Currently reading:
career prospects

Discuss career prospects in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electros

hello and merry Xmas!

I have read on the web, comments from electricians argueing that the trade of electrician is overpopulated and no more profitable. I have actually read that it's dead.

At the same time, I see numerous of vacancies for maintenance engineers electrically biased at several industries, paying very well. At reed.co.uk I see that such vacancies are significantly more that other engineering discipline vacancies and they don't attract too many applications (most below 10), which means to me that the prospects of finding a good job are very well.

But where is the truth actually? Do I miss something?

Thanks!

as I am interested in a industrial maintenance career and I see there are some engineers here, can you tell me please:

1) are factories that process metals, steel, aluminum, etc, like foundries and precision engineering shops, safe to work at?
2) which industries pays well its maintenance technicians?
3) can you describe me a typical day? how much of your time you spend it on production floor?

any other info trully welcomed!

as I am interested in a industrial maintenance career and I see there are some engineers here, can you tell me please:

1) are factories that process metals, steel, aluminum, etc, like foundries and precision engineering shops, safe to work at?
2) which industries pays well its maintenance technicians?
3) can you describe me a typical day? how much of your time you spend it on production floor?

any other info trully welcomed!

1) Ask Tony about foundries etc.. Safe to work?? That's why you have the HSE!! lol!!
2) If you're basing interest of electrical maintenance in monetary terms you'll probably not succeed!!
3) No-ones going to describe a typical day. You'll be expected to spend whatever time it takes to keep production running. It ain't a walk in the park when problems start appearing for no apparent reasons....

1) Safety at these places is proportional to the individuals experience and respect for his trade... 2) Heavy lifts,Mining and Tunneling... 3) Typical? for consistency, apply at local Sainsburys...Production floor=site/trench/flooded access chamber...Please don't think i am being flippant but you are after black and white answers in an opaque taciturn changeable field of skills. You will not readily make yourself employable in these fields,it's the experience you gain in many other areas of the trade,which will enable you to confidently apply and obtain a start... stick at it,good luck,and,remember,if it is easy,you need to aim higher :lips:

1) Safety at these places is proportional to the individuals experience and respect for his trade... 2) Heavy lifts,Mining and Tunneling... 3) Typical? for consistency, apply at local Sainsburys...Production floor=site/trench/flooded access chamber...Please don't think i am being flippant but you are after black and white answers in an opaque taciturn changeable field of skills. You will not readily make yourself employable in these fields,it's the experience you gain in many other areas of the trade,which will enable you to confidently apply and obtain a start... stick at it,good luck,and,remember,if it is easy,you need to aim higher :lips:

can you tell me please how you 're sure that heavy lifting industry pays well? any references?
also what industry you mean by 'tunneling' ?

Electros, don't take this the wrong way but what is your agenda here and your motives because from reading through this thread you have asked the members about every job going in the country , short of a circus clown. and is it all about purely earning money, because if that's the case you may be better going over to the plumbers forum. :sifone:

Electros, don't take this the wrong way but what is your agenda here and your motives because from reading through this thread you have asked the members about every job going in the country , short of a circus clown. and is it all about purely earning money, because if that's the case you may be better going over to the plumbers forum. :sifone:

it's because I need to get insight for the various alternatives within the trade from people who are into them

it's not only about money, but I would be lying if I say I don't care about money

Hi,i am sure heavy lifting paid well because i had a chunk of it,i will admit parts of that job have sunk,ie;drivers of 300 tonne £2million cranes sleeping in the back of vans as routine....don't get me started....But,the repair,maintenance and set-up involved in this industry remains lucrative.Remember,fast track instruction,SLI's,interlocks and alarms may allow a driver to lift an 80 tonne vessel,but let me tell you,it is 7 years plus before you attempt to fix out'....Your second question regarding tunneling,i was referring to sewer/infrastructure work,jacking,boring and under pressure,(no,not what your missus gives you at christmas...) If you are seeking a job offer with details,i cannot help you,this is for you to investigate.Good hunting.

Hi,i am sure heavy lifting paid well because i had a chunk of it,i will admit parts of that job have sunk,ie;drivers of 300 tonne £2million cranes sleeping in the back of vans as routine....don't get me started....But,the repair,maintenance and set-up involved in this industry remains lucrative.Remember,fast track instruction,SLI's,interlocks and alarms may allow a driver to lift an 80 tonne vessel,but let me tell you,it is 7 years plus before you attempt to fix out'....Your second question regarding tunneling,i was referring to sewer/infrastructure work,jacking,boring and under pressure,(no,not what your missus gives you at christmas...) If you are seeking a job offer with details,i cannot help you,this is for you to investigate.Good hunting.

sorry, but didn't understand much
I could hunt for a position in few heavy lifting companies, but I am not convinced about the profit. I know oil and gas pays well, due to the dangers of the jobs, but I haven't seen any evidence of heavy lifting industry paying well too, maybe a relative job ad?

I had an offer for an interview for such company, but I am not sure I will go. It's that in addition, I am afraid of heights. Doesn't this job involve working in extreme heights?

as for tunneling, is it about maintaining cranes and other construction plant machinery? I don't see the profit of that industry as well.

It would appear i am administering a physical form of admonishment to an expired equine...may i advise further integration and research on your part before pressing us on this topic.Over and out :stuart:

Reply to career prospects in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back