Currently reading:
Testing ip camera without the nvr

Discuss Testing ip camera without the nvr in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
One of my customers managed to fry the rj45 socket on a Lorex (cheap!) brand ip camera. No idea how, but the pins are cooked.

IMG_5474.jpeg

He had purchased a new socket but needed someone else to repair. It’s an rj45 with a standard power jack on the side.

Of course, the colours are all different.. so I made up a little test rig with a cut up patch cable to work out what does what. The power hack works. Red and black. Slightly larger cores… continuity tested.

I think I’m right with it but it’s an hours drive to plug it in just to test it.

From the new socket, I’ve got a spare core that isn’t connected to anything… can’t even trace it to a pin… and on the socket itself, there’s nothing on pins 4 and 7 if I remember. Definitely 2 pins unused.

TLDR; how can I test an ip camera without the dvr?

As @mainline has pointed to, basically almost every camera will have a web page that lets you configure it and see the images. If you have got a working connection the camera should become available.

Most IP cameras I have used are PoE to save extra power supplies per camera, most NVR support this (maybe?) but very few (to none) of home networking kit, etc, support that. So often to test that aspect you need a PoE injector. Or use a separate PSU using the other least seen in the photo, assuming someone has the matching PSU and that connector has not also been trashed by water ingress.

Or to splash out on a small PoE switch!

Ok… so connect to router… ?

I’ll have to find the camera brands software…

So what might have caused the burnout? A spider got into the plug?

If you can log in to your own router it should list all devices that it is serving (DHCP assignment of an IP address) and hopefully you will see the camera listed. Not all devices give their name, or if they do it is a random gibberish string, so you might have to find it by elimination of what devices you expect to be listed (laptop, phones, firestick on TV, etc).

Most IP cameras have a web server built in, so if you then put that IP address in you your web browser it should come back with the camera's log-in page or similar.

If you are luck enough to have a managed switch like the Zyxel GS1900-10HP we use for some things (cheap-ish and has fibre SFP ports that we use for any runs longer than 100m copper Ethernet limit) then you can see that matching port light up so you know if the camera is there and how much power it is taking.
Looks like water corrosion to me.

You could try this

Ive got one similar to this but i think only ever used it a few times.

Reply to Testing ip camera without the nvr in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock