Discuss Wiring up garage lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Joe

-
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum but am hoping for some advice on wiring for my garage.

Ive recently built a new garage at the bottom of the garden and have run 30m of 6mm swa from the house to a new consumer unit in the garage to power 2 florescent lights from a 6a MCB, a 13a socket from a 16a MCB and a 16a socket from a 20a MCB. Everything is correctly terminated and works properly.
However, I'd now like to add a switch to the lighting circuit rather than using the consumer unit to switch on and off. I have bought a 1 way outdoor switch for this circuit but believe I will need to add a ceiling rose/ junction box to avoid a short circuit. Please can someone look at my wiring diagram to let me know if they think it works. Is this the simplest option? Also would wiring like this pass regulations; I'm doing the work but will need this signed off by a spark when I'm finished.
Many thanks in advance.
Joe

Wiring up garage lighting 15371810667178925420155219383053 - EletriciansForums.net

that willl work, but you need to get your tame electrician to test before energising.do not power up before he's done the dead testing.

I have bought a 1 way outdoor switch for this circuit

Out of curiosity, why an outdoor switch? Why not just put a switch inside the garage?
Are there any extraneous conductive parts in your garage?
Also, as above, any RCD protection?

Hi I'm new to this forum but am hoping for some advice on wiring for my garage.

Ive recently built a new garage at the bottom of the garden and have run 30m of 6mm swa from the house to a new consumer unit in the garage to power 2 florescent lights from a 6a MCB, a 13a socket from a 16a MCB and a 16a socket from a 20a MCB. Everything is correctly terminated and works properly.
However, I'd now like to add a switch to the lighting circuit rather than using the consumer unit to switch on and off. I have bought a 1 way outdoor switch for this circuit but believe I will need to add a ceiling rose/ junction box to avoid a short circuit. Please can someone look at my wiring diagram to let me know if they think it works. Is this the simplest option? Also would wiring like this pass regulations; I'm doing the work but will need this signed off by a spark when I'm finished.
Many thanks in advance.
Joe

View attachment 44350

Hi Joe

If it's already wired and the switch is an addition, you could just wire your new switch back to the CU and do your connection in there.

Hi Joe

If it's already wired and the switch is an addition, you could just wire your new switch back to the CU and do your connection in there.
Failing any of the above you could get an Electrician to do the job properly, supply all the relevant certification etc.

I dont think anyone who asks q's on here wants an electrician or certification.
If that is the case why is everyone offering advice when we all know what is required certificate wise, and the rule of the Forum regarding offering advice to What appears to be a DIY job. Should got the job done by a professional in the first place, of course if the OP says he is an Electrician, then he should give up, or get a new career.

Last edited:
He is saying he wants a spark to sign it off at the end. He can use the Part P 3rd party sign off for that. Spark can inspect and test it and charge handsomely for it. If anything is amiss they can charge redo it or OP can redo it himself and the spark can charge again to inspect and test again until they are happy. 3rd party sign off is not cheap.

He is saying he wants a spark to sign it off at the end. He can use the Part P 3rd party sign off for that. Someone can inspect and test it and charge handsomely for it. If anything is amiss they can charge redo it or OP can redo it himself and the spark can charge again to inspect and test again until they are happy. 3rd party sign off is not cheap.
Like I said TJ should have got the job done right in the first place. People froging about with electrics when they don't know what they are doing is a recipe for danger and unnecessary expense.

Like I said TJ should have got the job done right in the first place. People froging about with electrics when they don't know what they are doing is a recipe for danger and unnecessary expense.

He's an adult and that's his decision what he chooses to do. The job may well be satisfactory. The spark who tests and inspects it will decide that.

I know what you're saying, but he only asked about a light switch lol. Why do we have to consider his whole install and certification? Someone is gonna ask about him "exporting" something in a minute hahaha :)

I know what you're saying, but he only asked about a light switch lol. Why do we have to consider his whole install and certification? Someone is gonna ask about him "exporting" something in a minute hahaha :)
TJ, the OP did the entire install

TJ, the OP did the entire install

Part P, inspection and testing?

Insurance not paying out ..............................

Could be a very expensive "saving" the OP is trying to make.

He's an adult and that's his decision what he chooses to do. The job may well be satisfactory. The spark who tests and inspects it will decide that.
If some one will take the test and inspect on, if the OP is taking that tack the the Person that's going to do the testing should have been involved from the outset of the job.

If some one will take the test and inspect on, if the OP is taking that tack the the Person that's going to do the testing should have been involved from the outset of the job.
Valid point Pete, if 3rd party should be inspected at each stage. But I'm guessing that it is all clipped direct surface etc. and all could be inspected in one visit.

Reply to Wiring up garage lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock