Discuss Caravan Electrics (20 chars - have we still not fixed this?!) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hightower

I'm wanting to add a couple of sockets in my caravan as there's only 2 at the minute. Not something I've ever worked on before, I'm going to have a flick through the regs just now but anything to be aware of?

One of the sockets is going under the bed (this area is accessible from the outside by opening a hatch with a key). My reasons for this are so we can have a TV setup in the awning without extension leads trailing everywhere. I was just going to run a bit T+E under the beds straight from the DB to a pattress and standard double-pole socket outlet.

Nice and easy as it's all hidden anyway. The other one is a little trickier. See crude drawing. #1 is the one I've just described, #2 is the tricky one. A and B are the current sockets. In between the beds is a unit that pulls out to a small table - ideal for working on with my laptop, but I'd like to put a socket somewhere accessible but that isn't going to get in the way. Looking for ideas of how to achieve this.

I've also attached a photo to show you what I mean about the unit.

Van.png

WhatsApp Image 2017-08-12 at 15.36.07.jpeg

Hi Hightower, I've been a long time watcher on the forum but this is my first post. I've been training in the evenings to become a spark have just completed my city and guilds level 3 2365. But my full time job is a Caravan Service Engineer. There's not to much to worry about, as above really regarding using flex cable. You've probably noticed that caravans don't really pay to much attention to the regs. What I would probably do is run the cable for the tricky socket out the floor, clipped to the underside of the van then back up in the area you want that socket.

Thanks Mark, good to have you along! I'm thinking to run it under the beds still, don't fancy clipping to the underside in case I damage the integrity of the van - it was more where do I place the socket for it to be accessible but not in the way? I'm thinking about cutting in a box like the water heater switch at the bottom, but wondering if there's a better location for it.

There's no problem clipping it to the floor, there will already be cables, gas pipes etc clipped to it. I'd be tempted to do the same as the water heater switches but towards the front of the bed box. Cut the hole out with a jab saw, just take your time as the furniture board is often quite thin and can easily flex and crack

Gently with the muti tool on slow speed and fast fix boxes .

I have just fitted five double sockets in a van my son has just bought, two of them to replace the two original singles , the rest with usb outlets for the chargers , and the granddaughters tablet. I put one D/S in the centre of the front window valance , this saves the extension lead for your front set of drawers if you are using the laptops ect sitting in the front seats. This depeds on access and width of shelf though.
As has been said underneath the van is fine and a lot are manufactured this way, just use the appropriate Ho cable and clip it close.
Most caravan sites will limit you to ten or sixteen amps , so don't get to ambitious with what you take with you.

Floor is usually ply . Holes in caravan floors ,and to be honest ventilation is a must in vans , you will see the multiple vents when you get under there . Gas is heavy so any leaks it lies on the floor . The boot will have holes to let any escaped gas out , so I would not be too worried about sealing cable holes up, others may have a different opinion.
I just used standard cable clips suitable for the cable , but I clipped closer than the regs minimum . The manufactures cable is fitted in the same way.

Ps. I also put the USB sockets on a DP switch so they can be switched off after bedtime . Bit old fashioned and don't like the thought of the transformers ticking away through the night .

Thanks all for your help. Job done, double socket under bed for hatch and two singles either side of that bottom cupboard.

Took it off one of the current sockets as the db was chock full of the charger etc and didn't want to stick my big hands in that.

We've got a similar caravan and someone has already done an outside ip socket for use when using the awning. I'm pretty sure it's just fixed to the underside of the van (just below the skirt) on the meta framework

We've got a similar caravan and someone has already done an outside ip socket for use when using the awning. I'm pretty sure it's just fixed to the underside of the van (just below the skirt) on the meta framework
Yeah I really wasn't keen on putting any holes in the van so mine is now just inside the hatch - will be okay though as I can then plug the TV, shut the hatch with the cable trapped between and everything's a good'un.

Going to Shropshire and Somerset in a week, can't wait.

lets just hope you don't get jeremy clarkso behind you on a single carriageway.

Reply to Caravan Electrics (20 chars - have we still not fixed this?!) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net