Search the forum,

Discuss Earth Leakage? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No because they can have the washer working if the dishwasher isn't plugged in..but not at the same time... So everything on apart from washer, put washer in - trips. Everything on apart from dishwasher, plug dishwasher in and it trips.... This is why I'm think combined earth leakage is tripping faulty rcd? It's bizarre to be honest!
Ah i see! It does look like a combined leakage, that rcd is tripping at an awful low value too, try replacing it

Ah i see! It does look like a combined leakage, that rcd is tripping at an awful low value too, try replacing it
If it is combined leakage how can this be solved as the main switch is the rcd. The reason im being so cautious is because this job is 150 miles away from me (go where the work is) so I need to go armed with everything and the kitchen sink!
MK LN 5780 80 AMP 30mA OLD STYLE RCD CIRCUIT BREAKER. | eBay This link is the rcd, as you can see its an old one....I need to get this right on the day so as much help as poss is very much appreiate.. Thanks again everyone! I'm still open to ideas by the way haha!!

If it is combined leakage how can this be solved as the main switch is the rcd. The reason im being so cautious is because this job is 150 miles away from me (go where the work is) so I need to go armed with everything and the kitchen sink!
MK LN 5780 80 AMP 30mA OLD STYLE RCD CIRCUIT BREAKER. | eBay This link is the rcd, as you can see its an old one....I need to get this right on the day so as much help as poss is very much appreiate.. Thanks again everyone! I'm still open to ideas by the way haha!!
First you need to find out what the leakage is, i would replace that rcd too because if it ramps at 19mA thats very low for a 30mA rcd, 24-27 is what you should be looking for. If it is higher than that you may have to split the circuit onto seperate rcd's or use high integrity earthing at socket outlets.
update: i know you should go where the work is but bloody hell! 150miles! I hope you're charging mileage!

well, for £4.95, i'd buy that RCD off ebay for starters. then find out where the local wholesalers are, so you can pick up any other bits required local to the job.

I disconnected my circuit totally from the board and tried to get rcd results and Zs results but the rcd was tripping straight away... I'm going back next week with an earth leakage meter and try again.. Thank you.

Here we go again, leave a disconnected circuit (that you have altered) over the weekend.

Do you have any sense of professional pride? Obviously not, the Friday night pint is so much more important, isn’t it?

You’re name will be mud within you’re customers circle of friends, bad news travels 50 times faster than good.

Here we go again, leave a disconnected circuit (that you have altered) over the weekend.

Do you have any sense of professional pride? Obviously not, the Friday night pint is so much more important, isn’t it?

You’re name will be mud within you’re customers circle of friends, bad news travels 50 times faster than good.

Tony, with respect, have you read this thread through its entirety? best that you do, then make a comment.

I’ve spent all my life in heavy industry.

It’s OK. We'll leave the plant shut down until Monday and I’ll sort it then.

I have never walked away from a job. I warned my (then future) wife, don’t think I will be back home at the end of every shift.
A 38 hour shift? I couldn’t/wouldn’t go home until things were running again.

OK I was paid well, but I was on a salary so didn’t get any extra. “It was expected!”

Sorry, but our ethics may be different.

I’ve spent all my life in heavy industry.

It’s OK. We'll leave the plant shut down until Monday and I’ll sort it then.

I have never walked away from a job. I warned my (then future) wife, don’t think I will be back home at the end of every shift.
A 38 hour shift? I couldn’t/wouldn’t go home until things were running again.

OK I was paid well, but I was on a salary so didn’t get any extra. “It was expected!”

Sorry, but our ethics may be different.

No Tony are ethics are not different, I want to sort this issue out, I am happy to travel 300 miles round trip to sort this out. Plus which the work I did has no fault and I advised the client to have his rcd checked. What's your advise on the issue please? Seeing as though, it seems your life was in electrics this should be a doddle.

Hi all,

Just wanted to let everyone that replied to my post that it is now solved! The problem was a faulty RCD. I got there this morning and ramped tested the RCD at the board with all the circuits switched off and got a reading of 15mA. I changed over the RCD, ramp test that and got 27mA :)
Got disconnection times of 28.8 x1 and 9.7 x5 and a Zs of 0.48. Obviously all appliances are staying on too, so customer can have washer and dishwasher running at the same time, all good!
Just a quick question - do you guys do a full installation test before you start any alterations? In hindsight this would probably spotted the problem before I started any work and I am now considering doing full testing before hand!
Thanks for your help on this subject everyone!

:)

This type of issues coming usually in the appliances so first switched off and also plugged off the appliances then do the RCD test it will show problem wherein appliances or earth leakage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Just wanted to let everyone that replied to my post that it is now solved! The problem was a faulty RCD. I got there this morning and ramped tested the RCD at the board with all the circuits switched off and got a reading of 15mA. I changed over the RCD, ramp test that and got 27mA :)
Got disconnection times of 28.8 x1 and 9.7 x5 and a Zs of 0.48. Obviously all appliances are staying on too, so customer can have washer and dishwasher running at the same time, all good!
Just a quick question - do you guys do a full installation test before you start any alterations? In hindsight this would probably spotted the problem before I started any work and I am now considering doing full testing before hand!
Thanks for your help on this subject everyone!

:)

So if everything was OK before you added these two extra sockets, then it was probably your IR testing that buggered the RCD then!!
By the way, the correct method of ''confirmation'' testing a RCD/RCBO is at the unit itself within the CU/DB, not downstream.

Reply to Earth Leakage? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock