Search the forum,

Discuss 3A fuse for bathroom fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if this 3A fuse requierment is also seen on fans sold in the EU where small fuses are pretty much unheard of for mains supply use?
Would it be a comepletely insane idea to request fan manufacturers to market a fan not requiring a 3 amp fuse?. Which to my knowledge works pretty well in most countries.
Secondly would it be sensible to treat a fan with a permanent live in the same manner as we treat a ceiling rose with a permanent live? Or should we start installing 3 pole isolators for them too?

Would it be a comepletely insane idea to request fan manufacturers to market a fan not requiring a 3 amp fuse?. Which to my knowledge works pretty well in most countries.
Secondly would it be sensible to treat a fan with a permanent live in the same manner as we treat a ceiling rose with a permanent live? Or should we start installing 3 pole isolators for them too?

It could happen if manufacturers start fitting motors to ceiling roses.

Which is precisely the situation you would have replacing a ceiling rose in the bedroom next door to the bathroom. Need a head torch?
Unusual for a bedroom not to have a window though.

Don’t the applicable building regs stipulate the fan must be able to be isolated separately from the sole source of light if the bathroom doesn’t have a window?

I couldn't see how fans could be compared to ceiling roses. The former has its permanent live connected for overrun of a motor, whereas permanent live at a ceiling rose is simply a junction.
Correct. But my point related not to the purpose of the permanent live (be it ceiling rose or fan) but to the fact that an electrician deals effortlessly with the replacement of a ceiling rose without the need for a local isolator so why can we not do similarly with a fan?

Correct. But my point related not to the purpose of the permanent live (be it ceiling rose or fan) but to the fact that an electrician deals effortlessly with the replacement of a ceiling rose without the need for a local isolator so why can we not do similarly with a fan?

But an extractor is a more complicated mechanical assembly with various moving parts. Also may need cleaning out periodically.

I’d argue it’s equally for the convenience of the occupier. A fan motor is more likely to fail at some point than a ceiling rose with no moving parts and without a DP or TP isolator that failed component may well result in a home being plunged into darkness until the fan can be replaced.

Less likely with modern boards and multiple lighting circuits, but still possible in smaller properties or older ones.

It's an argument. Not sure I, m won over by it. I, m all for local isolation of course. But I, m all for consistancy in its application too.
Consistency? Have you read BS7671? :p

In seriousness I see a fan isolator as being needed for same reason you need accessible isolators for kitchen equipment (the building standards in Scotland do anyway); It gives occupiers a safe and convenient means of isolating equipment that’s likely to develop a fault.

Last edited:

As others have stated, I never considered fan isolators being fitted for the convenience of electricians, but for occupants who need to safely isolate when fan motor is failing or has failed.

Obviously local isolation is also important for those home owners or tenants who wish to propagate mould.

I enjoy reading these discussions, with back and forth of differing opinions. Generally it's read only for me, but I wasn't quite getting why fans and ceiling roses were being compared in terms of local isolation.

You said we manage without an isolator for a rose, but not a fan. And I'm saying that a motorised appliance needs an isolator for maintenance.

Or in case of a fault of course, as mentioned by others.
They are all reasonable points. But the triple pole isolator was introduced originally, not for the reasons you mention above (though valid) but because of the perceived dangers of the permanent live at the fan itself, should someone attempt to change or service the fan. Of course the exact same dangers are present at a ceiling rose. An amateur would be at risk in both scenario, s.

They are all reasonable points. But the triple pole isolator was introduced originally, not for the reasons you mention above (though valid) but because of the perceived dangers of the permanent live at the fan itself, should someone attempt to change or service the fan. Of course the exact same dangers are present at a ceiling rose. An amateur would be at risk in both scenario, s.

I get where you're coming from and it's easier to access live parts in a ceiling rose, than in a fan.

On the other hand, routine household maintenance at a ceiling rose would only involve replacing a lamp which is far removed from the rose. While a home owner may decide to change a failed fan, most would be considerably less likely to do this and would simply switch it off in the short (or longer) term.

Reply to 3A fuse for bathroom fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back