Discuss working as an electrician when not qualified? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Even I have insurance as a sparks mate. It costs £8 a month and covers me public and personal.

Why people don't have insurance is beyond me and I cannot endorse that.

My previous points do stand though.

You're obviously working where insurance is needed! My point is, for minor works as a trainee, why need insurance for minor works if you are competent? We've all done jobs here and there lol! I must be the only fraud on this site then! Oh well

Some of the naivety on this thread is astounding. How could anyone of any substance or understanding persuade anyone to work without insurance, and especially on a public forum ?
Should I cancel my contents and buildings insurance because I'm not planning on getting burgled or having a fire ?
In the event of something going wrong then competency has to be proved, not just known or reckoned by the individual.

Completion or supplementation of training should not be carried out in the public domain whilst charging customers for the privilege. Such foolhardy behaviour is for those who do not fully appreciate or understand the responsibilities involved in our profession.

Broad range of work so yes insurance is needed, I wouldn't want to f up a motor install on an industrial, too many zeros at the end of the figure for my liking.

I can see what you are saying as in x electrician works for y company and is employed by that company but on Saturday undertakes work for Mr M down the road when he would not be covered by insurance.

Last edited:
Insurance is there for when you f**k up! If you are competent to do the required job then why worry? At the end of the day, I'm talking about minor works! Get a grip! Jeez, it's not rocket science changing a socket or light switch!

I think the worst damage I have ever done to a customers property was at a single lightswitch. I'd caught a wire with a plate screw and the resultant black streak up the antique wallpaper cost my company a heck of a lot of money!

Or there is story from another industry I work in, a freelancer subcontracted to a company assumed the company's insurance would cover him and he was experienced and considered competant etc. It wasn't until after he crashed a large video wall in to the stage floor that he discovered that he wasn't covered.

You're obviously working where insurance is needed! My point is, for minor works as a trainee, why need insurance for minor works if you are competent? We've all done jobs here and there lol! I must be the only fraud on this site then! Oh well 

Minor works can actually be quite big things, you could be doing work in a special location for example, or you could even make lots of changes to multiple circuits and still class it as minor works. If you as to to get technical, a minor works certificate could be used for something like making quote big changes to a circuit when an EIC would be issued for a single socket next to the consumer unit which is less minor in a sense than making lots of potentially big changes to a circuit.

Minor works can actually be quite big things, you could be doing work in a special location for example, or you could even make lots of changes to multiple circuits and still class it as minor works. If you as to to get technical, a minor works certificate could be used for something like making quote big changes to a circuit when an EIC would be issued for a single socket next to the consumer unit which is less minor in a sense than making lots of potentially big changes to a circuit.

And your point??

I agree to an extent, but how far do you keep pushing your limits? Before you know if someone will say change my fuse box and you say yes. Either way though, you should be insured!

I think some people are exaggerating! How are trainees supposed to learn if they can't crack on with a menial job!

You'd be happy for a gas fitter to work in your house with the same attitude ?

"Hey I don't have insurance but that's for chumps right ? I don't need anyone to tell me how to do gas work I know I'm fine and that's all that matters lol. I'll finish your boiler install right after I've been on an internet forum and asked for help cos there are some bits I'm not sure of. Trust me geezer it'll all be fine."

"Hey I don't have insurance but that's for chumps right ? I don't need anyone to tell me how to do gas work I know I'm fine and that's all that matters lol. I'll finish your boiler install right after I've been on an internet forum and asked for help cos there are some bits I'm not sure of. Trust me geezer it'll all be fine."

You probably mean "plumber"! And there's a big difference between a boiler change and changing a socket!

I think some people are exaggerating! How are trainees supposed to learn if they can't crack on with a menial job!

When they are working with me trainees learn by doing the real work under my supervision as required. The menial jobs I often do myself so that they can carry on with the jobs they will learn more from.

haha hey I'm such a pro I'm not even going to test it as I know my soldering is second to none lol

Reply to working as an electrician when not qualified? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net