Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

killing a wet-pants ain't a crime, it's a service to humankind.

Most definitely, just last week I went to connect up a 'dual fuel' towel rail among other jobs where I'd put the box for the flex outlet plate in with care to just have a nice short loop of flex, and positioned this on the left to be further away from a shower cubicle. So guess which way round the cretin fitted the towel rail element side ?:rolleyes:

Thanks chaps :)

To be brutally honest, it scared the carp out of me when I got there and saw it. From now on I don't think I'll be quite so intimidated by central heating wiring.

Bit of a mixed bag today though, had my first *BANG*. Replacing a light fitting for a landlord customer in one of her rentals, connected up, Zs was sweet, attached to ceiling, put the lights in and turn it on *BANG*. Looks like sharp edges cut into the poxy little cables running to the fittings. Suffice to say a ceiling rose is going up next week before I do an EICR on the place (no reason to do one other than she's not had one done on that property so she wants to get her paperwork in order).

And to top it off, I got rear ended in traffic crossing the bridge into Penarth on the way to this heating job, so a really mixed bag :D

Rear ended in Penarth. I'll be avoiding that place for sure

Nice neat job @SparkyChick...these are handy to keep in the van for heating wiring. They have tabs so you can loop thin cable ties through for strain relief and use leaver wagos so you don't have to ferrule the flex. If you want to be really thorough you could number the wagos and list what they are doing on the bit of lined paper provided in the lid to make an easy job for someone who works on the system next :) Buy Hager White Junction Box without Terminals J701 at The Electrical Guys - https://www.electricalguys.co.uk/hager-white-junction-box-without-terminals-j701.html?utm_source=google_shopping&m=Abstract&gclid=CN-_0YHMwNQCFRM6GwodVnoLTA

Nice neat job @SparkyChick...these are handy to keep in the van for heating wiring. They have tabs so you can loop thin cable ties through for strain relief and use leaver wagos so you don't have to ferrule the flex. If you want to be really thorough you could number the wagos and list what they are doing on the bit of lined paper provided in the lid to make an easy job for someone who works on the system next :) Buy Hager White Junction Box without Terminals J701 at The Electrical Guys - https://www.electricalguys.co.uk/hager-white-junction-box-without-terminals-j701.html?utm_source=google_shopping&m=Abstract&gclid=CN-_0YHMwNQCFRM6GwodVnoLTA

They look pretty neat, good tip. Thanks :)

In terms of terminal usage, it's wired in accordance with the boiler manufacturers instructions with slight modifications as the programmer serves the stat/programming function so the separate stats have just been taken out. I marked up the diagram in the boiler instruction manual so there is a written record, but those boxes look neat.

So, I've just started doing some work for a local plumbing firm. Got a call this morning "can you come and install a wireless thermostat". Yeah no problem I think. Get to the site and apparently this system is fully installed and working.

This was what I found in the wiring center.

View attachment 36850
On the basis of that fine piece of work, I decided to dig a little deeper.

The full list of faults went like this:-

• No earth from the FCU supplying the heating
  • Existing wireless thermostat was not connected - Cables were twisted together behind it's mounting socket... bare, no tape
  • No demand connections to the boiler only the power supply - The demand control link was still in place so this thing has been running since it was turned on maintaining the temperature of the bypass loop
I don't do a lot of heating wiring, but I can follow a wiring diagram.

View attachment 36851

Not bad for my third attempt at central heating wiring if I do say so myself. Still room for improvement, but it all works as it should through a wireless programmer and a pair of wireless thermostats (one remote for the cylinder and one for a room). And I got a decent Zs at the boiler, so it's a winner :)

It looks like the two oranges are separate, that's a tad unusual?

How did you get over the lack of cord grips?

It looks like the two oranges are separate, that's a tad unusual?

How did you get over the lack of cord grips?

I was originally going to have them feed a single demand connection, but the boiler is pretty clever, has a nice LCD on the front with a fancy menu driven control system. It has two demand inputs central heating and hot water, so I used the two. The boiler LCD then tells the customer what is demanding heat.

As for the cord grips, just clipped the cables very well after ascertaining what was going to be happening to that area of the house. Currently it's open but it is going to be boxed in. It's in a corner of a room. Opposite the wiring centre is a big hot water store and there are numerous pipes and things between the wall and that store. It's all going to be boxed in.

Not ideal I know, but I wasn't going there to rewire the thing, just to connect a wireless thermostat. Had I been to see the job before hand and known it was that bad I would have picked up a new wiring centre. It's an item that is going on my stock list :)

I was originally going to have them feed a single demand connection, but the boiler is pretty clever, has a nice LCD on the front with a fancy menu driven control system. It has two demand inputs central heating and hot water, so I used the two. The boiler LCD then tells the customer what is demanding heat.

As for the cord grips, just clipped the cables very well after ascertaining what was going to be happening to that area of the house. Currently it's open but it is going to be boxed in. It's in a corner of a room. Opposite the wiring centre is a big hot water store and there are numerous pipes and things between the wall and that store. It's all going to be boxed in.

Not ideal I know, but I wasn't going there to rewire the thing, just to connect a wireless thermostat. Had I been to see the job before hand and known it was that bad I would have picked up a new wiring centre. It's an item that is going on my stock list :)

If it's being boxed in, and that's your reasoning for not needing to provide strain relief, then presumably it will be inaccessible and therefore should be MF?
But if it is accessible then it surely needs better strain relief than nail clips into plasterboard?

I started writing a reply but got side tracked by a call out.

Dave does make a valid point, there should be strain relief. It's not perfect but in my mind the important thing is it is safer now than when I arrived at site because it's actually all properly earthed and it actually works as it should.

But hey, it's the end of a long hot glorious day that's been spent changing light fittings, replacing a failed RCD, connecting up the last circuits and appliances in the kitchen remodel I've been working on and repairing a ceiling light that nearly killed it's owner with a shock (she tried to change a bulb that exploded but had forgotten to turn it off and consequently fell off the table and pulled it down), turns out she's looking for someone to do electrical work at the hotel she manages. So life is good and there is the prospect of more work on the horizon :D

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock