Discuss Chasing sockets under, over or around the gas pipe?! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post so please be nice, I'm currently installing a new kitchen and in the early stages of putting the electrics and plumbing in place before its plastered.
I have done everything else but I am unsure what the regs are on gas pipes(start my course on Monday), the consumer unit was professionally installed and has been earthed to the water and gas pipes.
The picture I've attached will sort of explain what I mean but basically I'm trying to chase a socket down to the void under the floorboards but there is a gas pipe going through my path, I've read different things that it has to be 25mm or 50mm away from the gas pipe but I'd rather ask to see if someone can clarify this for me.
The easy way out I was going to say put the socket under the gas pipe but it will mean I have to extend other appliances power leads.
any help will be massively appreciated.
thanks
ShaunChasing sockets under, over or around the gas pipe?! image - EletriciansForums.net

Hi Scorrer 11. I note from your profile you are a trainee. There is a section in this forum for trainees, where certain approved members can you reply to your post. Probably best placed there, I'm sure one of the moderators could assist you in that. In answer to your question, the distances you speak of come from BS6891:2005, and are described in the on-site guide for electricians, if you have a copy. You could consider running cables horizontally between the two sockets (in prescribed zone).

Hi Scorrer 11. I note from your profile you are a trainee. There is a section in this forum for trainees, where certain approved members can you reply to your post. Probably best placed there, I'm sure one of the moderators could assist you in that. In answer to your question, the distances you speak of come from BS6891:2005, and are described in the on-site guide for electricians, if you have a copy. You could consider running cables horizontally between the two sockets (in prescribed zone).

That is a very diplomatic reply.:smile5:

Replying to Murdoch; agreed, but what's the point of this forum if you can't ask? That's why he's best in the trainee section.

I think part of the problem these days is that the "youth" don't like asking questions - yet the best way to learn is to ask people you are with, rather than some faceless "bods" on a forum.

We have all seen some of the very questionable guidance offered on here!

I think part of the problem these days is that the "youth" don't like asking questions - yet the best way to learn is to ask people you are with, rather than some faceless "bods" on a forum.

We have all seen some of the very questionable guidance offered on here!
True enough, but as Oscar Wilde said 'The only thing to do with good advice, is pass it on. It's never of use to oneself'

post #2 is your solution. extend 1 leg of the ring in the existing socket with wagos to the new socket and fix a link between the 2. that way you will maintain the ring.

It's a bit worrying that you're installing sockets but can't see the simple answer to this question.

he may have been told that it's bad practice to run horizontal. i've had arguments with other sparks over this, even though OSG clearly shows that it's a prescribed zone.

Need Geordie spark , but i would be making sure that the gas pipe is coated ,as it is embedded in that plaster wall.
I do not fancy that at all.

Hi Scorrer, if you're currently on a training course of any kind please feel free to read this and apply for access to our trainee forum.

Hi marvo, since I've started this thread I've applied to join the trainee section
land I've been told to go vertically down with sockets and vertically up with switches for suspended flooring.
would it be seen as acceptable to go horizontal from the first socket to the second in these circumstances?
what would you guys do if i asked you to do the job?! ;)
thanks
shaun

Hi marvo, since I've started this thread I've applied to join the trainee section 
land I've been told to go vertically down with sockets and vertically up with switches for suspended flooring.
would it be seen as acceptable to go horizontal from the first socket to the second in these circumstances?
what would you guys do if i asked you to do the job?! ;)
thanks
shaun

Who by? Thats rollocks

This may help!

Safe zones for electric cables - DIYWiki

as above. up/down/left/right. as long as in line with accessory. ignoring the irrelevant (to this thread) safe zones in corners.

Reply to Chasing sockets under, over or around the gas pipe?! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock