Discuss Bathroom zoning question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That sounds reason enough to put it outside to me, you know, for a laugh.
Did you mean Czech girls or cheeky girls ? If you meant cheeky girls do you mean the cheeky girls ? and were the cheeky girls Czech ?
Czech girls what websites have you been visiting apart from this one then Andy?

Your in the shower in the evening and the light goes off (blown bulb maybe) the first thing somebody would do is get out and try the switch. Probably dripping wet. So it can happen so if a wall switch is a must then I'd have it RCD protected. which means at worst you get a little zap.

What about something like this:
Bathroom Sensor Switch | Tile Switch | Touch Switch PIR Movement Switch - http://www.sensor.co.uk/switches/bathroom_switch/
It is bl^^^dy RCD protected, he said it was in the OP. I wish folks would read things......

It is bl^^^dy RCD protected, he said it was in the OP. I wish folks would read things......
I didn't say it wasn't. I do think its safer to re-iterate RCD protection when talking about plate switches in bathrooms. You can't be sure the whole thread will be read in the future when another poster is searching for answers.

Never assume an rcd is God's gift for you not dropping dead from an electric shock.
Ah but touch it again and you may just be brought back.

I think a switch would have to be absolutely drenched in water, dripping down it, in order to get a shock. That is obviously why the 0.6M distance is stipulated, so the shower head, for example, won't be directed at it. I don't think a person, however wet, would be in danger from operating the switch, personally.
I mean wet from the shower, not wet generally.

I think a switch would have to be absolutely drenched in water, dripping down it, in order to get a shock. That is obviously why the 0.6M distance is stipulated, so the shower head, for example, won't be directed at it. I don't think a person, however wet, would be in danger from operating the switch, personally.
I mean wet from the shower, not wet generally.
I agree but is the accessory going to be effected but water splashes, yes you can't guarantee it won't. My opinion is to put it outside the room or fit a pull switch.

Get it fitted man! I don't think there is an ongoing plethora of deaths across Europe from bathroom switches in bathrooms. Use a wide rocker switch if you feel the need.

I do have a personal aspect to this in that a fellow spark disconnected a plate switch I installed in a bathroom and fitted a pull, whilst telling the owner it was not allowed. The switch I installed was a good distance away from the bath and in my opinion perfectly safe.

The regulations stipulate a minimum standard for safety and you can measure and quote zones all day but I will never fit a normal wall switch in a bathroom or shower room, it's just not right!
To be fair, for me it depends on the situation. I have fitted bathrooms where the rooms are as big if not bigger than most folks living rooms. By time they got to the switch they'd be drip dry :)
Personally I would take the regs as a worst case guide, in that if I felt that a switch could possibly lead to a potential dangerous situation, even though it met with the regs I would still not install it. As an example I was asked to install one which was within the regs requirements, but in my eyes it was just too close to call so I refused to do it. Outside is (in my view) always the preferred option, but not always necessary or practical.

I
To be fair, for me it depends on the situation. I have fitted bathrooms where the rooms are as big if not bigger than most folks living rooms. By time they got to the switch they'd be drip dry :)
Personally I would take the regs as a worst case guide, in that if I felt that a switch could possibly lead to a potential dangerous situation, even though it met with the regs I would still not install it. As an example I was asked to install one which was within the regs requirements, but in my eyes it was just too close to call so I refused to do it. Outside is (in my view) always the preferred option, but not always necessary or practical.
Think the difference between inside an outside is not really an argument as if your dripping wet inside you wont suddenly dry when you cross the door frame into the otherside which i might add is probably 3 inches. (No jokes) my thing is i hate the pull cord and was just querying the specifics of the regs in relation to the switch and suitable distance.

I did consider an occupancy sensor. But the amount of time im up in the night it would be annoying

I've seen hundreds of bathrooms & ensuites with a wall plate switch. They've all been placed outside the room, I wonder why? Unless you have a bathroom the size of Donald Trump's, I'd follow tradition and make those 'cheeky girls' behave themselves.

You could say exactly the same about any accessory above counter in a kitchen or in a downstairs WC with a basin.

But isn't the point that its only a bathroom you are likely to be wet from head to foot with bare feet greatly increasing your conductivity. WCs and kitchens you may have wet hands but likely to have footware on.

Reply to Bathroom zoning question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net