Discuss Cable behind Dot Dab wall -- in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

usererror

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, hope someone can help 😊. I am looking at running a transformer extension lead behind my dot dab plasterboard wall. My wife bought a Led name light for my sons wall and wants it mounted smack bang in the middle of the wall. It came with a transformer with a 2ft lead so bought a extension lead 2.1mm plug style. I am hoping to run the cable behind the wall with a 2 brush plates, one behind the light and the other near the floor, the transformer with be plugged into the transformer extension lead on the floor. The transformer output with be 12v 5a is this safe/ ok to run this behind the wall ?

This is what the lead is like - https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-2-...ocphy=1007214&hvtargid=pla-393537884623&psc=1

Yes… it’s fine. Not mains voltage.

Check it works outside the wall first, and be aware there might not be a perfectly straight drop down behind the plasterboard.

Just a slight note of caution.

The link to the extension cable you have doesn't explicitly specify the maximum current it's suitable for. Many are designed for CCTV cameras and the like that don't consume much current.
The only one I've seen on Amazon that mentions its current rating is 3A max.
I can't see a current rating for the Kenable leads. I understand the connectors are rated at 5A max.
A 'Dixietree' cable on Amazon has the wire size 22AWG stamped on the side. While 22awg is rated for I believe 8A max, my rough calculations suggest that 5m of that cable (10m of conductor) would have a resistance of 0.5ohm. Introducing half an ohm into the circuit, if the lamp is actually taking 5A, drops 2.5 volts (so you only get 9.5V at the light), and will dissipate 12 watts in the cable in the wall.

Of course if the light doesn't actually consume 5A, all this is irrelevant! And 5A is a lot for LED's!
As littlespark says, it would be best to try the lamp first, I suggest with and without the extension lead, to check there's no great difference in brightness/ behaviour. If there is, maybe best to use a shorter lead or find one rated at 5A.

Last edited:
Ok cheers guy, The cable i have is a 3m 22awg description "Main use: Use with a variety of different voltage and current power adapter, widely used in surveillance cameras, LED light strip and other low-voltage DC electrical equipment's Features: 60W/60VA Maximum rated" I have tested with the new cable and brightness seems the same so think it should be good to go. The uk plug on the transformer is one of those dodgy Chinese moulded plugs with no fuse that's getting chopped of before i even start.

Ok cheers guy, The cable i have is a 3m 22awg description "Main use: Use with a variety of different voltage and current power adapter, widely used in surveillance cameras, LED light strip and other low-voltage DC electrical equipment's Features: 60W/60VA Maximum rated" I have tested with the new cable and brightness seems the same so think it should be good to go. The uk plug on the transformer is one of those dodgy Chinese moulded plugs with no fuse that's getting chopped of before i even start.
At 3m you should be fine.
Good luck with the fishing!

Reply to Cable behind Dot Dab wall -- in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net