Discuss British industry is sitting on a ticking time bomb, says ECA Skills Ambassador in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O T you are so right, a young lad recently was amazed that I managed to find and fix a fault with only a few basic tools rather than a full kit,it's not about what you have it's how you use it,a lot of which comes down to what and how you were taught.

Wonder can Brussels help us..

They can with Part P as I have said before in England LABC insist on Scheme membership but has anybody wrote to them to ask if they are abiding by the European Free Trade Act because if a trader can prove he or she is competent then they must accept certification like up here some councils have to be reminded of this as a sole trader can submit certification by Enquiry ie certs with a copy of calibration certs and front and back copy of you SJIB card and it has been found that some Scheme members have submitted certs with a scheme number on it only to find on checking there is no calibration certs and the persons qualifications is not up to date in other words no audit trail

I guess where I work is the complete opposite to the rest of the world (no surprise there though tbh).
I am actually over whelmed with apprentices as my company likes to take them on.
However the problem is I cant train 4 apprentices at once, nor can I look out for and take care of them.
It really frustrates me as I was apprentice trained and I had the wonderful opportunity to learn from several engineers who all had different backgrounds and skill sets.
Now I am the mentor and instead of being able to pass my knowledge on 1-1 its 1-4 or at best 2-4 and it just does not work.

Like DW my concern is for industrial electricians. Particularly ones with fault finding skills. It’s not something that is going to be picked up on any short course.

If manufacturing does pick up where the hell do we get the skilled tradesmen? I’m not coming out of retirement for anyone! I don’t want to see us importing tradesmen, I’ve had bitter experience of working with them.

Like DW my concern is for industrial electricians. Particularly ones with fault finding skills. It’s not something that is going to be picked up on any short course.

If manufacturing does pick up where the hell do we get the skilled tradesmen? I’m not coming out of retirement for anyone! I don’t want to see us importing tradesmen, I’ve had bitter experience of working with them.

Tony I did fault finding for 20 years but to be honest with the shift work and all the hassle I got for doing it I bailed out and started my business where I use about 10% of my experience but at least I can sleep at night with no hassle on the same money.

Years ago it was an advantage to have these skills now you get treated sometimes with contempt

The funny thing is I enjoyed shift work. I was put on days for three years, I was like a bear with a sore arse! A year on permanent nights I was as happy as Larry.

Unfortunately shift work is part and parcel of an industrial electrician’s life.

True but I worked in an environment where the manager had his favorites and anybody else got treated with contempt so when I came back after 2 weeks off there was a pile off jobs to look at and when I fixed them all in 2 days I got got a hard time because the favored sons looked bad. So I bailed out and 18 months later the govener broke on a 500k generator totally wrecking it and funny enough I got a kicking at the time for voicing was it a good idea to hack back the maintenance on them and hand the contract to oily rag company.

Not saying this happens everywhere but it does reflect the poor level of management in this country funny thing is I used to enjoy fixing things and finding faults before they got out of hand ie a stitch in time saves nine but hey hoe

There’s two sides to every story. Somehow I found myself as production manger (I don’t know how it happened, I went in to work to have the warm smelly stuff dropped in my lap).

I went from bad tempered grumpy maintenance git to bad tempered grumpy production git with target figures to meet.

Maintenance gangs are an expense on a business that they would love to get rid of. The plant breaks down and suddenly they become gods. I’m sorry to say that I was an absolute barsteward with the maintenance gang. I knew all the tricks and they hated me for it. In the end I walked out to go back in to plant maintenance.

There’s two sides to every story. Somehow I found myself as production manger (I don’t know how it happened, I went in to work to have the warm smelly stuff dropped in my lap).

I went from bad tempered grumpy maintenance git to bad tempered grumpy production git with target figures to meet.

Maintenance gangs are an expense on a business that they would love to get rid of. The plant breaks down and suddenly they become gods. I’m sorry to say that I was an absolute barsteward with the maintenance gang. I knew all the tricks and they hated me for it. In the end I walked out to go back in to plant maintenance.
like the time you told me of how you were able to extract some extra hours out of the night shift....lol....

Reply to British industry is sitting on a ticking time bomb, says ECA Skills Ambassador in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net