Discuss 2 circuits in one room in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pc070772

Hi there,
Quick question for you all.
At work we have just knocked 2 rooms into one large room to make a bigger staff rest room.
The sockets in the left half of the new room is fed from the electricians workshop to its left which has its own circuit from the D/B
The right half currently has no socket outlets at all. To its right is the painters workshop also on its own circuit from the D/B.

As the only sockets required on the right hand side of the rest room happen to have socket outlets on the other side of the wall in the painters workshop my boss wants us to use these by extending the ring.

The problem has occured due to full height windows in the centre on the room and my boss does not want them spanned by conduit. But the electrcian set to do the work says it must all be done off the same circuit.

I believe he is wrong.

Is there any regs saying no to this or is the electrician playing it safe with the thought of future electricians 'assuming' the whole room would be dead when 1 circuit is isolated.:confused:

all i can think of is that if you have three phase coming in and both D/B's are on different phases then you would have 400V between the sockets on the two circuits.

This not to say you cant do it just means you have to have warning label on the sockets.

Cant see any other reason why not

Under the 17th having rings split different ways will become common, such as not having up and down rings but having one half the house on one ring and the other half on another ring (on seperate rcd's)

Unsure as to whether or not both or either of the DB's are 3 phase boards if so then providing you go ahead and supply from either board just ensure they are both on the same phase,ensuring the touch voltage as per requirement when performing Zs does not exceed 50v,between phase and earth.If this cannot be achieved then ensure at least a 2m space is between either sockets on respective rings.As someone mentioned earlier labelling on or near the socket with circuit description will indicate a potential hazard.

Under the 17th having rings split different ways will become common, such as not having up and down rings but having one half the house on one ring and the other half on another ring (on seperate rcd's)

I've come across this method for rings on a few older installations (my place included before I rewired it), looks like we may be comming full circle.

But the electrcian set to do the work says it must all be done off the same circuit.

Is there any regs saying no to this or is the electrician playing it safe with the thought of future electricians 'assuming' the whole room would be dead when 1 circuit is isolated.:confused:

As already said the only thing that springs to mind is the possibility of two differing phases with in close proximity to one another.
The potential problem of future electricians assuming that the whole room had been isolated could be overcome by labeling every outlet in the room with DB/phase/circuit number (but you probably already know that).

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 2 circuits in one room in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock