Discuss 2 way bathroom switch not working (old and new one) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've recently moved into rented property and I currently have no lighting in the bathroom (2 wall lamps and 3 ceiling lamps).
The landlord believed it to be an intermittent issue and said they'd get an electrician in to replace the 2 way cord switch. I said I'd replaced my own in the past and got a replacement and fitted it following the original wiring but it still doesn't work. There is a second one way corded switch that's not used and looks ok but it has no effect

New switch

2 way bathroom switch not working (old and new one) PXL_20220807_130226779 - EletriciansForums.net2 way bathroom switch not working (old and new one) PXL_20220806_150357733 - EletriciansForums.net
Original switch...

If it's not the switch any ideas as to what it could be, as I'll ask the landlord to get an electrician in unless something is obvious from my pics..many thanks

Nothing obvious from the pics, although it does appear to confirm it as 2 way wiring. Curious as to why a bathroom would have a 2W switch (or presumably, 2 x 2W switches).

It is a 2way switch? That means there should be another switch that controls the same lights.

There could be a problem with that switch, not the one your changing.

Ideally, you should leave any electrical work for the landlord to sort… but I know it’s not always possible to get done right away.

Edit.
Find the other end… yellow in Common this end, should be yellow in Common at other end.

Last edited:
I think the second cord switch would have been used in the past, it's by an exterior door that isn't used. I'm in an annexe separate to the main house and my building was likely a stables in the past.
I've attached a pic of the second switch.
If the wiring is all correct in both switches, assuming the second original one is faulty would totally disconnecting it allow the new replacement one to work?
2 way bathroom switch not working (old and new one) PXL_20220814_102605160 - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• 2 way bathroom switch not working (old and new one) PXL_20220814_102605160 - EletriciansForums.net
    PXL_20220814_102605160.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 1
From the first switch… disconnect the red/yellow and blue of the 3 core cable that comes to this second switch.

Connect the red/black from the same twin cable across Com and one of the other two terminals… leave the third terminal empty.

That will leave the one switch working as a 1 way, taking the second switch out of circuit.

That should give you light in the bathroom until the landlord can get it fixed properly.

Have you anything to test cables with?

At your switch with the two cables ditch the red, yellow and blue and just connect the red and black of the two core across COM and one of the other terminals see if it works.

From the first switch… disconnect the red/yellow and blue of the 3 core cable that comes to this second switch.

Connect the red/black from the same twin cable across Com and one of the other two terminals… leave the third terminal empty.

That will leave the one switch working as a 1 way, taking the second switch out of circuit.

That should give you light in the bathroom until the landlord can get it fixed properly.

Have you anything to test cables with?
Snap we did that the same time.

So this is the brand new switch with just the red and black wired in (and ground), if I've read what you've said correctly I should be getting power to the lights, but I still have nothing. Before I give up completely, would totally disconnecting the unused 2nd switch help? Could that be stopping the current reaching the new switch?
(My tool kit with tester is unfortunately in storage)
2 way bathroom switch not working (old and new one) PXL_20220814_135641820 - EletriciansForums.net

You need to put one wire into COM it looks like they are in L1 and L2. Doesn't matter which one you move.

What are the terminals marked where you've connected the red and black?
The red should be in the terminal marked common or C.

And just a reminder that you use the red that is in the same cable as the black…. Not the red that’s with the yellow and blue.

Many thanks guys, really appreciate the help you've all provided me with today.
All wired in, loose wires insulated and up and running2 way bathroom switch not working (old and new one) PXL_20220814_144922115 - EletriciansForums.net

If the door was hinged on the other side you could have a ordinary plate switch in the normal position.

Reply to 2 way bathroom switch not working (old and new one) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock