Discuss Logic Outputs Problem in 7493 IC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Im starting to make the (card)boards for the 'display' counter (0-15).
Very retro looking and feeling.
A lot of work. I only finished #1 module and tested on my breadboard and working and I have a GO for the rest.
Hope you like it.
IMG_20230112_081642.jpg

I think I am a little behind on your progress. Have you tested the 93 counter with all 16 LED driver decoder circuits sequencing one by one 0 to 15 and then repeating? The last video showed 0 to 4 (if I remember correctly).

Yes, I had a (wiring) problem on #5 and I figure it out. All messed up. Thank god it wasnt a logic problem. And after I seen that #5 is working, I get courage and filled the full length of the breadboard , to #8 and all worked just fine. I didnt make it to 16 since I dont have that many CLEAN diodes (legs). So I get another courage, round 2, and Im starting and HOPING that these cardboard ccts will do their job. I plan to make it until 8, like I did it on breadboard, and then put that in front and after it, on the breadboard to make it to 16 and this way make a FULL count of all 16 of them. Im also making a movie about it... from pieces filmed in time, as I progress.
Thanks for the interest. It looks nice, right? Hehe. But is a ton of work. Hope I will make it today... Mmmm

Last edited:
the decoder box on page 2 does not show any detail but you have worked out what is involved.
I dont understand what you mean by that... You mean that I figured out how to connect these 4inputs to get my 16 modes ?
I actually searched and didnt find a BCD for 4 bits(binary) to output 16 modes (decimal). I didnt searched well enough I guess, because here you are with it. Very good that you show it to me !
Are they even bigger that this? with 32 outputs maybe? or 64? That will be cool to see ! Haha.

An Update on the Progress:
IMG_20230112_183044.jpg

Slowly but surely...
You can see the board # number - fix in the middle of it.
I plan to make a mini-BUS wiring for these 4 ... probably... and actually put them to work in the cct on the breadboard...
We'll see. Im so bored of them... already, at the 4th one....
IMG_20230112_183051.jpg

I dont understand what you mean by that... You mean that I figured out how to connect these 4inputs to get my 16 modes ?
I actually searched and didnt find a BCD for 4 bits(binary) to output 16 modes (decimal). I didnt searched well enough I guess, because here you are with it. Very good that you show it to me !
Are they even bigger that this? with 32 outputs maybe? or 64? That will be cool to see ! Haha.
One can use two 4 bit to 16 line decoders to make a 5 bit to 32 line decoder by using the enable (EN) logic inputs on the decoders to select which decoder outputs to use depending on the state of the 5th bit. I cannot find an image for 5 bit to 32 line but the idea is expressed well enough by this attached image which shows the use of two 3 bit to 8 line decoders making a 4 bit to 16 line decoder. You can see how the 4th bit is connected a NOT gate and then one decoder connected to its output and the other decoder connected to its input - thus only one decoder is enabled at any time depending on the logic state of the 5th most significant bit. When the 5th bit is zero the decoded output is one of 0 to 7 and when the 5th bit is one the decoded output is one of 8 to 15. I leave to you to draw out how to use two 4 to 16 decoders to produce 32 outputs, and then how to use four 4 to 16 decoders to produce 64 outputs.

Attachments

• 4-to-16-decoder-using-3-to-8-decoder (1).jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1
I have to receive this chip but later in the mail.
to arrive: 4028 CD4028BM x10 BCD-to-decimal Decoder
[Can you check for me, if it is possible to cascade multiple of them? Thanks.]
I re-checked and I have NO BCD in all my arsenal of chips. These are the first ones for me.
Also Im looking to your 4514 4- to 16-Line Decoder/Demultiplexer.. maybe is good to get some as well.
I call them BCD but maybe they work the same as Demultiplexers? Im not sure here. It sounds it might be.
If its the same thing, then I have already
74138-74LS138 x10 1-OF-8 DECODER/DEMULTIPLEXER (10pcs)
And thanks for looking into my video !

Last edited:
The 4028 can be cascaded. See Figures 13 and 15 in this link:

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd4028b.pdf?ts=1673700179941&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ti.com%2Fproduct%2FCD4028B

The 4028 is a 3 bit binary to 8 line one-hot or 4 bit binary coded decimal ( 0 to 9 in 4 bit binary ie 0000 to 1001) to 10 line one-hot device.

The 4514 can also be cascaded. The nice thing is that this one is a 4 bit binary (ie 0000 to 1111) to 16 line one-hot device. It can do bcd to 10 line one-hot.

See: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd54hc4514.pdf?ts=1673772594066&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

The 74LS138 is a 3 bit binary to 8 line one-hot device. Since there are only 3 input bits (0 to 7) it can only select one of 8 output lines and thus does not do conversion of binary coded decimal (BCD) into 10 line one-hot. You need a 4 bit binary coded decimal word to do 0 to 9. The 138 can be cascaded.

See: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74ls138.pdf

Since there are only 3 input bits (0 to 7) it can only select one of 8 output lines and thus does not do conversion of binary coded decimal (BCD) into 10 line one-hot. You need a 4 bit binary coded decimal word to do 0 to 9.
Yes, so my real question with 74138 was if (any) DECODER/DEMULTIPLEXER IC can be used as BCD. And viceversa, any BCD as a DECODER/DEMULTIPLEXER. For you these things are trivial but they are very new to me. I really dont see the similarities/diferences between these 2 types. Very interesting.... thanks. I will have to pay more attention to my 74138 and see what you've seen/explained.
Also thanks for checking the cascade IC's for me.
I am currently hitting some very hard wall of errors with my boards I make. 1-from the scrappy components, 2-from very intricate connections, even if they are 4 to make, but when 1 goes to 3, in words sounds ok and easy, but there with those tiny wires, aaah, is hard. 3-not very, but too small spaces between the rails and the leg of the diode must hit 'in the zone' and not too much left or right. Get me? So there are even much more details like these, I will not enumerate all, but they are making this entire component extremly hard to make. I had to unsolder over 10 times the same board(s) and search and repair what was buggy and still I didnt figure it out. I did figure out 1 board, 1 diode that is functioning ok alone when measured but not in the cct, very strange. After I replace it, all got to normal working. But until I discovered the -------, took me 1 day. And the fun part, now when I put the second board on the rail, everything goes to hell again...aaaaah. I was VERY lucky with the 1234 module. No errors whatsoever. This one Im working right now is 5678. Im thinking to change tactics and make everything even bigger, to be able to repair and test and check and solder in the same time. Like I did on the breadboard. Well see. Very challenging. But I will make it work, one way or another. I dont like it BIG, but if this is what it wants to be...

A coder/decoder or multiplexer/demultiplexer can do BCD to 10 lines one hot or vice versa provided that 4 bits are used for the binary input/output. Three bit words only covers the numbers 0 to 7 and therefore cannot cover the decimal numbering system which uses 0 to 9.

I am glad you are having fun! The effort required makes the success more satisfying (perhaps).

Reply to Logic Outputs Problem in 7493 IC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net