Discuss Yet another spark robbing customers! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i wouldnt get involved in anyway with this other spark and his own interpretation of the regs, especially for a £150 job, its nothing to do with you and if you confront this chap he will say the same.
if the scheme providers arnt interested or the customer aint interested in pursuing then niether should you be
i dont doubt for a moment that over the years i have probably made the odd mistake on a cert, were only human, and codes for pir/s can be a grey area.
were talking about £150 for gods sake, not £15,000!

if you came to my house and confronted me over some inaccurate pir codes (off day or whatever, you dont know the full story), i would kick your arse and i hope that if you do see this chap i hope he does!

you aint the police, bounty hunter, vigilante.

or at best he'll just swear at you and close the door.

dont even waste your time, just concentrate and doing your own jobs to your own standards and hope that no one ever knocks on your door.

peace out

Seems no one's got any get up and go these days! You're telling me you'd try kicking my arse for pointing out your shoddy work? If I carried out cack work and got called out on it I'd be ashamed, I certainly wouldn't be kicking anyones arse, and if I did, well, just shows what a mug I'd be and I'd deserve the jail time I got for it!

If by dropping a letter round some geezers house two roads down is going to provoke him into kicking off about it then at least his hospital stay will keep him from robbing people for a few weeks.

Like I said, the country is in a mess, and so is our profession, and if dropping a letter round someones house stands even the slightest change of changing something then I'll do it, coz no one else is gonna do anything about it. And even if it changes nothing, at least I can hold my head up high knowing that I've tried! We all moan about the problems in this industry, but how many of us are actually prepared to do something about it???

The way I see it, if you aren't prepared to at least try and find a solution, then you're part of the problem.

i agree mate there is a problem with the trade and the public who go to b n q and carry on with there own electrical work, but you said you hand deliver it in person. which i pressumed meant giving it to him in person which is gonna possibly cause a confrontation.

youre right in what you say and all i would do is post it through his letter box and leave.

going face to face with this chap is gonna be interesting if you know what i mean lol

didnt mean to sound dodgy mate but you dont know the full strory, a few errors here and there that may be down to all sorts of reasons.

end of the day its people like us that want to do a good job and not rip people off that will always have work on (hopefully) and people like this bloke are gonnna get a bad name in the long run, bad news travels fast.

good luck with what you do

rich

- No RCD protection - Code 2? (not needed as install is pre 16th)
If there is a socket that in theory could be used to supply outside items or if no sup bonding maybe he was justified

- No circuit charts - Code 2?
This isnt a C2

- Non working light - Code 1???????
I was once advised (by an NIC assessor) that a non working light could be put as a C1 on the basis that if it isn't a lamp then it could give rise to an immediate problem somewhere on the circuit.

- Old DB needs removing - Code 1? (Bearing in mind it was dead and not connected to anything)
No explanation.

- Three cracked sockets - Code 1 (made up)
Did you check each and every socket (he could have meant back boxes, the reverse side, the termination parts.

- Exposed wires in light fitting - Code 1 (made up)
Are you sure you didn't miss which light he was talking about?

Got to be careful on pulling others work tbh. By all means tell the customer but for the things listed personally i wouldnt go any further and just be happy that in future you will probably get the work.

You say you want him to refund the £150 for the PIR (which if he is NIC then up to june i believe a PIR was fine) but are his tests ok? Did you take any readings to verify his results.

I think a lot of the time its the form filling that makes electricians look bad. You can know all the info but if it isnt recorded or understood how to record it then this is where problems tend to lie.

Also although he pulled these things he never actually went back to do them so hasn't robbed exactly. All he has done is charge £150 and for all you know spent a full day there checking things. (Did you inspect every socket for cracks and every light fitting for exposed wires.

I am not having a go but i wouldn't be jumping to conclusions either until i knew all sides of the story, and i would certainly be a little annoyed if another electrician turned up at my door to talk to me about something that in all fairness is nothing to do with him. Any contractual agreement is between this spark and the customer. I really wouldn't be getting involved.

i agree mate there is a problem with the trade and the public who go to b n q and carry on with there own electrical work, but you said you hand deliver it in person. which i pressumed meant giving it to him in person which is gonna possibly cause a confrontation.

youre right in what you say and all i would do is post it through his letter box and leave.

going face to face with this chap is gonna be interesting if you know what i mean lol

didnt mean to sound dodgy mate but you dont know the full strory, a few errors here and there that may be down to all sorts of reasons.

end of the day its people like us that want to do a good job and not rip people off that will always have work on (hopefully) and people like this bloke are gonnna get a bad name in the long run, bad news travels fast.

good luck with what you do

rich
if they want to go to orange shed and get stuff...let em.....then when it all goes ---- up....we get called to sort it out for em.....its up to folk what they buy...their paying for it....

i agree mate there is a problem with the trade and the public who go to b n q and carry on with there own electrical work,
Oh come on mate, it's not just our trade you can buy anything in there just about. Even pipework, radiators and boilers!
Every construction trade is affected by them, always has been and always will and there's not a damn thing you me or anyone else can do about it. Even before they came about there were DIY shops in my home town, probably your's too so it's always happened.
Not wanting to start a bunfight here but do you do your own decorating or do you use the services of a reputable time served painter and decorator?

Exactly, almost all the electrical wholesalers round here also sell for cash too, so it really isn't possible to stop the general public buying electrical goods.

Seems no one's got any get up and go these days! You're telling me you'd try kicking my arse for pointing out your shoddy work? If I carried out cack work and got called out on it I'd be ashamed, I certainly wouldn't be kicking anyones arse, and if I did, well, just shows what a mug I'd be and I'd deserve the jail time I got for it!

If by dropping a letter round some geezers house two roads down is going to provoke him into kicking off about it then at least his hospital stay will keep him from robbing people for a few weeks.

Like I said, the country is in a mess, and so is our profession, and if dropping a letter round someones house stands even the slightest change of changing something then I'll do it, coz no one else is gonna do anything about it. And even if it changes nothing, at least I can hold my head up high knowing that I've tried! We all moan about the problems in this industry, but how many of us are actually prepared to do something about it???

The way I see it, if you aren't prepared to at least try and find a solution, then you're part of the problem.

D Skelton Im confused.......
Are you a violent thug or a do-gooder? You seem to be claiming to be both.....

Yeah you can be Dave, remember the Guardian Angels that came over from New York a few years back and were patrolling the tube in London on the pretext of safeguarding passengers?
I reckon they were just up for a bit pagga meself but they claimed to be do gooders:)

It was pretty obvious he didn't give a crap, description of work was 'shower'

Tonkatoy, forgive me if Im wrong but if my memory serves correctly you are the guy who argued on a previous thread that you would be willing to do a C/U change and leave it with no main bonding if the client wasn't willing to pay extra for bonding when you quoted.
As I said on that thread, I wouldn't do this myself, but I have no problem if thats what you wanna do, its up to you, Im not going to lose any sleep or go snitching just cos I dont think its fair.

Yet you go snitching when someone does a C/U change and doesn't record test results for the old install.....
Pot kettle black?

Yeah you can be Dave, remember the Guardian Angels that came over from New York a few years back and were patrolling the tube in London on the pretext of safeguarding passengers?
I reckon they were just up for a bit pagga meself but they claimed to be do gooders:)
Cant say I remember trev I was just a nipper back then but I just looked em up, seems like we could do with a few of them around these days, not that I ever go to inner cities mind.

D Skelton Im confused.......
Are you a violent thug or a do-gooder? You seem to be claiming to be both.....

I'm someone concerened about theives putting a bad name to our trade and If someone is going to try and kick my head in for pointing that out then I'll happily defend myself.

At no point have I hinted that I'm gonna go round bashing up crap electricians?!

Can't really see how I'm claiming to be a violent thug?

And to those of you with the attitude 'It's got nothing to do with you, leave it alone', have a read of this thread:

forged quals dangerous work long story but worth the read

I caught a rogue trader red handed, got the money back for the customer (all be it only the original £45), had trading standards on to him and now he's disappeared!

The guy was a regular advertiser on local websites and in local papers and I've no doubt that this criminal has nicked loads of work off local, decent, honest, hard working sparks by undercutting them hugely and I've seen or heard nothing of him since. More work for us, customer happy and better off for it and a rogue sparks seems to have stopped trading.

Or maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut and let things carry on as usual???

Whether I'm helping someone out for £45 or £45,000, at least I can say I'm part of the solution!

I was once advised (by an NIC assessor) that a non working light could be put as a C1 on the basis that if it isn't a lamp then it could give rise to an immediate problem somewhere on the circuit.

Thats one of the most stupid justifications of using a code 1 fault i've ever heard.
Assessor would get laughed off my site for coming out with that.

Or maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut and let things carry on as usual???

No , you should advise your customer to take action using the systems already in place to deal with this issue.
For example written complaints to the local authority and scheme provider.

So , if i did an inspection on an installation that you had previously tested and recorded different defect codes , is it ok if i come banging at your door with a letter saying how rubbish i think you are ?

i have read through this thread begining to end.
and i have to say if your not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
its our duty as upstanding tradesmen to uphold our living.

god knows we are not getting any help from the like s of the nic ect.

so if we all did our bit in exposing all the cowboys. we could all justify charging for an honest days work.

and in turn the cowboys would start to realise that they would actually be found out and reported. in turn paying the consiquences for thier actions.

i have a dream........ lol

No , you should advise your customer to take action using the systems already in place to deal with this issue.
For example written complaints to the local authority and scheme provider.

What systems?!?!? There are none, no one cares!

So , if i did an inspection on an installation that you had previously tested and recorded different defect codes , is it ok if i come banging at your door with a letter saying how rubbish i think you are ?

If I had recorded a few different codes, maybe not been very professional with the paperwork then no, however if I had made a dozen problems up, charged the customer £150 for a worthless piece of paper and coded everything wrong then I'd only have myself to blame if you were to confront me about it.

You don't hear the criminals confronted by Matt Alright and Dom Littlewood complaining do you? Coz they only have themselves to blame!

And there is a vast difference between being unprofessional, unqualified or inexperienced and being fraudulent in my opinion.

So report away, LABC will do nothing, CPS operators will do nothing, Trading Standards will do nothing.
One of the biggest cowboys in my town rides around in a van plastered in NICEIC, FMB, C&G logos and according to the rules he is competent.

Reply to Yet another spark robbing customers! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net