Discuss 6mm main earth on tt system in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tc50

6MM MAIN EARTH on a tt system with 100 ohm ze at db ,it runs under patio to rod .do i have to upgrade it as it means patio has to come up ? old wylex 6 way rewireable fuse board protected by old crabtree 60amp elcb i have to add a spur for a stannah stair lift and upgrade the non existing bonding customer not happy where do i stand?

Last edited by a moderator:
Without checking the regs and to my recollection the minimum CSA to a rod on TT is something really small like 2.5mm, so 6mm is fine.

... After checking the OSG 2.5mm is fine if protected against corrosion and mechanical damage, otherwise 16mm if protected against corrosion and buried, or 25mm if unprotected.
If not buried 2.5mm is ok if protected against corrosion and mechanical damage, otherwise 4mm, so again, 6mm is fine.
Table 4.2

So I suppose the question would be whether you would consider the main earth run under a patio to be 'buried'. Technically it is, but I can't imagine someone digging/drilling into it through the patio tiles.

6MM MAIN EARTH on a tt system with 100 ohm ze at db ,it runs under patio to rod .do i have to upgrade it as it means patio has to come up ? The electrode should be visible for inspection,which it wont be under the patio.However as you are only undertaking minor works as long as the electrode Ra is ok you could just note it on your MW cert...(or install another rod elsewhere??) old wylex 6 way rewireable fuse board protected by old crabtree 60amp elcb i have to add a spur for a stannah stair lift and upgrade the non existing bonding customer not happy where do i stand?An ELCB is no longer an acceptable means of earth fault protection,either upgrade to RCD,or fit an RCD purely for the circuit you are altering....either way you cant use an ELCB for EFP for your alteration. Your call on main bonding,it should be in place...but if you consider that lack of bonding does not affect the safety of your install you may decide to omit it and note the reason on your cert....that would be a last resort.

WP just for the sake of discussion, if that ELCB was current activated and you tested it, and if passed, would you still change it?

That's a good point, there was an ELCB and a VOELCB-the latter of which is now deemed not to comply.

The main earth was usually taken to the VOELCB on a terminal labelled 'Frame' or 'F' whereas the ELCB will not usually have an earth terminal and will have an IΔn value on the front.

WP just for the sake of discussion, if that ELCB was current activated and you tested it, and if passed, would you still change it?

That's a good point, there was an ELCB and a VOELCB-the latter of which is now deemed not to comply.

The main earth was usually taken to the VOELCB on a terminal labelled 'Frame' or 'F' whereas the ELCB will not usually have an earth terminal and will have an IΔn value on the front.

Was taking ELCB to be a voltage operated trip....the old chilton one for example.....cant say I have come across any other sort apart from obviously RCD's.

6mm main earth on tt system {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

WP here is a current operated one, I managed to track down on wiki................. I have to admit they would not be found in numbers like the old VOELCB you mean mate, as very soon after they were introduced, the actual RCD was introduced.

Not come across one of those before malc......but I guess if it tripped within the required time it's ok to leave....??

Must admit, i can't say i've ever seen Matsu****a (Panasonic) protective devices used in the UK, especially at that time. Common as muck in the Middle and Far East.... and pretty decent too, apart from the protection curves offered, which are more akin to Yank curves!!!

That must be one of the first DP RCBO produced ...lol!! Looks like it has a breaking capacity to match the re-wirable BS 3036 fuse boards it was probably installed with too!!

Wonder what that ''Interchangeable type'' means ?? lol!!

Thanks for your response man thats exactly what i done fitted rcd to that circuit only and bonded water and oil pipes which brought zs at d.b. Down to 60 ohms from 100 so worth doing.incidently i got a pfc of 4amps at d.b. Is this acceptable

Thanks for your response man thats exactly what i done fitted rcd to that circuit only and bonded water and oil pipes which brought zs at d.b. Down to 60 ohms from 100 so worth doing.incidently i got a pfc of 4amps at d.b. Is this acceptable

I'm guessing you mean 4000A ie 4kA?
Remember PFC is measured between L-E and L-N assuming a single phase supply.

You've measured PEFC not PFC.......

For pefc 4 amps sounds alright.
I calculate 3.8 from your results.
Although the bonding will not reduce your Ze.
Make sure you test the pssc as this will be higher in your case,
And the highest result is recorded as your PFC.

I hope 4a is below your device sc ratings LOL

Hi People, So just to confirm, as I have a similer situation in respect of addition / extension of a ring main at a property with a TT system, which does not have any main earth electrode, (which I will be fitting this week) but has a VOELCB feeding the Consumer unit, which is very full as I wanted to install an RCBO on the circuit I've fitted, but can't get it in! So would changing the VOELCB for an RCD to cover the whole CU suffice, or have I opened a can of worms here and try and talk the customer to upgrade the whole board??

Thanks in advance

Reply to 6mm main earth on tt system in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock