Discuss working as an electrician when not qualified? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mike Blair

Im 19 and have my level 2,3 2365 and 17th edition and had around 1.5 years work experience as an electricians mate. I have been trying to find work as an electricians mate but no luck because i can not drive. But i have been offered small electrical work i know how to do. but i have always been a bit weird about working with my current qualifications on my own as i am only qualified as an electricians mate from what my college told me. until i get my 2394,5 i can not get with napit etc etc. What should i do i need the money and no one will take me on because i can not drive. small jobs would help me out big time right now in time for driving lessons etc but is it ilegal / wrong working with my current qualifications? i only do jobs i know how to do ,comfortable with

well i got offered one on Wednesday where from what i have been told they want me to separate some lighting in an extension. they have just made a bathroom next to the kitchen and currently one switch controls all. so they want 1 switch for the kitchen and one for the bathroom

if you feel competent to do it, go for it. there's only 1 person that can help you and that is yourself. please feel free to pm me if you need any advice.

If you feel confident enough then crack on. A driving license is a must in this trade so apply for your provisional and start learning

18 months as a mate is not a completed apprenticeship. Is it fair on the unsuspecting public to go in to their homes and work on their electrical installation without having served the recognised period of time as an apprentice?

Is your insurance company aware of your level of qualification and experience and still happy to provide your public liability and professional indemnity etc insurances? Or are you planning to work in people's homes without any insurance?

If your mentor has deemed you ready to be out on your own doing small jobs then that is an entirely different story, they are in a position to be making that judgement.

If you feel confident enough then crack on. A driving license is a must in this trade so apply for your provisional and start learning [emoji6]

Yes of course you are right, a driving licence is a must, far more important than any of that apprenticeship nonsense, that's unnecessary if someone 'feels confident enough' isn't it!

Why, he could probably even just drive around without a licence too if he 'feels confident enough'

18 months as a mate is not a completed apprenticeship. Is it fair on the unsuspecting public to go in to their homes and work on their electrical installation without having served the recognised period of time as an apprentice?

Is your insurance company aware of your level of qualification and experience and still happy to provide your public liability and professional indemnity etc insurances? Or are you planning to work in people's homes without any insurance?

If your mentor has deemed you ready to be out on your own doing small jobs then that is an entirely different story, they are in a position to be making that judgement.

The Op has mentioned "small job." After completing his 2365 level 3 I reckon he's more than capable!

Yes of course you are right, a driving licence is a must, far more important than any of that apprenticeship nonsense, that's unnecessary if someone 'feels confident enough' isn't it!

Why, he could probably even just drive around without a licence too if he 'feels confident enough'

Christ! I wouldn't like you as a mentor! Bad day at the office?

The Op has mentioned "small job." After completing his 2365 level 3 I reckon he's more than capable!

Without seeing his work I would not like to make any reckoning as to his capabilities. To the best of my knowledge a 2365 can be attained entirely through theory and practical classroom work, although I am happy to be corrected on this point.

...Not as mad as you would think...

I did my first full kitchen rewire,at a friends parents house,having been dropped off and picked up by my dad,three evenings,and a weekend...

My excuse for that?.......I was fifteen years old :icon12:

I was 15,when started as Saturday boy, and school holidays.

PL being the most important. it's not like he's going out on a limb doing EICRs.

Mike, carry on with what you feel confident with. I'm sure after completing your 2365 level 2 & 3 you are more than capable of minor works etc!

Reply to working as an electrician when not qualified? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock