Discuss 1500 watt dimmer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Tapouchoke

Hi guys
I have a public house with a bank of switches x3 on each switch is 1100 watts of gu10 lights
the client has asked me to dim them I will be doing it adjacent to the board where the light switches are so space is not a problem any of you guys know where I can get three from as my wholesalers let me down

thanks for reading :cool:

another option might be to install a lutron system.... ive heard you can dim larger loads with there systems....ive never seen a 1500w dimmer think you might need a 47mm back box for it if you find one that will kick out some real heat.

i have fitted a few of these are they are not too bad compared to some normal load dimmers.

But as you say, maybe splitting the circuit would be a better idea.

Hi guys
I have a public house with a bank of switches x3 on each switch is 1100 watts of gu10 lights
the client has asked me to dim them I will be doing it adjacent to the board where the light switches are so space is not a problem any of you guys know where I can get three from as my wholesalers let me down

thanks for reading :cool:
I have used 1500 watt dimmers before but sorry I can't remember the make.They didn't fit a standard box,were only about 2 inches wide,about 8 inches high and about 6inches into wall.I'm pretty sure they were over a hundred quid. I once saw a variable speed drive used as a dimmer and I believe this costs a lot less.

I have a min of 9 GU10's to fit in a kitchen, the customer wants them all switched on together and dimmed.

Do i have to double the Wattage of each (50%) giving 900w total load, meaning I should buy the 1000w dimmer linked above ?? is this my only option? apart from splitting the lights in 2.. and is the buzzing from these dimmers when turned down anoyingly loud?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a min of 9 GU10's to fit in a kitchen, the customer wants them all switched on together and dimmed.

Do i have to double the Wattage of each (50%) giving 900w total load, meaning I should buy the 1000w dimmer linked above ?? is this my only option? apart from splitting the lights in 2.. and is the buzzing from these dimmers when on full load anoyingly loud?
Hi,I can't think why you would have to "double the wattage" but I recon I'd go for a standard 600watt
dimmer switch....and by the way the buzzing tends to occur when they are turned down to the minimum,this can vary with make you choose.

With halogen lamps, you have to derate the dimmer by at least 25%, this is for the 'arcing' that occurs within the lamp toward the end of the lamps life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 1500 watt dimmer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock