Search the forum,

Discuss 6Kw Sauna in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I apologise in advance for lack of knowledge i this subject as I only work in domestic, a mate owns a commercial gym and has a 6 Kw sauna heater which comprises of 3x 2Kw elements.

He asked me to look at it as he has fallen out with his normal electrician over prices, he told me that he has had a few problems with it in the past which is normally related to the elements failing.
The fault as described to me was that it just wasn't working.

I started at the board which is a 3 phase board, the sauna is on a single phase 40A RCBO, which was in the off position, after isolating the supply at the RCBO I traced the 10mm T+E to a 45A DP Switch which was checked and isolated.

I then dismantled the heater and checked continuity on all of the elements, all appeared to be working, then I traced the wiring back from the heater which is some type of heat flex it has 6 cores and earth and appeared to be 3 line conductors and 3 neutrals. I then followed the cable back to a IP enclosure which was on the side of the sauna in quite a humid area, the cover was off and I found the mess in the picture, no wonder the RCBO had tripped!

The contactor is a Moller Dil 1M, it appears to overheated on the neutral supply side which is fed in 10mm T+E going back to the 45A DP switch as mentioned earlier.

My questions are, why would the original installer have fitted a contactor, it's not high voltage switching and more importantly, why has it over heated? The cable sizes would all appear to be correct and judging by the heat damage the RCBO has only blown when the Neutral cable has burnt completely through and broken the link.

I have disconnected the entire supply from the board and removed the contactor, I've told him its beyond me and told him to get the yellow pages out!

contactor.jpg

I would imagine the neutral was loose as Glen said, you'll find that 95 times out of an hundred it is always the neutral.

Also it's not high voltage why you fit the contactor, but an high load. As this box is fixed to the unit, was this not part of the manufacturers control system?

I would imagine that the switch which is double pole or even single pole is controlling the contactor coil, so it can switch all 3 elements on via this

Last edited:
I would imagine the neutral was loose as Glen said, you'll find that 95 times out of an hundred it is always the neutral.

Also it's not high voltage why you fit the contactor, but an high load. As this is box is fixed to the unit, was this not part of the manufacturers control system?
I would imagine that the switch which is double pole or even single pole is controlling the contactor coil, so it can switch all 3 elements on via this

Thanks for the reply, the smaller flex you see in the pic comes from the timer and is controlling the switching element of the contactor, you may be right in that it is part of the installation instructions but it looks a bit DIY to me the IP enclosure doesn't look big enough to house the contactor perhaps why the cover was off? I wouldn't have thought that the load, 26A, would be classed as a high load?

must admit the wiring in the last pic doesnt look factory fitted.
What rating was the contactor ?
dont suppose it matters now , it needs replacing and he cable re-making off anyway.

Loose neutral in on the contactor terminal inside on the bridge piece , and not on the cable terminal then , never the less thats a lose neutral .
It all looks good to me and factory standard , don't forget it is the thermostat that is switching the load so would you put that 26A straight through it or go through the contactor instead ?
If you go on the net , there are plenty of suppliers about for this sort of kit , i have just brought a new 8KW heater and remote controller like this to replace one on my own sauna , it was a Oceanic which seems to be good i also have a Oceanic steam generator in a shower in the same bathroom that has been going strong for several years now !

Last edited:
Loose neutral in on the contactor terminal inside on the bridge piece , and not on the cable terminal then , never the less thats a lose neutral .
It all looks good to me and factory standard , don't for get it is the thermostat that is switching the load so would you put that 26A straight through it or go through the contactor instead ?
If you go on the net , there are plenty of suppliers about for this sort of kit , i have just brought a new 8KW heater and remote controller like this to replace one on my own sauna , it was a Oceanic which seems to be good i also have a Oceanic steam generator in a shower in the same bathroom that has been going strong for several years now !

Thanks for the reply, just had a good look at the contactor and the neutral grub screw does appear to have been loose as you have all said!

My only other concern is why is the CPC in the A2 terminal on the 2nd pic, shouldn't the A1 and A2 be line and neutral respectively?

Reply to 6Kw Sauna in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock