Discuss working as an electrician when not qualified? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Having read the full thread I can see why some trainees think sod this. So much for encouragement.

Not everything in life is learnt on an apprenticeship.

I am doing my qualifications through agency work as a sparks mate and college release days. No I'm not on an Apprenticeship but I'm learning the same syllabus as others, does it make me any less qualified?

I will be getting a very wide variety of work, I have worked on domestics, commercials and industrials as well as schools and colleges. You could say my work will be more varied than an apprentices who has to work to what their company does. But certainly does not make me any less qualified than them.

My point here is people assume a lot And say a lot of things which usually appears to discourage people.

If you disagree with something why not say you disagree and state your reasons instead of you have not done an apprenticeship.

Right rant over.

Having read the full thread I can see why some trainees think sod this. So much for encouragement.

Not everything in life is learnt on an apprenticeship.

I am doing my qualifications through agency work as a sparks mate and college release days. No I'm not on an Apprenticeship but I'm learning the same syllabus as others, does it make me any less qualified?

I will be getting a very wide variety of work, I have worked on domestics, commercials and industrials as well as schools and colleges. You could say my work will be more varied than an apprentices who has to work to what their company does. But certainly does not make me any less qualified than them.

My point here is people assume a lot And say a lot of things which usually appears to discourage people.

If you disagree with something why not say you disagree and state your reasons instead of you have not done an apprenticeship.

Right rant over.

Good for you mate. I think it is tough for the new ones these days with much less genuine opportunities that the old school were afforded.

Not harsh at all, do you know for certain Mike has insurance?

You’ve told him to crack on regardless without knowing the facts. That is stupidity personified.

Not harsh at all, do you know for certain Mike has insurance?

You’ve told him to crack on regardless without knowing the facts. That is stupidity personified.

So for all the electricians that have done favours for family, friends etc, without insurance or scheme membership, you'll class us all as "stupid." Wake up! Lol

i completed my level 1 2330 and they explained about how you have to do an nvq. so level 2 comes along and they transfair us all to the 2365 and we where the first class to go onto this course so the teachers did not really know much about it. i found a guy who was willing to take me on so for around 3 month i was in college monday tuesday and wenesday-friday working getting experiance etc.. so then he wanted to take me on as an apprentice but the college did not know how to get around it. so by the time i finished level 2 2365 they then said..you have to do the 2357 level 2-3....but the courses are the same just one has an nvq and an extra unit but then another teacher told me no dont do that.. complete you level 3 and do a bridging unit so i continue working for the guy and the teachers started getting angry at me because i was asking about the nvq and other teachers had different thoughts which left me and the guy i was working with confused at the time as i finished college "2330 level 1 , 2365 level 2,3 "3 years in college" my teachers then told the class we have to spend another 3 years doing the 2357. the teachers kept getting angry at me asking questions etc so i just left it as that have not been back since. but as i finished college work slowly dried up with the guy i was working with so i was looking for work ever since. did small od jobs with him but thats about it

i recently found out the only way for me to do an nvq is the 2357 and do the units i have not completed "i believe there's 2 units" and then do the nvq and am2 but just need someone to work with to doo my nvq

i have been trying so hard to become an electrician out of everyone else in my college course i am the only one continuing to become an electrician because they all give up and now work in a warehouse or tescos or something like that. its hard when you dont have an income and trying to get a van,car,insurances atm im looking into a goverment lone to start off because atm that looks like the only option

So for all the electricians that have done favours for family, friends etc, without insurance or scheme membership, you'll class us all as "stupid." Wake up! Lol 

I’m awake you obviously aren’t, point out the post that says this is for family or a friend. If this guy takes on paid work without insurance it’s his look out.

He can’t afford driving lessons never mind rebuilding a house when he’s made a mistake.

Stop acting like a fool, step back and look at the facts and consider the possible consequences.

i completed my level 1 2330 and they explained about how you have to do an nvq. so level 2 comes along and they transfair us all to the 2365 and we where the first class to go onto this course so the teachers did not really know much about it. i found a guy who was willing to take me on so for around 3 month i was in college monday tuesday and wenesday-friday working getting experiance etc.. so then he wanted to take me on as an apprentice but the college did not know how to get around it. so by the time i finished level 2 2365 they then said..you have to do the 2357 level 2-3....but the courses are the same just one has an nvq and an extra unit but then another teacher told me no dont do that.. complete you level 3 and do a bridging unit so i continue working for the guy and the teachers started getting angry at me because i was asking about the nvq and other teachers had different thoughts which left me and the guy i was working with confused at the time as i finished college "2330 level 1 , 2365 level 2,3 "3 years in college" my teachers then told the class we have to spend another 3 years doing the 2357. the teachers kept getting angry at me asking questions etc so i just left it as that have not been back since. but as i finished college work slowly dried up with the guy i was working with so i was looking for work ever since. did small od jobs with him but thats about it

i recently found out the only way for me to do an nvq is the 2357 and do the units i have not completed "i believe there's 2 units" and then do the nvq and am2 but just need someone to work with to doo my nvq

i have been trying so hard to become an electrician out of everyone else in my college course i am the only one continuing to become an electrician because they all give up and now work in a warehouse or tescos or something like that. its hard when you dont have an income and trying to get a van,car,insurances atm im looking into a goverment lone to start off because atm that looks like the only option

Mike, Don't give up!! You have more quals than many do carrying out work out there. 5 week course candidates carry out work with the backing of a competent persons scheme FFS. F£$k the nay sayers, do any private jobs that come up and get your money, then get your NVQ. It is harder now I know. The fact the others have dropped off your course will only make it sweeter once you are through. Seriously, don't drop out of it.

With the core qualifications that you've attained you can now go on to the NVQ3 and the AM2. At 19 you have the advantage of gaining an apprenticeship over old buggers like me! Keep trying, ring around local firms. Good luck.

Mike, Don't give up!! You have more quals than many do carrying out work out there. 5 week course candidates carry out work with the backing of a competent persons scheme FFS. F£$k the nay sayers, do any private jobs that come up and get your money, then get your NVQ. It is harder now I know. The fact the others have dropped off your course will only make it sweeter once you are through. Seriously, don't drop out of it.

I’m not telling him to give up, what I am saying is work within the legal framework.

I’m awake you obviously aren’t, point out the post that says this is for family or a friend. If this guy takes on paid work without insurance it’s his look out.

He can’t afford driving lessons never mind rebuilding a house when he’s made a mistake.

Stop acting like a fool, step back and look at the facts and consider the possible consequences.

I'm still learning! I also carry out minor works "without insurance" at friend's houses and word of mouth, ie customers! If you are competent to do the required job, then what's the problem? The emphasis being on the word "competent" end of!

Is that legally competent or is it in your mind? What you think is worth jack ---- in a court.

Do you tell your customers you’re qualified? If you do, you can add deception to the list.

Is that legally competent or is it in your mind? What you think is worth jack ---- in a court.

Do you tell your customers you’re qualified? If you do, you can add deception to the list.

Insurance is there for when you f**k up! If you are competent to do the required job then why worry? At the end of the day, I'm talking about minor works! Get a grip! Jeez, it's not rocket science changing a socket or light switch!

Even the most capable and competent make mistakes, everyone is only human. If whAt you are saying is true, most of the big shots on here would not have any insurance as they all claim to be the best and competent.... You are a fool not having insurance, and abigger fool thinking you will not make a mistake as you have convinced yourself that you are a pro.

Even the most capable and competent make mistakes, everyone is only human. If whAt you are saying is true, most of the big shots on here would not have any insurance as they all claim to be the best and competent.... You are a fool not having insurance, and abigger fool thinking you will not make a mistake as you have convinced yourself that you are a pro.

Well done for jumping on the bandwagon I thought someone who hasn't completed their apprenticeship would be more subtle!

Even I have insurance as a sparks mate. It costs £8 a month and covers me public and personal.

Why people don't have insurance is beyond me and I cannot endorse that.

My previous points do stand though.

Reply to working as an electrician when not qualified? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net