Discuss ACbling for linked fire alarms in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pat H

-
Reaction score
Domestic property (mine) having loft conversion.
So need linked fire alarms. One on each landing so 3 in all.
I'm going for the AICO Ei2110 multi sensor alarms.
Was looking at the radio link bases and then link them all up to a dedicated circuit to the CU
(not going to use lighting circuits)
So original plan was to just run 1.0m T&E to those alarms in dedicated cables.
dedicated RCBO to feed them? (the internal batteries last for 6 months so loss of supply isn't really an issue)

Then it occurred to me maybe that cable should be a different colour? and then why not get a 4 core cable and run the control signal down the extra core.

Thoughts?

If they are are going on the same circuit I'd just use 3-core and earth and not bother with the radiolink. Radiolink is great for retrofitting, as the alarms can be on different circuits. Bit pointless (and more costly) if you are linking all the alarms anyway!

Why a separate circuit? I would put them on a lighting circuit and try to hard wire them also.

Hi Pat, sounds like LD3 grade D system and that does not require FP cable or cable with a different colour. Inspector Gadget may look for the sticker in CU identifying that which cct has smokes are on it. Just a suggestion - if your Building Control have not written down what is required, try to get their agreement to your proposal in writing as they have the right (apparently) to ask for more than BS5839. Also, if you've a a solid fuel stove / log burner I understand it's now compulsory to have a CO detector in that room.

I can understand why you may need radio bases if you are starting from scratch.
If it is not to difficult , I would go with Kingeri.

I've got to run lighting and RFC to the loft space from the CU anyway so its no issue to run a dedicated feed.
Yes LD3 grade D is listed in the drawing specs. But I'm contact with Building control so can run it by them first.
As it will be a separate circuit I may as well go with a different colour anyway.

So does it make sense to run 4 core and use one for the control?

PS be good if I could correct the typo in the Thread topic...

Thanks yes got that handbook. very helpful.

Three core and earth is pretty standard to be honest.
For more info go to the Aico site and get yourself the free installer books on smokes and co detectors .
They are very good and toolbox size.

Yes, 3 core+CPC (6243Y) is usual.
Also, Aico have a contractor's handbook avail from their website.

Shame you can only get that in grey. I've found similar in red but silly prices.
No requirement to be a different colour for my install so I may just slide heat sleeves on at all the ends over the outer to make it clear they are different.

Why do you want it a different colour? It really isn't necessary! And I would seriously consider putting them on a lighting circuit! I know you can put them on a dedicated circuit, but putting them on a lighting circuit is actually far more preferable, even when starting from scratch (in my humble opinion).

Shame you can only get that in grey. I've found similar in red but silly prices.
No requirement to be a different colour for my install so I may just slide heat sleeves on at all the ends over the outer to make it clear they are different.
Why? As far as I remember, the vanilla flavoured Aico alarms have live, neutral & interconnect. As others have said, when I had an extension done a few years ago now, smoke alarms appeared on the drawings all over the house, not just the extension. That said, if I was doing it again I would put more in....as long as you have one of those control switches!

No need for Co2 detectors.
Will look at control panel but the multi sensor alarms are supposed to trip less.

Around £30 so not bad. Can't see the need for the locate button. I know where I'll have installed them. I don't expect them to wander :)

Why do you want it a different colour? It really isn't necessary! And I would seriously consider putting them on a lighting circuit! I know you can put them on a dedicated circuit, but putting them on a lighting circuit is actually far more preferable, even when starting from scratch (in my humble opinion).

Well my organised mind likes the idea of a separate feed just for the alarms. Marked up in the CU.
I already have 2 lighting circuits and will have 3 when the loft cabling goes in so each alarm would be on a different lighting circuit so a different RCBO in the CU.
That does mean if any one circuit fails the other 2 will still be on. But with the modern alarms having 6 month battery backup power failure really isn't a consideration.

If I use the lighting circuits I can't use a control wire easily so would have to go with the radio links.

Reply to ACbling for linked fire alarms in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock