Discuss Alterations to lighting on Busbar trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

If you have a luminaire connected to busbar trunking via a fused "plug" is this then considered as a fixed appliance? And if so, if you were to change that luminaire would that constitute an change to the circuit, i.e. Would you need to issue a MWC? I am also assuming that if the plug is not fused then it would be considered as part of the circuit and therefore changes would require a MWC.

The reason I ask is that we are converting to LED lights in a store and in the others it has been lighting trunking and we have therefore either issued a MWC or EIC as appropriate. But the latest one has busbar trunking and the contractor is arguing that if its fused its an appliance.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Hi,

If you have a luminaire connected to busbar trunking via a fused "plug" is this then considered as a fixed appliance? And if so, if you were to change that luminaire would that constitute an change to the circuit, i.e. Would you need to issue a MWC? I am also assuming that if the plug is not fused then it would be considered as part of the circuit and therefore changes would require a MWC.

The reason I ask is that we are converting to LED lights in a store and in the others it has been lighting trunking and we have therefore either issued a MWC or EIC as appropriate. But the latest one has busbar trunking and the contractor is arguing that if its fused its an appliance.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

I think that the contractor needs to justify his hearsay claims with something.

I would consider a plugged in anything to be not part of the fixed wiring, fused or not. When you get to lighting and plug in marshalling box and busbar systems it gets a bit complex though. What is fixed wiring what isn't ?

Would I include flex lengths in volt drop and Zs calculations in such instances ? Yes.
Would i issue certification for the swap of a single light on such a system ? probably not.
Would I issue certification for a revamp of entire lighting system even though all plugged in ? Yes, probably. Even if it was proved I did not need to I would still want to, and still would.

I would have thought in my humble opinion that a plug in fused luminair would come the control of In Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment Service ISTIEE the old PA test

I would issue a MWC regardless of how many fittings I changed as proof of the works complying to relevant requirements.

I did a similar job a few years ago, every single light fitting had a MWC, not ideal paperwork wise but it's better to go over the top and prove you have tested your work, belt and braces etc etc.

I did a similar job a few years ago, every single light fitting had a MWC, not ideal paperwork wise but it's better to go over the top and prove you have tested your work, belt and braces etc etc.

Out of interest, why not one cert per circuit ?

I would say 1 minor works per circuit , test all lights for earth continuity and then do all testing at the furthest point , you could make a lead up and use a PA tester to test all the lights but i would say thats a bit over top. if there are a lot of circuits then it would probley be easyier to just fill out and installation certificate ,

Hi

Cheers for the responses. In terms of PAT testing surely as the installed item is less than a year old it wouldn't need PAT testing?
My thoughts were that we should do a MWC for each circuit even though we are technically not working on the "circuit". I don't mind certifying our work, or for that matter making the contractor certify his work, but I cant force him to certify the buzbar circuit if he claims he hasn't done any work on it. I guess this is a bit of a grey area.

I don't think it is grey, minor works for each circuit which you have effectively altered. It is madness to consider PAT.

Reply to Alterations to lighting on Busbar trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock