Discuss DIY Shocker!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hahaha, thanks and yeah off at board flicked off the switch labelled cooker on my fuse box.
Good to hear, hopefully you can get someone out soon to take a look.

Would the trip have limited the 9volts when I touched it or would it not have made a difference.
Not sure I understand. If you can post a picture of the consumer unit (fuse box) we might be able to see if it was RCD protected or not.

The 30mA style of RCD is designed to provide additional protection to personnel ("additional" here means after the usual steps of insulation, barriers, etc, designed to prevent contact with live parts in the first place). You can still get a nasty surprise but it ought to disconnect fast enough to keep you out of the danger zone under normal circumstances.

But RCD don't always work, and you should test them twice a year to make sure they do trip when an artificial fault is generated by the test button! When doing such tests remember to shut down and switch off at the mains PCs, TiVo boxes, smart TVs, fridge/freezers, etc, that might not like being switched off and back on quickly while you do the tests.

Hahaha, thanks and yeah off at board flicked off the switch labelled cooker on my fuse box. Would the trip have limited the 9volts when I touched it or would it not have made a difference.
the trip limits the current through your body to <30mA, which is considered to be non-fatal (hopefully). the voltage is just the "force" that makes the current flow ( similar to water pressure making water flow when you turn a tap ( akin to making a circuit)).

It sounds like a "mild shock" as you had limited contact and were able to pull away.

The bigger risk is when the shock is hand-to-hand or (in your case suspect) hand-to-foot as then it passes around the heart and can cause fibrillation (disruption of the beating pattern) and that is the most common reason for death, not major burns.

What makes things worse is the shock causes involuntary contraction, in your case probably a pull-away movement, but if you have gripped round something like a pipe/handle/etc then you find you simply can't let go no matter how you try.

These days a lot of circuits have RCD (residual current device) protection to detect the most common danger of a shock from live to earth but not all houses have that fitted, and some don't have it on fixed circuits such as cookers, etc.

As RCD became cheaper over the years the wiring regulations started to specify them on more types of circuit, but the regulations are not retrospective - you don't have to update house wiring that is otherwise safe to the standard it was installed to - and so it takes decades for these to become common.
Thanks for the explanation on the currents path through the body. I obviously have no idea of these things. I remember feeling my heart skip a beat when it occurred and despite being fully aware of everything going on, my just seeing black for a split second as my hand came away from what I have now deemed to be the livewire I caught at the back of the loose socket. I wondered if wearing a wedding ring on my left hand would at all allow the current to move from right to left arm hence feeling my heart jump/skip, or it would opt for arm to foot? It was just an after thought...

I wondered if wearing a wedding ring on my left hand would at all allow the current to move from right to left arm hence feeling my heart jump/skip, or it would opt for arm to foot? It was just an after thought...
A metal ring (or watch strap, etc) is very bad for you (electrically speaking) as it provides a much larger contact area and is often moist with sweat below so it allows a much higher current to flow :(

Good job all is fine with you though, and with any luck the cooker will be sorted and no further incidents of this sort!

Good to hear, hopefully you can get someone out soon to take a look.

Not sure I understand. If you can post a picture of the consumer unit (fuse box) we might be able to see if it was RCD protected or not.

The 30mA style of RCD is designed to provide additional protection to personnel ("additional" here means after the usual steps of insulation, barriers, etc, designed to prevent contact with live parts in the first place). You can still get a nasty surprise but it ought to disconnect fast enough to keep you out of the danger zone under normal circumstances.

But RCD don't always work, and you should test them twice a year to make sure they do trip when an artificial fault is generated by the test button! When doing such tests remember to shut down and switch off at the mains PCs, TiVo boxes, smart TVs, fridge/freezers, etc, that might not like being switched off and back on quickly while you do the tests.
Thanks for your reply. The box in a cupboard in my living room has seperate switches all labelled with the source it provides power to and all says 30 underneath each switch. However, the switch never tripped when I touched the live wire, is this due to me creating a closed circuit with the livewire and the ground?
[automerge]1589187189[/automerge]
A metal ring (or watch strap, etc) is very bad for you (electrically speaking) as it provides a much larger contact area and is often moist with sweat below so it allows a much higher current to flow :(

Good job all is fine with you though, and with any luck the cooker will be sorted and no further incidents of this sort!
Thanks for the reply. Yeah It was just a wedding ring on the other hand. Cooker is sorted now btw, had someone out yesterday. As you obviously know about the dynamics of electrical current, would there be any after effects I should keep an eye out for? Obviously I have had the ECG about 16 hours after the incident and that said the heart seemed fine. I was not sure with it being a bad shock if there could be any possible delay in symptoms, I think the situation has really scared me given I have not had much of an appetite for a day or two but I suppose that is more mental than physical.
[automerge]1589187330[/automerge]
Sounds pretty bad OP, hope you're ok. Do you feel recharged?

Doesn't half wake you up though doesn't it...:tearsofjoy:
Thanks, yeah I felt recharged after it initially occurred. It was weird and scary. Have you had something similar?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. The box in a cupboard in my living room has seperate switches all labelled with the source it provides power to and all says 30 underneath each switch. However, the switch never tripped when I touched the live wire, is this due to me creating a closed circuit with the livewire and the ground?
There are two type of protection in general use that go by the title "Automatic Disconnection of Supply" (ADS) and they are:
  • Over-current protection, which is intended to deal with a major fault that could cause the wire to overheat (and ultimately catch fire)
  • Earth leakage (residual current) protection, which is intended to protect against electric shock (and to a degree fires from insulation damage such as mice chewing the PVC layers)
Every circuit (with very few exceptions) will have over current protection, but that will not save you from electric shock as the difference is levels are enormous! Your cooker is rated at 30A, and typically you would need 5 times that to disconnect in a fraction of a second, so somewhere around 150A.

Recently (as in last decade or two) there have been moves to cover more circuits with RCD protection but it is still not universal. In particular, a fixed circuit like a cooker may not have had an RCD fitted until recently. To protect you from electric shock an RCD would be designed to trip at 30mA = 0.03A or 5000 times smaller!

If you can post a photo of the fuse box we can tell you more, but from what happened it seems very unlikely you have RCD protection on that circuit.

electrical current, would there be any after effects I should keep an eye out for? Obviously I have had the ECG about 16 hours after the incident and that said the heart seemed fine. I was not sure with it being a bad shock if there could be any possible delay
Without signs of burns, a normal ECG, and no other feeling of problems, it would be very unlikely you have anything to worry about!

There are two type of protection in general use that go by the title "Automatic Disconnection of Supply" (ADS) and they are:
  • Over-current protection, which is intended to deal with a major fault that could cause the wire to overheat (and ultimately catch fire)
  • Earth leakage (residual current) protection, which is intended to protect against electric shock (and to a degree fires from insulation damage such as mice chewing the PVC layers)
Every circuit (with very few exceptions) will have over current protection, but that will not save you from electric shock as the difference is levels are enormous! Your cooker is rated at 30A, and typically you would need 5 times that to disconnect in a fraction of a second, so somewhere around 150A.

Recently (as in last decade or two) there have been moves to cover more circuits with RCD protection but it is still not universal. In particular, a fixed circuit like a cooker may not have had an RCD fitted until recently. To protect you from electric shock an RCD would be designed to trip at 30mA = 0.03A or 5000 times smaller!

If you can post a photo of the fuse box we can tell you more, but from what happened it seems very unlikely you have RCD protection on that circuit.

Without signs of burns, a normal ECG, and no other feeling of problems, it would be very unlikely you have anything to worry about!
Hi, Thanks for the reply. So I think you would be correct to say there is no RCD on the fuse box. I have attached 4 photos which were sent to me upon purchase of the property in 2016. So the white one is currently what is installed and was done so in 2016. I am just curious to what the black box is and what the item is that is in the white cardboard box photographed?
[automerge]1589189604[/automerge]
Glad your okay.
Thanks.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. So I think you would be correct to say there is no RCD on the fuse box. I have attached 4 photos which were sent to me upon purchase of the property in 2016. So the white one is currently what is installed and was done so in 2016. I am just curious to what the black box is and what the item is that is in the white cardboard box photographed?
Photos have not shown up on the forum, I'm afraid :(
Site has been having trouble with that for a week or so...

oh ok, that is not great. Is there any other way of getting the photos added?
Oh no, that is not great. Is there any other way of popping the photo on here? Would be very keen to know the extent of the fuse box safety features for future. Thanks.

If you can put them on some image-sharing site (not Facebook!!!) and post a link to it then we can have a look.
[automerge]1589193409[/automerge]
Another trick is to put them in a PDF document, the site seems happy to have those still.

Last edited:
Anyone claiming to have been thrown across the room is telling whoppers.
That's interesting can you explain why?

Whilst labouring as a kid I was on the third rung of a step ladder and chasing a horizontal chase in a travel agency.

I'd have been 15-16 at the time and most of the details are those I was told as my recollection is very limited.

Anyway, one minute I'm chasing away the next I'm ten feet away, on my arse, covered in travel brochures, bleeding from my head with (bizarrely the only thing I vividly remember) a cracking view up the skirt of the travel agent lass who had come over to help.

I was told I had gone through a "415V armoured".

I saw the bolster that had a two pence sized semicircular chunk missing.

The lass in the travel agent said there was a flash and bang and I "flew backward and up, hitting the shelves on the wall (10ft)behind me"

Their was blood and hair on the top shelf, which was highr than I was initially working.

It may be possible I jumped backwards and up??

Would like to know why being thrown is not a possibility though.

Whilst labouring as a kid I was on the third rung of a step ladder and chasing a horizontal chase in a travel agency.

I'd have been 15-16 at the time and most of the details are those I was told as my recollection is very limited.

Anyway, one minute I'm chasing away the next I'm ten feet away, on my arse, covered in travel brochures, bleeding from my head with (bizarrely the only thing I vividly remember) a cracking view up the skirt of the travel agent lass who had come over to help.

I was told I had gone through a "415V armoured".

I saw the bolster that had a two pence sized semicircular chunk missing.

The lass in the travel agent said there was a flash and bang and I "flew backward and up, hitting the shelves on the wall (10ft)behind me"

Their was blood and hair on the top shelf, which was highr than I was initially working.

It may be possible I jumped backwards and up??

That sounds nasty! I take it you were okay then? Is something like that worse than what is described in the OP? I would imagine 415v would be deadly.

I must admit to something like that, at a similar age. There was a big bang and a power down resulted. Then the bloke in charge grabbed me by the collar and threw me across the room.

Seriously, this instance is just another example of the danger involved with DIY electrical work. Glad you're OK.
Live and learn, not all do.

I must admit to something like that, at a similar age. There was a big bang and a power down resulted. Then the bloke in charge grabbed me by the collar and threw me across the room.

Seriously, this instance is just another example of the danger involved with DIY electrical work. Glad you're OK.
Live and learn, not all do.
I have definitely learnt from this experience. I just worry of the lasting effects such instances can have on the body.

Reply to DIY Shocker!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock