Discuss Any ideas on a rough price for 3 bed rewire in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm going to look at a job next week, 3 bed semi bungalow. The property is going to be fully occupied whilst works are being carried out which is going to be a full rewire, new board etc. I have only just set out on my own and would appreciate any idea of a fair price (roughly) that would likely be quoted for this type of job. I fully understand I haven't given alot of details regarding the amount of circuits and types of fixtures etc.
Cheers

I'm interested to know how jobs are priced in general?
Logically I would have thought that it would be parts (with mark up?) and labour at some sort of hourly rate calculated for the job. I see from other posts that other aspects are factored in like testing etc. Is there a generally accepted formula?

I'm interested to know how jobs are priced in general?
Logically I would have thought that it would be parts (with mark up?) and labour at some sort of hourly rate calculated for the job. I see from other posts that other aspects are factored in like testing etc. Is there a generally accepted formula?

Hey,

Im working on the basis of how long the job will take, materials costs and how much I am willing to work for each day minus costs,taxes etc. The thing that has thrown me is that a couple of jobs I looked at lately and didn't win were nowhere near each other on price. The potential client called me and tried to knock my price down but I couldn't as I would have been working for way less than what I feel is reasonable. This job was 2 bed terrace house rewire, one guy quoted 2600 and the guy they chose quoted 1400, what am I missing here?

It varies, some people price per point, some people price per circuit, some per room or bedroom, some people just pluck a figure out the sky, some people estimate days of labour and charge a day rate.

Just gotta pick one that suits you. If it helps I put together a spreadsheet (attached) to help price things up. Set your prices in the columns and save it for yourself (as your prices may be different). Then to use, just whizz down the quantity column of each item and your price is shown on the right. It's not perfect, but should help you get a quick estimate for larger works.

I've just done (for myself as an example) a simple 2 up 2 down with basic accessories and it comes to about £2500-£2600, so I think that's in the right ball park.

(EDIT: I've removed the file as in hindsight maybe this should be in the Arms. If you want the file - or anyone else - send me a PM with your email)

It varies, some people price per point, some people price per circuit, some per room or bedroom, some people just pluck a figure out the sky, some people estimate days of labour and charge a day rate.

Just gotta pick one that suits you. If it helps I put together a spreadsheet (attached) to help price things up. Set your prices in the columns and save it for yourself (as your prices may be different). Then to use, just whizz down the quantity column of each item and your price is shown on the right. It's not perfect, but should help you get a quick estimate for larger works.

I've just done (for myself as an example) a simple 2 up 2 down with basic accessories and it comes to about £2500-£2600, so I think that's in the right ball park.

(EDIT: I've removed the file as in hindsight maybe this should be in the Arms. If you want the file - or anyone else - send me a PM with your email)

Hey,

That sounds like a good method, I appreciate it. Cheers

I have noticed also, working with my boss/mentor, that when we quote for jobs we cover everything, including ideas for cat6 and tv points even to a point of emergency LEDs if the job suits. This obviously leads to a higher price but are standard items that anyone going in with a basic low price to get the job will then be adding on to the final price with the customer can be caught in that trap of "if I don't say yes now to Internet then I won't get it" etc. This obviously needs a paragraph explaining the inclusions but I guess some people will always just see a price and act on that.

The property is going to be fully occupied whilst works are being carried out which is going to be a full rewire, new board etc.
That's the bit that rings alarm bells for me. I guess you'll be enjoying moving furniture around, and the client is going to want electricity on every day when he/she gets home.
I will always heavily load ££wise a job if the client expects this.

Actually, I wouldn't even do the job, there's a lot more work around without having that hassle, unless you are desperate, of course.........

That's the bit that rings alarm bells for me. I guess you'll be enjoying moving furniture around, and the client is going to want electricity on every day when he/she gets home.
I will always heavily load ££wise a job if the client expects this.

Actually, I wouldn't even do the job, there's a lot more work around without having that hassle, unless you are desperate, of course.........

Hey,

I hear that, it's not going to be a great job if I get it but I could do with the work at the moment. I will put abit extra on my price so it doesn't hurt so much.

Hey,

Im working on the basis of how long the job will take, materials costs and how much I am willing to work for each day minus costs,taxes etc. The thing that has thrown me is that a couple of jobs I looked at lately and didn't win were nowhere near each other on price. The potential client called me and tried to knock my price down but I couldn't as I would have been working for way less than what I feel is reasonable. This job was 2 bed terrace house rewire, one guy quoted 2600 and the guy they chose quoted 1400, what am I missing here?
Your not missing anything mate, way I see it is that your going to take
Hey,

Your not missing anything mate just the way it gos, a lot of things come in to play obviously how fast you work, but also unless the client specifies exactly what accessories and lights etc. What's to say the £1400 price isn't the cheepest gear going. If the clients want a professional job with good quality materials then they will pay the professional price.

Good luck if you're doing it with the homeowner in situ :( I'd double any estimate, else just give a daily labour rate. An occupied rewire I lost recently took the spark that got the job 7 weeks to do it. Customer was a complete k-nobe! Get a hefty deposit.

Good luck

Thanks for the feedback guy's, I spoke with the client yesterday and told them that I was too busy at the moment to take on the job and wouldn't want to let them down. The extra work would have been nice but Im now thinking it was a lucky escape.

Thanks for the feedback guy's, I spoke with the client yesterday and told them that I was too busy at the moment to take on the job and wouldn't want to let them down. The extra work would have been nice but Im now thinking it was a lucky escape.

This is what I like to read. Being honest with customers. Never understood it when people say they put in massive quotes cause they don't want to do the job. Then they just come across like they are trying to rip the customer off.

I suppose the notion of ripping the customer off if it is a high price is an obvious conclusion but not always the correct one. If I ever feel the price is high I try and tell the customer why. Maybe aspects they haven't thought of like habited rewires, customers that might be difficult to give up their money. Else tell the tru h about why you don't want the job, it gets ntersedtong feedback!

Reply to Any ideas on a rough price for 3 bed rewire in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net