Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Burying 2.5mm ring circuit cable under concrete floor in flexi conduit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Vortigern

Vortigern

Esteemed
Arms
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

What is your view about such an installation technique? Asked to finish extension wiring and the installer has snaked wire all over the floor in white flexi. They intend to put an island in and this could easily lead to damaged cables. The other wiring for lights etc. is abysmal like a massive spaghetti nightmare. I have declined the job but just wondered what your thoughts were on burying cables in concrete floor, would you do it?

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
Aico 3000
Rockingit

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Not a preferred option but allowable and I've had to do it myself in the past (minus the spaghetti!)

buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear

-
Esteemed
Arms
yes if there is no other way ,i have done it ,with a tins like the great escape ,me tom dick and harry .lol. put in conduit .

D

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
No problem putting cables in the screed concrete floor , I always put rigid pvc conduit in clipped in place before the screed goes down

Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

-
Esteemed
Arms
I used to always map the route of the cables/conduits in concrete on a drawing and put it in the CU taped to the door with the EICR, smoke alarm reports now as well, theres posh. :innocent:

buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear

-
Esteemed
Arms
I have declined the job but just wondered what your thoughts were on burying cables in concrete floor
why did you do that ,me 10 bit coins and a pallet of Heinz spagitti hoops to sort it out .

davesparks

davesparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
I wouldn't take on a job like that unless I was desperate for the work (so if they haven't opened the theatres by January I might consider such a job)

Flexi conduit, assuming it is the usual bog-roll thin stuff, isn't strong enough in my opinion, it could easily be crushed when the concrete or screed is laid on it, or even by the other trades stamping all over it beforehand.
Rigid PVC conduit routed so that it is out of walkways as far as possible would be my minimum, I normally use steel conduit on the rare occasions that I do such work.

Vortigern

Vortigern

Esteemed
Arms
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When looking at the job I thought what a waste of cable, he could have gone to each socket horizontally and save two thirds of the cable used. Plus avoid the problem of if there is a fault, you do not have to dig up the kitchen floor! Personally I would avoid burying cables in the floor where ever possible. Maybe in some conduit so the cable could be pulled out in fault conditions.

Reply to Burying 2.5mm ring circuit cable under concrete floor in flexi conduit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
Top Bottom