Discuss Advice on Telephone and Ethernet points please! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

Personally not had much experience in telephone and ethernet points so was hoping for some advice please.
Running a supply for a garage which is being converted into an office. The fella would like a BT and Internet point in there as it is too far from his house for wireless (approx 20 meters)
Running the supply in SWA on a wall and noticed there was an SWA telephone cable available on the market. Now in order to get both telephone and internet would I have to run 2 cables (if so I wanted to avoid) The alternative being running the telephone and CAT5E in a conduit.
Couple of questions.. Is there a better way of doing this? and will the distance of the run give a poor signal?

I'm not so much worried about the BT point as these are straight forward, done a few in the past but I am by no means an expert, it is more the internet that I'm worrying about.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

With ethernet you don't want runs in excess of 100m so you should be OK and maybe you should consider just using 2 x CAT 5 cables.

Why are you considering SWA phone cable? are you burying it?

Another way of achieving the internet would be to consider using powerline adaptors - one in the house and another in the office!

I am not burying it, but the run is behind bushes/flower beds, so just in case it gets whacked with a spade!
Powerline adapter seems reasonable. Do they work well? You know what these office type people are like lol

If it was me I would recommend dedicated lines for power, internet and phone - buts thats just me.

Do it once, do it properly!

EDIT: I use the Devolo Powerline range in my house - they are not the cheapest but they are easy to set up and I've never had any problems. We stream Iplayer on our BT fiber line and have never had any issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not burying it, but the run is behind bushes/flower beds, so just in case it gets whacked with a spade!
Powerline adapter seems reasonable. Do they work well? You know what these office type people are like lol

I use them for my lads gaming PC. I have had no problems with them so far. And none of his games stutter or fail whilst playing. You can get different speeds but are more expensive. Jay

I'd go with what Murdoch suggests in post 4, first line. Can you not get 25m of flexi conduit on put the phone and Ethernet in that, or is the armoured type cheaper?

IMO Powerline adaptors are useful in an existing property (have them in mine), where you do not want to cause disruption in lifting floors etc. Mobile phone chargers etc, and appliances that draw large currents like washing machines, can cause connection drop outs, if they are plugged in nearby. The adaptors can, allegedly, cause interference with short wave radio and some are suggesting issues with FM&DAB. So if you customer has a radio ham next door, they may not won't to use them! If it's a new install, your customer may wish to consider installing some CAT 5 or 6 cabling, and there ends my expertise on the subject. 'avforums' is a good website for such advice, unless someone comes along here to post here.

I think Powerline adaptors are great. I did some work for a guy who has an office in his garden - About 20 Mtr run and he uses these with no problems.

I've heard this too Mid.
I'm still using cat 5/cat 5e.
I use this for Phone line extensions too, it's a bit tougher than some of the cheap 1308 that's about, plus if any of the cores get damaged you have some spare ones to choose from.

Pointless using cat6 as to achieve the rated speeds it would have to comply in the installation method of cat6 and you will never need that speed in a domestic property unless his having a 10Gbps fibre optic line connected to his house. Just run a armoured cat5e. One will do, cat5e only uses 2 pairs so the others can be used for phone point.

Apparently CAT 6 is the new CAT 5!
some cat6 is rated no faster than 5e.

some is rated for 10gbps
Pointless using cat6 as to achieve the rated speeds it would have to comply in the installation method of cat6 and you will never need that speed in a domestic property unless his having a 10Gbps fibre optic line connected to his house. Just run a armoured cat5e. One will do, cat5e only uses 2 pairs so the others can be used for phone point.
have a look at POE and this will boost the distance if you need longer than 100m.

basically put a jb in the garden and fill it with magic putty (the booster is powered by the power from the cable)

Reply to Advice on Telephone and Ethernet points please! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net