Discuss EICR Classification Code for downlights that are not fire rated in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dave_

-
Reaction score
Hi Gents

Just wanted opinions on the above

I know there are various factors that could sway opinion...

Customers that have a large house with downlights throughout are not too pleased when you give them a four figure quote to rip out the lot......

Cheers

Dave

You wasn't the kind chap who told one of my customers all the downlighters i had fitted in her bungalow bathroom were 'illegal' and were about to catch fire at any moment and had to be replaced with fire rated ones immediately?

thanks for that!

Hi Gents

Customers that have a large house with downlights throughout are not too pleased when you give them a four figure quote to rip out the lot......

Cheers

Dave

If the ceiling is a fire barrier then it will fall under section 527 which requires that the fire barrier not be compromised by the electrical installation.
I would give a C3 code as it is not presenting an electrical danger but is a recommendation of an improvement for safety.

Hi Gents

Cheers

Dave

If the ceiling is a fire barrier then it will fall under section 527 which requires that the fire barrier not be compromised by the electrical installation.
I would give a C3 code as it is not presenting an electrical danger but is a recommendation of an improvement for safety.

Spot on. Exactly my view too.

and do we also seal up the stairwell to stop fire from spreading upstairs? bunk beds in the kitchen.

To a separate property?

and do we also seal up the stairwell to stop fire from spreading upstairs? bunk beds in the kitchen.
Tel your a genius, and the best guy on here without a doubt. I had exactly the same comment from a BCO the other day. Fire rated ruddy nonsense most of this, when you have the biggest Flu you could ever imagine in the shape of the stairway.
If someone has told a customer they have to have them all ripped out he should put on a mask and change his name to Turpin, and not Betty.

in an average single family house, the only requirement for fire rated downlights is in the ceiling of an integral garage.

To a separate property?

Any fire barrier, so it could be the barrier to an upstairs flat, or the ceiling of a built in garage, or the ceiling below a loft room where BC have required that fire door etc be fitted to separate that loft room, or even if the downright is installed in the pink fire line plasterboard boxing in an RSJ.
Plus of course the normal ceiling where it give 30minute protection to the void containing the floor joists.

Any fire barrier, so it could be the barrier to an upstairs flat, or the ceiling of a built in garage, or the ceiling below a loft room where BC have required that fire door etc be fitted to separate that loft room, or even if the downright is installed in the pink fire line plasterboard boxing in an RSJ.
Plus of course the normal ceiling where it give 30minute protection to the void containing the floor joists.

How many people fit downlights in their garages?

Reply to EICR Classification Code for downlights that are not fire rated in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net