Search the forum,

Discuss Does MY HAMMER encourage cowboys??? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lloyd1980

Hi all

Just a quick qestion to guage peoples opinions on sites like MY HAMMER, etc
For those of you who arent aware you join MY HAMMER, they email you details of jobs with what the customer has deemed a fair price
for example

Need a rewire on my 3 bed house, 16 sockets, shower, new fuse board and new 2 way switching all in brushed chrome

suggested price £1500 in VAT ( I know but this is the stupid prices public post on)

what happens then is tradesmen bid on the work and lowest price generally gets it

have seen rewires been won for £1100 inc VAT

other work like outside lights, new 10mm shower feed, new board £300 inc VAT

you scroll down to the people winning this work and one fella didnt even have any electrical qualifications he had a City and Guilds in Wood Work:eek:
No joke lads this is what is going on right now

its faceless quoting so in my opinion every cowboy up and down the land were rubbing their hands when this site launched, There is no way these clowns can be doing the job properly at the prices they bid at - no way

The most ironic thing Ive seen in ages was when I watched Cowboy Builders last night on Channel 5 and MY HAMMER were proud sponsors of it

I did smile

what do you all think

Lloyd

forgot to add - when ever a customer posts must supply a certificate and be registered there are never any bids for the work

funny that eh ?

I thought exactly same mate. I look at the prices people are putting down for quotes and for the life of me i cant work it out! I see maybe same bloke as you Llyod applied to replace a CCU he had a City and Guilds level 1 in woodwork and joinery!!

I think it encourages cowboys big time because anyone can apply for the work!

its absolutley scandalous mate

I might post a fake job on there and see who comes knocking then rig the house with cameras while I pretend to know nothing about elektrick and see what he does

In my experience wanting to advertise as much as possible all these websites either do it for nothing or require payment the one thing they all have in common is not one of them has asked for any proof of my qualifications or work standards.

Chris

I registered with local traders and too be fair they only take on 6 of each trades person in each area, I wangled a deal where i got 2 areas for price of 1 cost me 105 quid for 6 months, first job i made 300 quid and quoting for second on sat - joined 2 months ago and they actually made me send in copies of my certs so they seem ok

This MY HAMMER business is originaly german - check out the german DAS ME HAMMER!!

the web site should be cut off, im sure its the same with gas safe work, any old clown just doing work on boilers etc

its unbeleivable, as I said any customer ( apart from taking the pi ss with the price inc VAT they post) is expecting competant tradesmen to get in touch, so you cant blame them, but mr no electrical quals but I have a city and guilds woodwork level 1- quoting for a mains change takes the biscuit !!!

I think we should all form a group and send complaints to channel 5 and trading standards about this

outside lights new radial for boiler and new spot lights £ 110 inc VAT

this is rediculous

I urge you all to check out this my hammer site and see the chumps who are posting for work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My hammer is no different than any other advertising medium, yellow pages don't ask for proof of qualification, nor do any newspapers. To be be fair and playing the devils advocat, some do cheap jobs because they 'obtain' cheap materials

Reply to Does MY HAMMER encourage cowboys??? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back