Discuss Crimping 240v Twin and Earth - Safe?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If working for the water board, power stations large steel works, mines and quarries etc, anywhere in fact with a clerk of works and a spec. Solid core cannot be crimped. I know because once we had to rip about 1000 metres of 1.5 7core out, because it was solid core and all connections out in the field were crimp connections. And thinking about other places I've worked never have crimped solid core before.

We didn't know it was solid core until connection time, nor did the gaffer, tried to bluff through..no chance it was spotted quickly. Wholesaler at fault, or so was told to us -;
At the time I wondered why not, ask the clerk of works...he looks at me like mainwaring looks at pike..Because solid core breaks under vibration at weak point on crimp, because of expansion and contraction eventually losens the joint, stranded does not..and your boss should know why...oops

Come on shakey, thought u might have typed a real long post about this, the thing that wattsup has said sounds correct, (great explanation by the way) but is there any where in the regs which says you can only crimp stranded? or is it just good practice/bad practice?

Because solid core breaks under vibration at weak point on crimp, because of expansion and contraction eventually losens the joint, stranded does not

I

To my knowledge theres nothing on paper just what I was always taught... but then I always bootlace ferrule stranded flex connections in FCU's etc and I have never seen any other sparkie doing that either,so I suppose its just each to their own.

As a footnote, mi, if lugs are needed have to be soldered. The big stuff 25mm and beyond is like working with 6 inch nails, arnie would have trouble forming it, and the dimwit manufacturers give you no room for error in their termination enclosures. Sometimes it is next to impossible and a further splitter box is needed

>>so crimping solid cores aint against the regs,<<
I don't think it is, but very bad practice

Last edited by a moderator:
So, and sorry because this is probably off the topic now, if you want to join say a 2.5, can you use spring loaded multiconnectors like Helacon Plus range - in a box, which can then be inaccessible?

However I like crimping, its therapeutic.

Just read thru this whole thread again - not initially realising how old it was :eek:

If working for the water board, power stations large steel works, mines and quarries etc, anywhere in fact with a clerk of works and a spec. Solid core cannot be crimped. I know because once we had to rip about 1000 metres of 1.5 7core out, because it was solid core and all connections out in the field were crimp connections. And thinking about other places I've worked never have crimped solid core before.

We didn't know it was solid core until connection time, nor did the gaffer, tried to bluff through..no chance it was spotted quickly. Wholesaler at fault, or so was told to us -;
At the time I wondered why not, ask the clerk of works...he looks at me like mainwaring looks at pike..Because solid core breaks under vibration at weak point on crimp, because of expansion and contraction eventually losens the joint, stranded does not..and your boss should know why...oops

It occurred to me that these are good reasons in the environments mentioned , but that in a domestic situation the cable is probably more protected and less likely to be subject to extremes of temp and vibration - maybe??

So, and sorry because this is probably off the topic now, if you want to join say a 2.5, can you use spring loaded multiconnectors like Helacon Plus range - in a box, which can then be inaccessible?

However I like crimping, its therapeutic.

If they are similar style to those Ashley ones then yes, that is what a lot of people on here have said.

I go with bootlace ferrules for stranded flex in FCU's - really not sure about crimps on solid conductors

As long as the crimp is attatched using the correct tool then there isnt a problem ,correct tool i mean ,a ratchet crimper not a hand crimper , yes it does crush the solid core but so does every termination you do ,how often have you fixed say a light switch and over tightend it and the wires broke ,so crimp insulate job done ,great for mains board upgrades when the wires need extending

As long as the crimp is attatched using the correct tool then there isnt a problem ,correct tool i mean ,a ratchet crimper not a hand crimper , yes it does crush the solid core but so does every termination you do ,how often have you fixed say a light switch and over tightend it and the wires broke ,so crimp insulate job done ,great for mains board upgrades when the wires need extending

I agree.....Crimps fitted properly are a life safer sometimes for CU changes. I also heat shrink over the top.

Only cable that shouldnt be crimped is cable with aluminium conductors ,as for insulation over the joint i use 8kv rated coloured self amalgamating tape

Only cable that shouldnt be crimped is cable with aluminium conductors ,as for insulation over the joint i use 8kv rated coloured self amalgamating tape

There’s no problem with crimping aluminium conductors if you use the correct tool and an anti-oxidising paste.

If done correctly yes.

Sounds good.
I personally like the sound of using copper crimps on copper cables and then heat shrinking.
The regs clearly state that all mechanical joints should be accessable for inspection and maintenance with a few exceptions one being unless a permanent joint is made with the appropriate compression tool.
Copper crimps would be good because if the crimps are not copper there may be some sort of reaction between two different types of metal at the joint.
I would prefer to run a new cable but then sometimes this is not practical.
I guess you would haveto make sure you did not over stress the crimp because you may damage the cable leading it to snap at a later date especially if it was solid core copper.

Last edited:
crimps in trunking?
I would say it ok if cable can be clipped or fixed to the back of the trunking as any movement from maintenance etc could loosen connections. The regs say without quoting that crimps are acceptable in a plastered wall ( maintenance free ).

Reply to Crimping 240v Twin and Earth - Safe?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock