Discuss Advice needed On 18th edition boards. When do fit SPD boards? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Not done the 18th, and currently not working as a spark.

However, I've read some posts on here about this subject, and I believe the regs suggest a risk assessment for SP in domestic dwellings; one bit of which is property value, around a few thousand pounds?

Telly's, fridge freezer, washing machine, etc etc, soon adds up. Not that I'm aware of being subjected to any 'surges'.

Hi - for single domestic dwellings - I mention them to Customer and explain the benefits and the cost. I follow their direction and record on EIC. Some are happy to invest :) .

Still sparks giving false or bad advice on these.

SPDs can only be omitted in single dwellings ‘where the total value of the installation and equipment therein does not justify such protection’.

443.4 refers and uses the term ‘shall be installed’. Basically if the installation has electrical equipment over the value of about £200 BS 7671 states SPDs shall be installed.

Still sparks giving false or bad advice on these.

SPDs can only be omitted in single dwellings ‘where the total value of the installation and equipment therein does not justify such protection’.

443.4 refers and uses the term ‘shall be installed’. Basically if the installation has electrical equipment over the value of about £200 BS 7671 states SPDs shall be installed.

Errr... agreed... alot of bad advice...

443.4 actually says that there are 4 specific situations when you must fit an SPD (I won't type them out here, but this does not include my house).... OR you do a risk assessment... IF no risk assessment, you fit one anyway (i.e. you assume the highest risk)

So for my house, it's not one of the specific situations, so I've done a risk assessment and the 'Calculated Risk Level' is >1000... therefore No SPD is required.

Errr... agreed... alot of bad advice...

443.4 actually says that there are 4 specific situations when you must fit an SPD (I won't type them out here, but this does not include my house).... OR you do a risk assessment... IF no risk assessment, you fit one anyway (i.e. you assume the highest risk)

So for my house, it's not one of the specific situations, so I've done a risk assessment and the 'Calculated Risk Level' is >1000... therefore No SPD is required.

The risk assessment is not required for single dwellings so there really was no need to do one. This is clearly stated in 443.4 and then goes on to state what I have said above.

As I said. In a single dwelling there is no requirement to carry out a risk assessment and SPDs shall be installed of the value of electrical equipment is over about £200.

Can you show me your calculations please that say SPDs are not required on your dwelling?

The risk assessment is not required for single dwellings so there really was no need to do one. This is clearly stated in 443.4 and then goes on to state what I have said above.

As I said. In a single dwelling there is no requirement to carry out a risk assessment and SPDs shall be installed of the value of electrical equipment is over about £200.

Can you show me your calculations please that say SPDs are not required on your dwelling?

I think the issue is with the way that Paragraph 2 of 443.4 is read... you're correct in saying that there is no requirement to carry out a risk assessment... but, if you don't do one, then you should install SPD, unless it's a single dwelling and the value of any potential loss is small (your £200 figure)... if that makes sense.

As to the calculation... Example 4 on Page 106 of the 18th is exactly my situation... so it's all detailed there... This shows my CRL is 1,700 which is higher than 1,000 so no SPD is required.

As you can see from above the answer is clear.
Maybe you should or shouldnt consider an SPD but probably not or perhaps sometimes, unless otherwise indicated.
As usual the regs are clear and transparent.
I can't see where the confusion lies?

Advice needed On 18th edition boards.  When do fit SPD boards? 6339BEB2-3DE0-4DCB-8996-EB39CDB32920 - EletriciansForums.net This is Beama’s guidance on the matter taken from BSEN 60363-4-44
Certainly on the recent webinar I watched by the NICEIC and by my recent assessment, there does not seem a requirement to mandatory install one in a domestic dwelling in their eyes at least, but it should be advised to the customer the benefits of such protection.
Of course indent 1 loss of life could come under a domestic dwelling if there’s life affecting medical equipment located inside

Last edited:
Advice needed On 18th edition boards.  When do fit SPD boards? 6BF57283-5376-4C73-96CB-6DD683BC18DA - EletriciansForums.net
No CRL risk assessment required for domestic dwellings as also stated by bs7671

The cost of SPDs will get lower and get to such a point that their addition to an installation will become the norm.

Give your customers the details and let them make an informed decision.

The cost of SPDs will get lower and get to such a point that their addition to an installation will become the norm.

Give your customers the details and let them make an informed decision.

They are already pretty cheap. SBS has them listed at £20 on his
current price list.

I generally install them in dwellings, I do give the customers the choice though, but honestly though if you tell them there have been rumours of insurance companys are using surges to get out of paying for damaged electrical equipment they usually just tell you to put them in.

If they dont want it, just get them to sign a letter, just take a copy and attach it to your EIC.

To paraphrase (without getting BS7671 out for exact wording), the requirement is essentially that where the value of equipment warrants it an SPD should be fitted. (This would require discussion with the Client.) It does not necessarily mean that where the value of the equipment exceeds the cost of installing an SPD that it must be done. I don't believe that is what is intended by the wording.

To paraphrase (without getting BS7671 out for exact wording), the requirement is essentially that where the value of equipment warrants it an SPD should be fitted. (This would require discussion with the Client.) It does not necessarily mean that where the value of the equipment exceeds the cost of installing an SPD that it must be done. I don't believe that is what is intended by the wording.

Reply to Advice needed On 18th edition boards. When do fit SPD boards? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock