Discuss Chinese 3 phase, 380v 50z motor on UK 3 phase mains in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chris06749

Will these be any issues running a Chinese 3 phase motor, 380v 50z motor on standard UK 3 phase mains?

Will be used for a few hours max each day

Are we likely to have over heating problems?

Would we be better off modifying the wiring/using a transformer of some kind? What are the likely costs involved?

As you can tell I know very very little about this so all help greatly appreciated!

Regards

Does the rating plate offer other voltages? Most motors can be configured 380/400/440v in either star or delta configuration. Are there removable links in the terminal chambe

Hi

appreciate the reply

the seller just told me that
' For power supply 3P 380V 50HZ, the motor can work in the range from 380-410V. And the terminal chamber are the same !'

would this be in range and suitable for uk 3 phase ?

Hi

appreciate the reply

the seller just told me that
' For power supply 3P 380V 50HZ, the motor can work in the range from 380-410V. And the terminal chamber are the same !'

would this be in range and suitable for uk 3 phase ?

Really???? What voltage would you like the motor to run at? I have lots more questions but im too grumpy today to type...

You’re supply will most likely be 433V. it’s up to you if you use it.

Probably be cheaper to change the motor and the control transformer.

Our MD loves to buy antique machines, we have a few machines rated at 380V all the way around, our supply varies from 415-440V. Never had any issues with this.

It will be absolutely fine. Cheap Chinese motor anyway!! Fully expendable lol

What's your voltage at the origin? Might be on the lower side of the nominal voltage anyway plus a bit of VD underload will bring it down a bit more.
What is the motor application? What size is it? Are you using a VFD?

Most motors rated at 380v 3-phase will run fine on a 440v 3-phase supply. There's a very small chance of overheating if the motor is running at more than than 90% of it's rated current. If it's running close to it's max current then prolonged minor overheating tends to cause premature bearing failure due to lubricant breakdown rather than winding damage so keep an eye on the bearings.
Also, obviously connect up the controls to include the thermal safety contact or NTC if the motor has one built into it.

Reply to Chinese 3 phase, 380v 50z motor on UK 3 phase mains in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net