Discuss CCTV regulations recording other premises in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

APE37

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wondering if I can pick the brains of a few CCTV installers.
We are concerned about a neighbour using CCTV from their house to watch us. They live opposite us and have the camera pointed from a window looking out across the road and onto our property. I believe this is not the use for CCTV as it is for recording the users property and should not face onto a public highway and onto other people premises. Is there any regulations I can quote to back up my argument, or is it just invasion of privacy?
Thanks for any help on the matter, don't do any CCTV and just want to be a bit clued up on the situation before I talk to the neighbour.
Cheers

They live opposite us and have the camera pointed from a window looking out across the road and onto our property. I believe this is not the use for CCTV as it is for recording the users property and should not face onto a public highway and onto other people premises
yes their is a legislation brought in by the government, called nosey parker legislation.;)

The Law on Domestic CCTV: (Home CCTV Law)
The Data Protection Act does not apply to individuals’ private or household purposes. So if you install a CCTV camera on your own home to protect it from burglary or anti-social behaviour, the DPA will not apply to you. (Section 36 of Data Protection Act 1998.)

However that is not to say that you can use CCTV anyway you like. For example CCTV Cameras being deliberately pointed on areas outside of your property, could amount to harassment and potentially give rise to prosecution under the Public Order Act or Protection from Harassment Act.

Question: Can I, or my neighbours, install CCTV?
Answer:You can install CCTV for your home without breaking the Law, if the cameras are installed on residential property and are for personal domestic use, they are unlikely to breach any laws even if the camera overlooks the street or other areas near the house. If you are concerned about the use of domestic CCTV, it may be worth contacting your local council and police.

Question: Can my landlord use CCTV in communal areas?
Answer: Yes, usually they will need to make you aware of this and explain why they have installed the cameras. The purpose and motive behind the CCTV cameras is very important.

Question: Do I need a license to install CCTV cameras at my front door?
Answer: In short, no you don't. As long as the purpose of the CCTV is to protect your property. Just make sure you are not breaking the law by spying on the public or using CCTV for data gathering. (For example do not record the number plate of every car that passes your house, do not try to make a database of all the people that live on the road or keep an eye on your neighbours activities.)

Hi guys.
Thanks for the input, especially buzz.
Don't want to go into too much detail, but we have had numerous run ins with the neighbour using the CCTV and they have a camera pointing straight at our property and feel they are recording our movements outside the house. We have also had visitors to our house being stopped by the neighbour in the petrol station telling them various statements, which are not true. So feel we are being harassed directly and indirectly. Maybe a call to the council and police will need to be the next step?
Anyway thanks for the input.
APE

It’s hard to prove that they are recording your property, and not their own.

Can you see their camera? Does it appear to be not pointing at their driveway or garden?
Is it directed at your door for example?

It would have to be a fairly good camera to focus on anything across the street, so I think they know it’s p***ing you off and are deliberately trying to intimidate.

Hi Buzz, will have a chat with the police like you say.
The camera is a stand alone type sat in the lounge window facing straight across the road onto our driveway/ front of house. The blinds are down but open so seems they are trying to record secretly-ish. The last straw was the other day when a visitor to my house told me that the neighbour had stopped them in the petrol station to voice their opinion of us. Getting a bit much involving others outside of the house now, and need to look at getting this sorted out.
Cheers for all the help.
APE

Have noticed Police sometimes give the game away ,parking their cars where covert private CCTV is.
(that never looks good if its your house)
--If have some "propper trouble makers"---CCTV can improve things!
(I also must feel insecure -as I often have my curtains drawn..with no need to peek)

Personal experience, I’m afraid. I’ve got a camera trained on my van on my drive, but it’s behind a window. Great during the day, but as soon as infra red comes on, I get a black screen with a circle of little white dots.

Worse when there’s rain on the window as well

Get a big camera and point it at their house, doesn't even have to work what's good for the goose....................!

My thought would be - ignore it. Seriously what will they record? There are many strange and sad folks in the world, best just let them be.
You could maybe put up your own CCTV or even just the signs, but I'd only go to that trouble if you felt they would help discourage burglary etc.
https://www.screwflix..com/p/cctv-in-operation-sign-200-x-150mm/49185

As an update. They have moved out. I would not consider myself or my family bad neighbours. They just seem to take a dislike to us. But they have moved on now so all fine now. apparently they was causing problems for other neighbours as well in the street, so think it has worked out for the best for all parties involved.

Reply to CCTV regulations recording other premises in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock