Discuss Coffee machine wiring 3 phase on single phase circuit in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
This coffee machine is three phase model number sm 105e
It’s three phase with 3 brown cables one neutral and earth
What is the cheapest way to wire it in?
thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 30
Is there 3 phase available at the property?

some machines can be wired for single phase.
check the name plate and instructions

Having a quick look online, it looks like it can be configured for single phase.
you need to get the correct manual for that model.

however it is between 5 and 7.5kw
so you are going to need some bigger cables than we can see in the picture!

Having a quick look online, it looks like it can be configured for single phase.
you need to get the correct manual for that model.

however it is between 5 and 7.5kw
so you are going to need some bigger cables than we can see in the picture!
Thanks James just got the correct manual now just wondering if I can spur off the 16a 2.5mm plug socket
Do you know what size cable and if it needs a converter? Thanks much appreciated

I think a 32A socket and rotary isolator would be the way forward.
maybe a dedicated rcd would be good.

edit, I think you may be getting out of your depth here.
might be worth getting someone in who understands 3 phase equipment, they should be able to configure it for single phase use.

what sort of current do you think it will draw?

That machine can be wired for single phase and is shown in the data sheet as 3500 / 4500 watts.
The O.P needs to design a suitable dedicated supply for it otherwise the first time it's usde the Coffee shop will end up closing down.

You don't need a phase converter, the machine can operate perfectly well on single-phase. Many can, because the main load is just three single-phase heating elements, it does not matter whether they are on the same or different phases so long as they all get power. On this machine, where there is an option to connect the elements in either star or delta, the three phase can be 400V or 230V (as sometimes found elsewhere in the world) or single phase at 230V only.

On single-phase, though, even if as per the instructions you reduce its power by leaving one element unconnected, the load current is high enough to demand its own circuit.

Reply to Coffee machine wiring 3 phase on single phase circuit in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net