Discuss does 2392 allow periodic inspections? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes, but if the **** hits the fan at some future date, and you were called upon to prove competence, how would you do that? I do wonder how most of us would prove this. OK - 2191 in itself may not prove competence as relevant experience and current knowledge would be factors, but it would be a big part of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes quite right but like you say it doesnt proove competence so, so long as youve filled all the paperwork out properly and covered your self by ticking all the right boxes etc then you are covered if it goes belly up, as you know that document is a legal document that you have signed stating the condition of said installation, if something went wrong then the effected party would surely try and proove incompetence but how can they do this when you have produced a proper pir report?
i do see what your saying but treat it like this, what if you filled a Domestic installion certificate out when not registered with a scheme provider etc? your still testing, siging and certifying that job, not much difference between legal impacts of either situation, just gotta make sure you state the extent of works covered etc. until someone says you have to have this qual to do this type of work then id just carry on as usual, think alot is down to each person and how they rate there own competence, i.e C&G electrical installation, time in the trade etc i have no doubt that i could carry out a pir resonably well but i would need to confirm Code numbers for things as im not that up on these, but that wouldn stop me from completing a PIR as i would find this informtion out via reference books etc.

rich

I carry out PIRs on a local landlords bedsits, I use generic paperwork. However after submitting them to the local council he was told they were not acceptable as they were not under the umbrella of a 'governing body'. I phoned the council and explained I was competent to carry out these inspections, after a bit of argueing, I had to take all my qualifications down to the council offices so that I could be out on their ''competent persons register'' but this now means that they do all my part p paperwork for me!!

I am with Elecsa, I don't have 2391 or 2392, but have been told by Elecsa that as long as I'm competent to do them then I am allowed to do PIRs.
I did a one day IET course a month or so ago and did my 1st PIR the other day.

I think if you don't take the so called 'extra' for PIRs when you join a scheme, you won't be allowed to issue your PIRs on scheme providers certs either. By this I mean displaying their logo on your certs.

To do a sucessfull PIR, you just need to be competent in doing so.

competance is the key word !!! and don,t forget to have indemnity insurance !!!! pirs are not notifieable so you do not need to belong to a governing body

Rich:)

Last edited:
P.I.R. certificates are available off the shelf from Alphatek , to carry out PIR requires you to be a competant person . so qualifications and experiance count having said that who's to say an op with 2391 won't do a rush job , or just a visual. the only legal requirements are EWI even BS 7671 is not a legal requirement.
The good guy's with morals are spending dosh on qualis when Mr. esentric gets away with a francihise
and Bob the builder takes a flyer!

Hi Chaps.
I know that if you are qualified as a 'domestic installer', although you can do installation work and issue certificates, you are still not qualified to do 'Periodic Inspections' on 'dwellings' unless you also have 2391..
But how about 2392? does this also qualify you to do 'Periodic Inspections' or do you still need 2391 to do them?..

You do not have to have 2391 to carry out PIR´s. As long as you are competent then you can test and use generic paperwork.

However, some Part P bodies want to charge you for using THEIR own logo paperwork and will insist on certain certification or seperate assessment from your normal Part P assessment.

im with th nic and i was told im allowed to do periodic without the 2391 and can add it to my domestic installer scope for which they will quite happily remove more money from my bank account for. however they do reccomend the 2391but thats as far as they go.
i would recommend doing it for anyone though as i found it quite informative
the ony reason i am planning on adding it to my scope is because some letting agencies like the logo and hopefully i will make my money back with the extra work

Reply to does 2392 allow periodic inspections? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock