Discuss Defeated By Stroma Online Certification in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mhar

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Never been the most intuitive piece of software to use.
I am trying to certify / notify a new build but the address isn't in their database as it hasn't been signed off yet. It hasn't been signed off yet because I haven't certified and notified. I am unable to certify or notify because the address isn't in their database.
How do I enter a new address into their system please?

1. Enter it manually if possible, give it a go.
2. Contact Stroma if you cant do the above.
3. The Stroma site does not deal with certifications just notifications. You can complete the certificate as normal and give to the client.

Thanks for the reply, not sure I understand it though!!
I am unable to enter the address manually and Stroma are closed today.
What do you mean when you say the Stroma site does not deal with certifications? One of the first things asked is what type of certificate do you want to produce. Minor works certs rarely require notification but are an option.
I am using the E-Cert software provided by Stroma when you enrol with them

Post Codes for new properties, take some time to materialise. My son moved into a new flat, and the selected postcode didn't compute. Took him ages to get a pizza delivered! Elecsa on-line certs allow you enter addresses manually, but not so sure about notifications.

Thanks for the reply, not sure I understand it though!!
I am unable to enter the address manually and Stroma are closed today.
What do you mean when you say the Stroma site does not deal with certifications? One of the first things asked is what type of certificate do you want to produce. Minor works certs rarely require notification but are an option.
I am using the E-Cert software provided by Stroma when you enrol with them

Sorry, I did not realise you were trying to use their e-cert system. I just use the installer portal as mentioned by @Vortigern, this is just for notifications and is quick and simple. I still hand write my certificates, I did contemplate having a look at the e-cert but a few members have mentioned how difficult it is to use so I have not got around to it yet.

I'd be suprised if Stroma have a seperate form for this. I would have thought that if you are going to third party certify the work then you would fill in an EIC as you would be there before the job starts, during the job (at times) and after the job has finished. At present anyone could come along and complete an EICR after the work has been completed so it doesn't make any sense that the 'third party scheme' suggests this.

I'd be suprised if Stroma have a seperate form for this. I would have thought that if you are going to third party certify the work then you would fill in an EIC as you would be there before the job starts, during the job (at times) and after the job has finished. At present anyone could come along and complete an EICR after the work has been completed so it doesn't make any sense that the 'third party scheme' suggests this.
That's what we are asking, could you find out from Stroma, when you got some spare time?
PS Napit charges an extra £60 to register 3rd party installer.

could you find out from Stroma,
Yeh will do and get back to you its an interesting question. I think they are jumpy about third party anything though. But they liked my sub-contractors agreement form and were happy using subbies, so that may mean third party is ok but will find out.

Thanks for all the replies.
When I signed up with them nobody mentioned about having to use the portal that vortigern linked to, but they did get all excited about the E-cert software. When using the E-cert software you have to choose a status before saving the form, the choices being 1) incomplete 2) complete 3) submitted. I assumed that by clicking submitted that I was submitting to building control, similar to the way that Elecsa do it (who I moved from). If not who am I submitting it to, I fear the answer may be that great god idontgiveashit
The whole notification process is a bit of a cock-up to be honest. Early last year I attended a property rewired by a Polish crew and discovered unprotected meter tails that were concealed and well in excess of 20m. A quick call to building control and I was informed that the council were unable to access notifications received prior to 2013!!
When I enrolled with Stroma I was told that I would be able to do third party certifications as I hold the 2391 and this would be enabled after my first assessment with them (which is overdue) and I understood to be merely a matter of them enabling access to a new form on their E-cert software (they control the forms that you have access to, we don't all have access to the same forms).
When doing the course for the 2391 a similar question was asked and we were advised that there would be nothing to stop us doing a single circuit (orcovering only as much as required) EICR as long as we were very specific in the extent and limitations section

The Stroma e cert software is not difficult to use unless you are a complete IT numpty, it is not intuitive and could be better designed in that you have to enter all information every time you use it but it is free with membership and works. The online portal is also easy to use, personally I do not see any issues with notification or the e cert software. All of the instructions come on an e mail when you first sign up with them, you just have to read them. The software and notifications portal are separate as you get charged 40p to issue a certificate whereas the notifications are free!

Well that beats Certsures on-line certificates, BC fee £3.60, certs £1.20. Certs are easy to use, and there is a separate tech support, with remote access facility, if you get stuck.

From a Stroma user perspective:

1. Doing a notification is separate from doing a certificate (its very similar to the Elecsa system)

2. The "ECert" system is carp - you have to be on line to use it

On the plus side the fees per year are less and the notification fees are less!

Reply to Defeated By Stroma Online Certification in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net