Discuss working as an electrician when not qualified? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I stand by my guns! Anyone who's completed the 2365 level 2 and 3 should be more than capable of doing minor works! In fact they should be capable of inspecting and testing their own installations!

When they are working with me trainees learn by doing the real work under my supervision as required. The menial jobs I often do myself so that they can carry on with the jobs they will learn more from.

Sounds good to me

It’s not just a good way, it’s the best way. It’s how I was treated as an apprentice and how I treated apprentices later.

You have a job to do and you set out how you’re going to do it, at that point you ask for confirmation. If it’s good, you move on to the next part of the job. On it goes to completion. At that point it becomes your work and you’ll take pride in. The trainee will have learnt far more than they would by doing what “Joe” said.

It’s not just a good way, it’s the best way. It’s how I was treated as an apprentice and how I treated apprentices later.

You have a job to do and you set out how you’re going to do it, at that point you ask for confirmation. If it’s good, you move on to the next part of the job. On it goes to completion. At that point it becomes your work and you’ll take pride in. The trainee will have learnt far more than they would by doing what “Joe” said.

A little bit off track! We'd all love an apprenticeship these days! Fact is they are few and far between! The OP was asking about small jobs etc... Mike had some very good advice in the first 5 posts!

I get treated like an apprentice maybe that's because everyone I work with I tell them where I'm at in my studies and what I want to achieve.

I would not do just what "bob" says especially if it is wrong and there is no pride in this or ownership.

I get treated like an apprentice maybe that's because everyone I work with I tell them where I'm at in my studies and what I want to achieve.

I would not do just what "bob" says especially if it is wrong and there is no pride in this or ownership.

Nowt wrong with being an apprentice! I wouldn't do what Bob said either

Good way and I’ll bet you get more help by setting out your goals first.

Nowt wrong with being an apprentice! I wouldn't do what Bob said either 

So what happens when “Bob” tells you to do something in a certain way?

Good way and I’ll bet you get more help by setting out your goals first.

So what happens when “Bob” tells you to do something in a certain way?

Now you are just biding for a fight lol Of course I would do as instructed from a mentor! I certainly wouldn't take advice from the site "Bob" lol.....

Providing the OP acquires the relatively inexpensive appropriate insurance(s) i can't see a problem for him to take on paying electrical work. He holds a level 3 core electrical qualification, has his 17th, and has 18 months experience working as a mate on site.

That's a bloody darn sight more and a far cry from the 1000s upon 1000's of bloody 17 day/Electrical Trainee chancers hold, and will in most cases, ever hold!!

Mike, follow the more sensible advice and before you do anything get some PL Insurance. 1M of cover for domestic work only doesn't cost a lot, probably could get it for £60-£80 a year.

That insurance is a must and anyone working without it is walking a fine line. It's nothing to do with how competent you feel you are, you could drop your pliers and damage a floor, damage wall paper etc etc

Mike, follow the more sensible advice and before you do anything get some PL Insurance. 1M of cover for domestic work only doesn't cost a lot, probably could get it for £60-£80 a year.

That insurance is a must and anyone working without it is walking a fine line. It's nothing to do with how competent you feel you are, you could drop your pliers and damage a floor, damage wall paper etc etc

Best advice yet.

yeahh im getting pl insurance for domestic straight away and i will carry out minor electrical work with cctv and alarm systems and i will test the electrical systems i do and log them for future if needed

Reply to working as an electrician when not qualified? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net