Discuss Acer Aspire 5100 Power Cable in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stanyer

Hi
I have an acer aspire 5100 laptop, the cable for me is broke, on the end that plugs into the laptop there is a small cyclinder thing where the wire goes into one end and comes out the other onto about 3cm of wire and then onto the adapter that goes into the laptop.
The wire has been dodgy for ages but now its packed in completely, the fault is around part of the wire on one end of the cylinder.
Would it be possible to cut the cylinder out and rewire the 2 ends directly to each other and make it work or does the cylinder have some sort of converter or something in it? Thanks.

The "cylinder" is nothing more than a ferrite core that is designed to reduce interference on the DC power line, the laptop will quite happily function without it.

For what it's worth, Maplin do (fairly cheap) switched mode universal laptop power supplies (switchable voltage, stabalised current) that fit most laptops without a problem.

Reply to Acer Aspire 5100 Power Cable in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I am sending power to some 5v led lights about 50ft from the transformer. I was going to use some CAT6 direct Burial cable that I kept after a...
Replies
Views
Hello. Just a lowly homeowner here who is beginning to panic after a major house renovation regarding relocation of the main supply cable to the...
Replies
Views
Morning All I recently completed my first re wire and board change, (with help from the owner who is a gas fitter and plumper, who works with my...
Replies
Views
For emergency use, when there's a power outage, the current situation (no pun intended) is that I'm running a hook up cable from the 16A socket on...
Replies
Views
Hi all, hoping everyone has enjoyed their bank holiday weekend. I hope this post goes in the right place as I've just joined. I'm looking to swap...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock