• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
  • If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss EIC issue................................ in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello. Am a competent electrician - been taught by qualified electricians, but have no qualifications myself. I will be doing a complete rewire for a friend in Dunstable/Luton area and was wondering if it was more worthwhile to get a NICEIC/equivalent rated electrician in to produce an EIC or to get in LABC. I have an mft and can do all the tests etc but obviously would prefer a NIC guy to sign it off. Would someone do this for me?? and what sort of price.

You’d be lucky be better getting a spark in a scheme to help you with the job. Would you sign off something someone else had done?
I’m really sorry but how can you class yourself as competent a if your competence has never been assessed (not saying your not competent btw)

Ok interesting. Do you think you could give me some reasons why you wouldnt?
If you read what is required for an EIC the certifier must have either constructed the installation or been present to ensure compliance signing it off would be misleading at best and at worst would mean taking the derry should something go wrong.... I’ve seen enough rough stuff done by so called professional electricians that have quals and are members of schemes to put me off ever signing off anyone else’s work

This is not a dig at you personally so please don’t take it that way. Most sparks have seen some real crap work done by alleged competent qualified electricians let alone unqualified ones.
So imagine something goes pear shaped later, in a court of law the judge would crucify a qualified accredited spark for passing someone else work who is not in anyway qualified.
Not many would sign that off without physically seeing all cables, connections, joins cpc etc etc and I do not just mean the cables that pop out the wall I mean the cables in the wall as well.
Whilst I sympathise with you, acreditation is not easy to get and costs a spark a lot of time, money and effort why would he risk his to enable a non qualified person to carry out work they are not qualified to do.

I dunno, it happens all the time with large, even small companies.

Somebody at the company designs it and signs. Some of the companies employees install it, including subbies, QS will sign for that without even turning up. Then somebody will test it, somebody back in the office inputs the results. Might even sign for it :)

This scenario is what the 3rd Party notification scheme is for.
Contact Stroma or Napit who will inform you which of their members local to you are authorised under the scheme.
You will meet, agree the design, have the work monitored and then tested and notified at the end achieving full part P compliance

I think OP is considering basing his business model, on someone else signing for inspection & testing, and notification.
I don’t think using the third party scheme would be a financially viable method?

I take these posts as........if somebody is at a stage where they are considering and or have started rewiring an entire house they know a little about electrical installation, at least in a domestic setting, which means they already know the answer to they question but are just looking for a cheap way out......or am I being cynical ;)

Well to explain the situation - it is definitely not to base a business model on - if i were to set up as a domestic electrician then of course i would become registered and qualified etc etc... dont worry I do know and have seen the dangers of bad electrics. This 3rd party notification scheme seems to be perhaps what I am looking for - could anybody explain in any more detail as to what this is?
And btw I havent got the time to waste at college - although I would like to spend time gaining qualifications nothing really justifies the time or money spent to be honest.

Reply to EIC issue................................ in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back