Search the forum,

Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I found this while fitting some spots in another room. I can't explain what they were trying to do but the singles went to a light switch. Another electrician had already disconnected at the switch but left it live in the loft.
PXL_20220907_130751753.jpg
PXL_20220907_130013324.jpg

Its tricky when you keep uncovering things not related to the main task, I found this mess in the same property. It takes longer to trace when it lacks logic too.
There's a brown core used as a neutral feeding some under cabinet lights with the line from elsewhere, I'll need to check it's not connected to another circuit when I do second fix. All lighting is on one breaker, perhaps this is why.

PXL_20220908_124546073.jpg

PXL_20220908_140351660.jpg

PXL_20220908_134833021.jpg

PXL_20220908_135321220.jpg

Its tricky when you keep uncovering things not related to the main task, I found this mess in the same property. It takes longer to trace when it lacks logic too.
There's a brown core used as a neutral feeding some under cabinet lights with the line from elsewhere, I'll need to check it's not connected to another circuit when I do second fix. All lighting is on one breaker, perhaps this is why.

View attachment 101493

View attachment 101494
View attachment 101495
View attachment 101496

Reckon there could have been kitchen fitters in the vicinity, or what? 😏

Reckon there could have been kitchen fitters in the vicinity, or what? 😏
I would had liked to have blamed them but the old spots in the bathroom were the same odd methods (t&e used as singles, stripped sheath and leaving the earth intact) and the singles were run to the landing light. Shame as the original wiring looks neat, clips in the loft and sleeving seems to have been used.

Suppose he could have been a kitchen fitter...

The (presumably) lighting multi way connection box, I like, and have used on many occasions, but WHY did they mount it right down on the deck like that. Surely a couple of metres of extra T&E to get it up to a comfortable working height wouldn't have broken the budget.

The (presumably) lighting multi way connection box, I like, and have used on many occasions, but WHY did they mount it right down on the deck like that. Surely a couple of metres of extra T&E to get it up to a comfortable working height wouldn't have broken the budget.
The wago XL and light box were me, the XL could have perhaps been a little higher, some cables were short though. I would assume there was a round JB there at one point. The deblock box was also me as those cables didn't reach at all and hopefully, its rewired to the XL when the kitchens done.

That is some awful pipework there! How many self cutting fittings can you fit on 1 piece of pipe?! They are not good fittings, anyone thinking of using them - don't!

Yep, that plumbing in pretty shocking to be fair. But when they’ve used 2.5mm red single to bond the draining board to the pipework, it shouldn’t really surprise you…😂

No main bonding on either Gas or Water services and both tested out to be extraneous.

Landlord’s going be happy when I tell him the work involved. It’s a nicely decorated property, and carpets / flooring all look pretty new….

There's so many why's on that sub main. Why not buy the lewden board designed for the job or use a tails gland or why use green tape. Or most importantly why didn't they call an electrician 😀

I like how they used full blanks, which left no room behind for the way they routed the cables.

Tiling looks a bit ropey above window and to immediate top left corner of window.

Plus the socket obviously

A little repair job in a house in the village, and a quick glance into the bathroom… I notice a few things…

Firstly, the tiles make it look like a public convenience.

Second…. Windows are clear… no frosted glass…

And finally…. Can you spot it?

View attachment 101630

Those tiles seem to be very popular with kitchen/bathroom fitters at the moment - possibly because they are cheap.

What's the betting that was a room converted (badly) from a bedroom to a bathroom without an electrician being involved...

Socket on the wall?

Unfinished plumbing in the bath?

Owner a Newcastle fan?
Yes
Yes
And unfortunately, Yes

Dartlec. Spot on. House owner is a builder and that room did indeed used to be a bedroom.

He messed up the staircase 2 way… hence my involvement… and I’ve told him socket in a bathroom is not good.

Light pendant not good either….. and this bathroom contains the third electric shower of the house.

My parents house had a high level single 13amp socket original to when the house was wired for a plug in bar heater

I have also stayed in hotels with a single socket in the bathroom area

A little repair job in a house in the village, and a quick glance into the bathroom… I notice a few things…

The quality of the tiling in that bathroom would annoy the hell out of me especially in that bay and the floor border not lining up with the skirting tiles. The attention to detail is certainly missing

View attachment 101630
My brother hates metro tiles because of the time they take. The spacing is poor too the grout lines are all over the place.

I have had a go at tiling a few bathrooms for myself and larger tiles are easier and much nicer to work with , those tiles look a real painstaking mission to get right

I have had a go at tiling a few bathrooms for myself and larger tiles are easier and much nicer to work with , those tiles look a real painstaking mission to get right
If you get the first two or three of rows right then the rest falls into place, I find it makes it easier if you CAD it all out so all the corners look like it has been thought out

Whoever set out those tiles needs to be shot, above the window is near exact three tiles high and there are different cuts on either side, easiest thing in the world to make the niche the same height, Oh and the socket and pendant light.
Agreed, the lower bay tile rows don't even align with the reveals or walls. The floor is clearly uneven so instead of just adjusting the skirting tile cuts they have adjusted the first row of the tapered edged tiles also in places so its a lash up to say the least. Obviously the builder has done all the works himself to save a few bob and as usual, as you often find with many builders the finer details are very rough!

Whoever set out those tiles needs to be shot, above the window is near exact three tiles high and there are different cuts on either side, easiest thing in the world to make the niche the same height, Oh and the socket and pendant light.
I agree setting out this correctly would have made all the difference to the finish. To be fair though looking at the picture the walls, ceiling and floor look very uneven so it may not have been possible to work in the 3 full tiles as you suggested. This though is no excuse for the lack of thought, poor design and very bad workmanship!!

What's the betting that the metal socket face plate is not bonded back 😜

if the single core cable has a layer of insulation on it underneath the heat resistant sleeve, then presumably it is a double insulated cable?

if the single core cable has a layer of insulation on it underneath the heat resistant sleeve, then presumably it is a double insulated cable?
It's more the brown and blue on show. Unless I used double insulated singles I don't know how it could be made compliant.

sorry, i misunderstood, i presumed that there was a cover to clip over them that was not in the picture.

Quite Simpley it doesn't comply with the reg's in my opinion and because of that you should not install them.

Remember, If the place burns down or someone is injured, It is the installer (YOU) that they come after.
Financially you will probably be ok as your insurance company will probably settle the bill if you can show that the installation was done to approved standards of the time.

Hmmm, even back to the 16th edition, i remember that single insulated cables had to be enclosed to protect from accidental damage, so you might be on a sticky wicket there.
insurance may decline payment due to the fact you have been negligent.

however, you have followed the manufacturers instructions ( I presume you have read them and followed them)
so you could pass on the liability to the manufacturer if they have sold you something unsuitable for the environment that it is designed to be installed in.

NOT a position I would like to be in.

bottom line is just use a better designed light fitting, if you think it looks unsafe, don't wire it up!!!

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back