Discuss Burying 2.5mm ring circuit cable under concrete floor in flexi conduit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Vortigern

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What is your view about such an installation technique? Asked to finish extension wiring and the installer has snaked wire all over the floor in white flexi. They intend to put an island in and this could easily lead to damaged cables. The other wiring for lights etc. is abysmal like a massive spaghetti nightmare. I have declined the job but just wondered what your thoughts were on burying cables in concrete floor, would you do it?

Not a preferred option but allowable and I've had to do it myself in the past (minus the spaghetti!)

I wouldn't take on a job like that unless I was desperate for the work (so if they haven't opened the theatres by January I might consider such a job)

Flexi conduit, assuming it is the usual bog-roll thin stuff, isn't strong enough in my opinion, it could easily be crushed when the concrete or screed is laid on it, or even by the other trades stamping all over it beforehand.
Rigid PVC conduit routed so that it is out of walkways as far as possible would be my minimum, I normally use steel conduit on the rare occasions that I do such work.

When looking at the job I thought what a waste of cable, he could have gone to each socket horizontally and save two thirds of the cable used. Plus avoid the problem of if there is a fault, you do not have to dig up the kitchen floor! Personally I would avoid burying cables in the floor where ever possible. Maybe in some conduit so the cable could be pulled out in fault conditions.

I've used PVC rigid in the past as a bare minimum. Most flexi stuff is paper thin and you'd be better off using McDonalds straws...

Also a whole lot easier to thread cables down!!

The problem with McDonalds straws it they usually come with the dreaded milk shake, after sucking through one of those my eyes hurt. :yum:

When looking at the job I thought what a waste of cable, he could have gone to each socket horizontally and save two thirds of the cable used. Plus avoid the problem of if there is a fault, you do not have to dig up the kitchen floor! Personally I would avoid burying cables in the floor where ever possible. Maybe in some conduit so the cable could be pulled out in fault conditions.

Conversely I would rather go through the floor than have cables buried in the wall horizontally.
I was taught that cables should always run vertically, most people know that cables run vertically but not horizontally or in the corners. Whilst the safe zones are ok in theory nobody but electricians know about them.

I wouldn't take on a job like that unless I was desperate for the work (so if they haven't opened the theatres by January I might consider such a job)

Flexi conduit, assuming it is the usual bog-roll thin stuff, isn't strong enough in my opinion, it could easily be crushed when the concrete or screed is laid on it, or even by the other trades stamping all over it beforehand.
Rigid PVC conduit routed so that it is out of walkways as far as possible would be my minimum, I normally use steel conduit on the rare occasions that I do such work.

You not got much on @davesparks? I have a house in Leatherhead thats being converted to 3 assisted living apartments with an extension. 1st fix needs starting in a few weeks, Basically will be 3 small flats with a staff area....Your more then welcome to take it on if your interested?

Rigid plastic is also the minimum for me, usually do galv though. Just done some to a shop island counter and some floor boxes, 25mm for power, 32mm for data.

I am quite happy to go horizontally but certainly would eschew underfloor cables in concrete. I would say it is far easier to replace cable in a wall than concrete floor. At 450mm height I think there is a far lower chance of fixing something into a cable than a vertical rising cable above an accessory. There is also the fact that we are supposed to install with a view to saving resources, such as cable and take the best route to achieve this, which would be horizontal.

Reply to Burying 2.5mm ring circuit cable under concrete floor in flexi conduit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock