Discuss Any regs (Part A) concerning depth of boxes? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Smugley

Hi all, quick question about building regs. I need to install a shaver socket (selv) and as these need a 47mm box, it got me wondering about the thickness of the masonry wall which I haven't measured yet but I guess is about 100 to 120mm. I know the regs regarding max depth of vertical and horizontal chases, but is there a rule about how deep you can go to chop out a back box? 47mm into a 100mm wall is getting close to 50% depth. Would this be a cause for concern? The IEE guide to building regs doesn't mention anything but I haven't looked up Approved Document A in full yet.. Cheers.

I dont think there is anything. Considering its size compared to the wall itself I doubt it would be a problem an extractor fan would go right through the wall and is bigger??? Thats my logic anyway.

Chris

Cheers, yes that's a good point about the extractor. Just got me thinking about how big a hole can be before it becomes an issue for wall stability.

Acro prop each side of the wall and install a 9" RSJ, before chasing.

Just kidding mate its not a problem, the chase out is not going to be big enough for concern, just take it easy as you aproach your final depth.

I think the logic is when you chase, if you are very deep you are considerably weakening the wall from either top or bottom to your box, obviously more than 50% will weaken it

Reply to Any regs (Part A) concerning depth of boxes? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Waiting for a bashing here, but it's something I haven't had to do until now so looking for advice on the best way to approach this...
Replies
Views
Was wondering if the gurus can critique and/or provide recommendations on my plan to install two sub-panels in a (50'x100') 5,000 sq ft steel...
Replies
Views
Hello i've recently just had a re wire done on a three bed semi house, Ive noticed a few things im not 100 percent on ive spoken to the firm that...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just being cheeky and asking for some advice really.. In my new house, we have solid walls throughout - great, but not so great for my...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, This is my first post, I hope you're all well and surviving the lockdown. Long story short, I had an electrician who was going to do...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock