Discuss Consumer Unused Spare ways in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The manufacturer should make a plastic clip say blue in colour and then you switch off all the MCBs not in use so the customer can see the ones that are in use with the blue clip indicating not used. I tend to go along the road of putting blanks in then giveing the spares to the customer (yes I know they will get lost) but some just leave them on top of the CU and they think it is good customer service

we prefer to remove unused MCB's and fit blanks....that way it's obvious to even the uninitiated which ways are in use. One of my pet hates is those who scrawl 'SPARE' across an unused way,making it impossible to write on the label in the future if the way is used. If a blank is installed it's obvious it has no function....if you leave an unused MCB in there it's not....hence the inevitable 'SPARE' scrawled by some.:-------:

I never leave unused ones in but always use DIN mounted blanking plates so they can't come off.
Leaving unused ones in just confuses some people believe it or not.
I always mark as BLANK on the EIC but nothing on the board itself in case the space is needed in the future, if the customer requests a spare put in then SPARE & rating, type etc is on the EIC again with nothing on the board.
If you do leave one in, always make it clear on the EIC what it is to cover yo ---.

Sorry hadn't realised you were policing the forum.
My comment was in reference to how the thread develops and the need for labelling and charts, as the OP mentioned 'Identifying' unused circuits.
Next time I want to post something I will run it by you first ..:32:

J

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Thanks for the response. There are some out there that use forums such as this to show off their knowledge of the regulations and take every opportunity to post comments that imply that others know nothing of the regs. The info you posted, though not directly related to the original OP was, I agree, of value. Thank you.

You could always just buy the MCB's you need!

A bit like the MEM 2000 board I was called out to only to find the shower switch wired up the wrong way and the shower circuit wired in with the kitchen ring and yes this board was fitted in the days when you bought the MCBs separately plus when Wylex does that deal with the sockets and the 5 extra MCBs thrown in why are they all 32A and where are you going to put them as the CU supplied is already full ?

we prefer to remove unused MCB's and fit blanks....that way it's obvious to even the uninitiated which ways are in use. One of my pet hates is those who scrawl 'SPARE' across an unused way,making it impossible to write on the label in the future if the way is used. If a blank is installed it's obvious it has no function....if you leave an unused MCB in there it's not....hence the inevitable 'SPARE' scrawled by some.:-------:

We do the same as you Wirepuller , but leave the spares on top of the board as that way they tend not to get lost , also as and when that particular model of breaker is superseded the client has at least a chance of not having to replace the whole board if the parts are either extortionate or in short demand !
And I'm with you when it comes to writing spare all over the board ! Why do it ?

Consumer Unused Spare ways P7020021 (640x480) - EletriciansForums.net

Or there is this I found last month plus the live bar did not have a cover on it..

Consumer Unused Spare ways P6020005 (640x480) - EletriciansForums.net

This is a board I did in a rental property but the first picture was a guy who could not be bothered in my view

Leave out unused MCBs a fit blanks. Blanks are made for this!

Everyone know whats what when it comes to how many circuit are fed from the CU.

I take them out and put decent blanks in, i only fit Hager boards so I can always get hold of good blanks. Personally I think It's rough to leave unused MCB's in. If your concerned about the customer having paid for them then give them to the customer instead of leaving them in the board.

I take them out and put decent blanks in, i only fit Hager boards so I can always get hold of good blanks. Personally I think It's rough to leave unused MCB's in. If your concerned about the customer having paid for them then give them to the customer instead of leaving them in the board.

why is it rough, there is no safety isue and regards asthetics, well i recon fully loaded looks beter than with blanks.

I leave them in and turned off. I don't write 'spare' or 'unused' beneath them though, as I find this really annoying when I come to use a spare way and I want to label it as to its use!

I ALWAYS remove and only for one reason... To stop silly DIYers taking a new circuit into a spare breaker.

Here's an example.

My consumer unit cupboard is rather dark... I know, I'll wire a light in there. That working on a fuseboard looks really easy after watching that spark. It's only a few wires it'll be fine.

Yep, until those few pieces of a 1.5mm scrap cable, ancient light and switch found in the garage end up in a 32A breaker.... One day... BOOM!!!!, neee naaaaa neeeee naaaaaa. Oh hello fireman Sam, not sure what that electrician did when he was here but my fuse board is on fire now, Plleeeeeeeeaaaaase Help????

Agree with all the thoughts that the clip-in type blanks are not good for much and I prefer the DIN mount ones, but they do have a place for when you've got a board that's got a half-width module in it!

Because It's lazy, maybe rough wasn't the right word but I would say it is very poor practice. The breaker is serving no purpose and the average homeowner is an idiot. It may not be labelled but Joe average probably think's it is doing something

I don't fit MCB's in the spaces for reasons mostly noted above

The other reason is cost- why fit an MCB to a board just coz you have given a price, that's like saying i've left you with 50m of cable coz I over estimated when you finish a rewire.

I fit blanks and point them to the customer as a bonus "look these parts (pointing to the blanks) are there incase you want to add something in later. I always like to fit consumer units with enough space for extras"

That way the customer is feeling fine and you have explained why the blanks are there.

I buy Hager din rail blanks as I don't like the cover mounting ones.

I always remove any MCB's and keep them and then install blanks (preferably the dummy MCB ones). This way it doesn't confuse people and you don't have to write the MCB/Fuses deatils for the spare way on the test results. You can just write blank and put a line through it!

Reply to Consumer Unused Spare ways in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock