Discuss DIY Shocker!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DIYer Gaz

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope everyone is well.

So to detail my experience, I had a loose wire behind my electric cooker mains plug, so I tested the plug after sorting the wire forgot to turn off the mains at the box and yes as you can guess as I went to push the socket into the wall to screw in, two fingers on eight hand touches the metal box behind the socket all whilst being barefoot standing on the kitchen floor. Never felt anything like it, straight up my eight arm fuzzy head and all that. This was late last night about 10.30pm. Should I be worried? It is fair to say I will be staying away from electrics from now on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully lesson learnt as next time you may not be so lucky. As Andy has said you would be advised to talk to the NHS as a severe shock can interrupt the hearts rhythm without the victim being aware. That said it is probably unlikely. I believe the NHS has expressed concern that conditions other than CV are being left in the present climate, and they have clearly stated if you would normally seek treatment for an accident you should still do so.
I am immensely pleased however that you didn't claim to be thrown across the room, as almost all non-electricians laughably do.

As others have said, there can be longer-term effects but the fact your are alive and well enough to post here 12 hours later is a good sign!

Given that, and assuming you feel OK now (other than psychological shock, so no sign of burns or so on your fingers and no unusual heart beat) it might be worth speaking to the NHS direct just in case, but I suspect the current risk of getting COVID-19 from an A&E trip is probably greater than doing nothing.

But you still have a dangerous cooker to deal with! I would suggest you should put off the cooker circuit at your consumer unit (fuse box) until it can be fixed.

Just now that is probably the last concern, but it has to be made safe and I would see if you can get a local sparky in to check it over. If that is not possible (or you / someone in your home is being shielded as at-risk from COVID-19) then do you have another cooking option like a microwave oven to use?

Thanks guys. Yeah it was a quick touch and pull away of the hand. Would this be classed as a mild or severe shock given it did not burn my fingers or send me flying across the room? I may have used an expletive or two.

Thanks guys. Yeah it was a quick touch and pull away of the hand. Would this be classed as a mild or severe shock given it did not burn my fingers or send me flying across the room? I may have used an expletive or two.
It sounds like a "mild shock" as you had limited contact and were able to pull away.

The bigger risk is when the shock is hand-to-hand or (in your case suspect) hand-to-foot as then it passes around the heart and can cause fibrillation (disruption of the beating pattern) and that is the most common reason for death, not major burns.

What makes things worse is the shock causes involuntary contraction, in your case probably a pull-away movement, but if you have gripped round something like a pipe/handle/etc then you find you simply can't let go no matter how you try.

These days a lot of circuits have RCD (residual current device) protection to detect the most common danger of a shock from live to earth but not all houses have that fitted, and some don't have it on fixed circuits such as cookers, etc.

As RCD became cheaper over the years the wiring regulations started to specify them on more types of circuit, but the regulations are not retrospective - you don't have to update house wiring that is otherwise safe to the standard it was installed to - and so it takes decades for these to become common.

As has been said contact the NHS. All they will do is stick you on the little machine that goes ping for a while to ensure your heart rhythm is correct. Most local treatment centres will be able to do this rather than A&E.

Sooner rather than later.

My concern is that contacting the metal box SHOULD NOT GIVE YOU A SHOCK.

There may be a damaged cable and or a missing earth.
Please get this switched off at the fuse box until it can be properly checked for safety.

It sounds like a "mild shock" as you had limited contact and were able to pull away.

The bigger risk is when the shock is hand-to-hand or (in your case suspect) hand-to-foot as then it passes around the heart and can cause fibrillation (disruption of the beating pattern) and that is the most common reason for death, not major burns.

What makes things worse is the shock causes involuntary contraction, in your case probably a pull-away movement, but if you have gripped round something like a pipe/handle/etc then you find you simply can't let go no matter how you try.

These days a lot of circuits have RCD (residual current device) protection to detect the most common danger of a shock from live to earth but not all houses have that fitted, and some don't have it on fixed circuits such as cookers, etc.

As RCD became cheaper over the years the wiring regulations started to specify them on more types of circuit, but the regulations are not retrospective - you don't have to update house wiring that is otherwise safe to the standard it was installed to - and so it takes decades for these to become common.
Thanks for the explanation. That is worrying that is passed around my heart! Worried about getting checked out with the current pandemic!

check that your pulse is regular. relaxed it should be < 70 bpm.

Thanks for the explanation. That is worrying that is passed around my heart! Worried about getting checked out with the current pandemic!
With "dry" fingers (i.e. not soaking wet like bathroom, etc) and screw-sized contact area you probably won't have had more than around 25-50mA and it sounds like your contact time would have been a fraction of a second, so looking at the typical danger levels here:

You are probably were roughly in the middle of that graph, possibly in in the green area, maybe in to the yellow if contact longer than 1/4 second, but unlikely to have entered the red zone where there is an increasing danger to health/life.

Still best to speak to the NHS direct line and getting a medial opinion based on your health history and so on.

As said already, we (as electrical folk, not medical) are more worried by the risk your cooker may be/become live and present a greater risk of the same or worse!

Pleeeese...NO! NO! NO!
I gave you credit for not claiming to have been thrown across the room and now you've gone and completely ruined it by suggesting you could have been!!
For the record.
Anyone claiming to have been thrown across the room is telling whoppers.

If you are in my area I will come and take a look at it and make safe. I am on the register of emergency call out electricians and with precautions will happily help out. I have registered on local neighbourhood site and will do first call free on it. As these are unusual times.
is it snowing where you are?

Pleeeese...NO! NO! NO!
I gave you credit for not claiming to have been thrown across the room and now you've gone and completely ruined it by suggesting you could have been!!
For the record.
Anyone claiming to have been thrown across the room is telling whoppers.
Apologies I was not incoming I was thrown across the room. I remained in the same spot it just jolted my arm back. Can I have the credit back now please? :)
[automerge]1589040534[/automerge]
Thank you guys for all of your input it has been appreciated! I ended up phoning and they advised a check at A&E like you all suggested. Went on one if those beeps machines got about 20 seconds and the Doctor said all looks fine. I think what I touched was the livewire (from my research and the information posted in here).

Reply to DIY Shocker!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock