Discuss Extending tails - SWA or Hi Tuff ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just wanted to know which people use.

My case.

Client converting attached garage into new rooms. Consumer Unit has to move to accomodate this and will be greater than 3m from meter. Void above garage is used to route cables to main house so can use this to route cable for extension to tails from new switched fuse to consumer unit. A 25mm 3-core SWA is normally used, but its really inflexible, so whats to stop Hi Tuff being used instead ? I dont see anything in BS7671 that mandates the use of SWA for this.

Thoughts anyone ?

You could avail of a number of cable options, provided they're adequately protected. Can you be certain that no one would damage tuff sheath cable in that void, with only switchfuse protecting them?

SWA is cheaper than HiTuff type cables, and the difference can be quite a lot on the larger sizes. This is presumably due to the much higher demand for SWA.

SWA is often used because it is the traditional choice and is usually more readily available in most wholesalers.

Reply to Extending tails - SWA or Hi Tuff ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Customer has an extension and this compromises existing meter position, DNO is extending incomer and putting meter box on a different...
Replies
Views
My sister has a cable feeding an outside boiler (see image). I want to tidy it up by adding a new piece of cable as shown. I can't see any ends...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Victron Multiplus-II 5kVA inverter/charger with Pylontech US5000 batteries installed in my house along with a 6.8kWp PV array and...
Replies
Views
TNC-S main supply with 16mm swa supplying garage consumer unit from main consumer unit in house, then 4mm swa supplying pond equipment through...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Can I ask you a DIY question? I'm refurbing a detached garage and adding a garden building. Garage currently has a submain supplied by...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock