Currently reading:
A matter of opinion

Discuss A matter of opinion in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

An qualified electrician as a minimum should have -

• Total voters
B

boogaloo

This poll should really be for approved electricians. Asking the question, how many years LESS commercial experience should todays graduating electricians have to have than I did ?
A. No years less at all, because the scope of the electrical craftsman has not decreased.
B.1 year less.
C.2 years less.
D.3 years less because it is a lot easier now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your question and poll do not match

How about:

A electrician should be someone with the appropriate qualifications (2330,2382+2391 as a minimum), experience and confidence to be working in the current enviroment. I wouldnt be confident worki9ng in heavy industry or hospitals etc but i dont see why i shouldnt be working within light industry and hotels etc etc

As i said its just my opinion, and please dont think im dismissing what you are saying i just get a little offended awith the attitude that you cant be a electrician unless you serve your time.

Im a bright bloke with above average ability and i think the most important thing for a good spark is to know the limitations to his ability and work within them.

Yea I prefer hightower's definition. I don't think you can say whether you are good at anything simply because you've been doing it for a set length of time.

good point there high tower. someone with 20 years experience might still be crap. yet a youngster with only 2 years on the tools might be excellent.

How can someone employed on the tools for 20 years be crap. Who would have employed someone for that amount of time if they were crap.
You will find the people who advocate the slipping in the back door with 2 years experience are generally the ones who have done just that.
No offence, but this poll was for JIB approved electricians only

The Arms members are out in force.
The truth hurts. BTW I have boosted you guys' thanks ratio. It's nice to be (super) nice

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at all my friend,

Im sorry i diddnt realise that you only wanted to poll the opinions of the JIB elite, im sorry mate.

However before i bow out of this thread i do have to agree that years of service have nothing to do with it!! JiB aside, there are plenty of old timers out there that are nothing short of a liability.

I think its most important to realise that being good has very little to do with years served and everything to do with Attitude, dedication, enthusiasm and a conciencious outlook, and these qualities can be found in anyone regardless of years served.

As i said just my opinion .

just scrolled back.can't see any reference to JIB in original post.

Why do you keep changing the question you are asking?

This is the third thing you've posted today relating to having 4 years experience, why is this something that's so important to you?

Someone could easily either go from job to job, or play the system in the same job, and be crap. It happens all the time. Let alone the self employed guys, they aren't exactly going to sack themselves.

I've seen saturday lads with more knowlege, nouse and enthusiasm that I have seen in the guys who've been running the well-known local firms for years and years.

I've been in this game for more than your magic 4 years and I'm far from the most qualified or experienced sparks.

And finally, there have been a few people on here lately swinging their big ones about because they've got a JIB card. I can fill in a few forms and do an 'elf an safety course, thanks very much. I'm not sure how that makes you top dog.

They're a bit like CSCS but more useless!

LOL only joking they are an important organisation, just don't understand why people who choose to use them think its some exclusive club.

cant understand for the life of me why some people think that unless youve worked commercial then your not a spark. Im jib approved and have had very little experience working in this field, does that mean im not a spark? wires are wires wherever you go and to be honest its not the most difficult job in the world, christ it used to be a plumbers job back in the day.

Not at all my friend,

Im sorry i diddnt realise that you only wanted to poll the opinions of the JIB elite, im sorry mate.

However before i bow out of this thread i do have to agree that years of service have nothing to do with it!! JiB aside, there are plenty of old timers out there that are nothing short of a liability.

I think its most important to realise that being good has very little to do with years served and everything to do with Attitude, dedication, enthusiasm and a conciencious outlook, and these qualities can be found in anyone regardless of years served.

As i said just my opinion .

Couldnt agree with you more mate. experience is a very useful asset in our field, but if you have experience but a crap attitude, than you will still be a liability. I know/meet a lot of sparks who are JIB, because of the nauture of contracting, but they are no better than the sparks i know who aren't JIB. Im only JIB because i need it to get work. Other than that they have no use for me at all.

How can someone employed on the tools for 20 years be crap. Who would have employed someone for that amount of time if they were crap.
You will find the people who advocate the slipping in the back door with 2 years experience are generally the ones who have done just that.
No offence, but this poll was for JIB approved electricians only

Just filled in my jib application forms today so I can't answere your questions.

Wasn't it only this week you asked about borrowing or buying a BRB for your 17th exam on 09/02 then selling it the next day on here? Why would you not have? Why would you get rid the most important book for your occupation? Ps good luck in your exam.

The sooner the JIB, and scheme providers are abolished the better. to be replaced by a "national elecrtical contactors register" the better!!!, 2330/2360/Part A+B + 2382n all being the minimum entry requirements with only holders of 2391 being allowed legally to do T+I and PIR's

Forget competent persons schemes etc, you would just notify through the planning portal signing on with your NECR reg number.

The JIB is a defunct archaic organisation thats had its day

I agree with the sentiment hightower, but I'm afraid change, in this country, means only 'more money for the government'. I oppose an Australian style 'licence' for this reason - I don't think its a bad idea in principle, but in this country, in this day and age, it WILL NOT make anything better but it WILL mean more expense for us. I guarantee that. Anyone who is in a position of sufficient power to make changes like this are there for themselves only, and if we all club together as the working man, well we still have to go through the bigwigs. At least at the moment there is some kind of basis to have a standard of work in the domestic sector, even if it's not working yet.

I agree with the sentiment hightower, but I'm afraid change, in this country, means only 'more money for the government'. I oppose an Australian style 'licence' for this reason - I don't think its a bad idea in principle, but in this country, in this day and age, it WILL NOT make anything better but it WILL mean more expense for us. I guarantee that. Anyone who is in a position of sufficient power to make changes like this are there for themselves only, and if we all club together as the working man, well we still have to go through the bigwigs. At least at the moment there is some kind of basis to have a standard of work in the domestic sector, even if it's not working yet.

Oh i couldnt agree more, my idea im afraid was purely theoretical and a work of complete fiction, like you say, just wouldnt make the govenment enough money.

Reply to A matter of opinion in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back