Discuss Commuting to work in London in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello bit of an odd question perhaps but I've been looking at working in London but living outside of it and was wondering how you guys do it do you get the train in if your on a big job or are firms happy with you driving in with a company van 1hr or so away etc?

All depends on the job, in the past I've only needed basic hand tools so used the train and tube, other times I've had to take the van.

Depends what you're doing - hand tools only its one thing but what all these head-in-the-clouds idiots with their "low traffic neighbourhoods" and other traffic jam creating schemes don't realise is you can't do what I do using busses or trains! If you want electric or running water or FOOD (and all these middle classes want lots and lots of all of that) then you need van people. London is disappearing up its own A though and soon as this lockdowns over - many councils have taken advantage of lockdown low traffic to seize road space and screw it up even worse - it's going to be bedlam.

But my mrs is an Aussie and we're making plans...

I avoid London unless it is for a couple of days holiday there. More so Heathrow terminal 5 :(

Depends what you're doing - hand tools only its one thing but what all these head-in-the-clouds idiots with their "low traffic neighbourhoods" and other traffic jam creating schemes don't realise is you can't do what I do using busses or trains! If you want electric or running water or FOOD (and all these middle classes want lots and lots of all of that) then you need van people. London is disappearing up its own A though and soon as this lockdowns over - many councils have taken advantage of lockdown low traffic to seize road space and screw it up even worse - it's going to be bedlam.

A couple of weeks ago the high court ruled most of these schemes were illegal and needed to be removed. They're a complete pain in the bum, Park Lane is a complete ---- take.

These "low traffic neighbourhoods" you seem to think so little of are to create a safe environment for people to live in and cut down emissions, they are not the cause of traffic jams. The cause of traffic jams is the totally unnecessary use of private vehicles when other options are available.

There is far too much space given over to vehicles in London and it's about time we adopted a more progressive approach to traffic management in our cities. Public transport is excellent in London and quieter than ever at the moment, so I advise OP to use that where possible and if you need to, then use a van.

My tu'penny worth having done this for a few years before leaving London.
I commuted by tube, pre-covid, with various trolleys and bag options to carry drill drivers and hand tools. It was do-able (bus to train to tube and walk) but back breaking and I always missed something I needed. Maybe if you could get to grips with the lifts and ramps on the tube it would be easier. I also cover most of the east end of London (never again) by van and parking / moving after two hours was a pain. The hand tools / bag / trolly combination could be made to work IF you know exactly what your tasks are, For example second fixing.

I avoid London unless it is for a couple of days holiday there. More so Heathrow terminal 5 :(
I worked on T5 when it was being built. I “commuted” from a hotel to a car park, then bendy bus with everyone else onto site.

The Scottish Borders are trialing a blanket 20mph limit across all towns in an attempt to make it safer. Can add extra time onto a journey having to slow down more than normal.

The Scottish Borders are trialing a blanket 20mph limit across all towns in an attempt to make it safer. Can add extra time onto a journey having to slow down more than normal.
The M1 through Luton has a speed restriction - to cut pollution I understand.
It bungs up the traffic and makes pollution worse in my opinion.
Probably a good revenue source as well with the varying speed limits.

Reply to Commuting to work in London in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock