Discuss EICR - Code 1 or 2 - for unenclosed conductors in choc-blocs? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Marcus Vaughan

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a couple of examples of this;

EICR - Code 1 or 2 - for unenclosed conductors in choc-blocs? IMG_1675.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

on a domestic EICR.

I'm on the fence with the coding - C1 or C2. There is no copper showing on the live parts - but I wouldn't like to grab it.

I just want to be consistent with this - I mean if it was just bare conductors twisted together then definitely C1 - but if in a choc-bloc?

I'd be interested to know how others would code it.

C1

If it had insulating tape wrapped around it then C2

Either was it’s dog rough and needs a wago box whacking on it pronto

Definitely dog-rough and will be back very soon.

The consumer unit is a big fat C1 all over - no blank plates on missing MCB's, no busbar guard, some pretty big holes etc.

Found 2 radial sockets on incorrect MCB's (B32 and B40 on 2.5mm)
(Fixed that on the spot).
No bonding to water.

etc.etc.etc.

Might put a couple of pics up on 'pics for your amusement;.

I'm going to code the choc blocs as C1.

Thanks all.

:)

Definitely do some before and after pictures

Very handy for those new to the trade and a right laugh for us old badgers ....

If you are classing as a C1, I would also issue a EDN before leaving site, preferable isolate circuit/s where appropriate and issue Isolation Cert and get the client to sign for them both. If all goes pair shape, back is covered. Isolation cert attached for your convenience.

Attachments

• ISOLATION CERTIFICATE 2018blank2.pdf
    327.5 KB · Views: 33
Been thinking of purchasing that book myself, I’m a Napit member so it’s relevant..
Possibly not suitable for those who are members of different schemes though as it may conflict with their views on different codes?

Been thinking of purchasing that book myself, I’m a Napit member so it’s relevant..
Possibly not suitable for those who are members of different schemes though as it may conflict with their views on different codes?
I'm not a NAPIT member, I'm in ECA. The way I see it is that every situation is different, but this book is a very good baseline to work from. It is ultimately the inspectors professional opinion. The subject has always been a sticky wicket as the only standard on EICR reporting really was the Electrical Safety First Best Practice Guide No 4. Though quite good doesn't go into detail as much s the Codbreakers book does.
Best practice guide 4, free to download
Codebreakers approx £20 +VAT & delivery.

Best Practice Guides | Electrical Safety First - https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/professional-resources/best-practice-guides/

It’s up to the individual inspecting to risk assess and apply a suitable code if applicable, not for some scheme to tell you what it should be!
As that code breakers ‘guide’ deem pvc cables concealed in walls without rcd protection a C2 and meter tails that are not 25mm minimum csa ( their words not mine) a C2 , I can’t take the book seriously, I feel I should not be taking advice from persons who feel that no rcd protection to socket outlets in commercial installations regardless of use or whether they supply portable equipment up to 32 amp for use outdoors or not, is a C2.
I’m sure the authors do acknowledge the fact that the codes can vary to a certain degree,depending on the situation.

Last edited:
The thing is though if you join a scheme then you should to take on board their view on matters, if you don’t agree with them then join a different scheme

The thing is though if you join a scheme then you should to take on board their view on matters, if you don’t agree with them then join a different scheme
EICR s have nothing to do with being in a scheme, as in you are not required to be in one to carry them out so it should have no bearing.

Obviously if you’re not in a scheme then you’re not gong to take any notice of their guidelines, criteria or whatever other nonsense they come out with

Reply to EICR - Code 1 or 2 - for unenclosed conductors in choc-blocs? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock