Search the forum,

Discuss Dont Bite my head off straight away! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sammyb10017

Hi All,

I'm new to the site and am after some advice from some experienced sparks and also apologise as I am almost certain this will probably have been covered before.
I have been an electrician for 7 years and for the past 6 months have been self employed. I'm very comfortable with work and havent really had to go looking for too much but it is mainly sub-contracting work for one particular company. I am after some advice in how I can approach builders/developers/other electrical companies about quoting through my company rather than subcontract on a day rate.
Myself and 2 other Electricians are interested in quoting for bigger installations but am at a loose end on how to approach companies.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Not sure I can help with advice on approaching builders & developers, I try to avoid working directly for any of these, in case they can't or won't pay me, I always prefer to work for the end-customer.

If you write a letter of introduction specifying the companies skills and capabilities and state that you would welcome the opportunity to provide them with price details for their next available undertaking to demonstrate the benefits of working with us, then this would be a start, a bit like sending a CV for a job but sending a company CV for a business cooperation.
Get contact details where possible or ask on sites who the main boss is.

If you are wanting to work for large operations then you will need to get your tender process in place first.

Good first post matey, don't be put off by some of the "aggressive" types.

I too avoid working for builders, in general they are too disorganised, add "stupid" margin to my quotes and getting payments can be a test of your nerves.

Sorry if this isn't too helpful

I too avoid working for builders, in general they are too disorganised, add "stupid" margin to my quotes and getting payments can be a test of your nerves.

Sorry if this isn't too helpful[/QUOTE
Best bit of advice from Murdoch builders are complete and utter :********* ers

Aim to get a first bigger job, document it, take photo's, ask the customer for a reference. It will be far more appealing to then approach other businesses. It's not what you can do, it's what you da do ron ron. Good luck

Sorry if this isn't too helpful

Best bit of advice from Murdoch builders are complete and utter :********* ers

I take it that the builders in Spain are just as bad as they are in the UK then?? lol!!

I take it that the builders in Spain are just as bad as they are in the UK then?? lol!!

Yeah, no doubt. The only difference being that Spanish builders often speak better English than our own. With a UK builder, you'll only hear the occasional grunt when they've scuffed their knuckles on the ground too hard.

From my limited experience, most UK "trade persons" in Spain picked up their skills/qualifications in the departure lounge at Gatwick airport!!

Let the buyer beware .......

I know a Spanish "tradesman" and he's OK. BUT he did ask me once why so many tradespeople think they can do the work of other "trades" rather than concentrating on their own strengths??

Reply to Dont Bite my head off straight away! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back