Discuss EICR test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

My friend has just had EICR test done on 3 bedroom house. 5 year old house.
The house failed on - bathroom light under 2.25m inside bathroom zone with inadequate ingress protection.
The cost for the assessment was £180.
I am qualified in NVQ 3, HNC in Electrical Engineering. 17th edition amendment 3 BS7671.
I can sort the light. However, my friend has been told after the repair it will need to be re-assed at another cost of £180.
Is this how it works to charge again if you have failure and the electrician has only the failed part to check.
Comments / advice are welcome.

No way should you have to pay another £180 to the same company , pay for the repair and that’s it

£180 for a full eicr is quite cheap thou so perhaps they realise thay messed up charging so little and now trying to claw some money back

a full Eicr 8-12 circuits is normally around £250-300

The EICR will remain unchanged after the fitting is replaced, unsatisfactory not failed. Ask for a Minor Works Certificate which is proof of the works being rectified.

Hi westward10,

I am not self employed electrician so I cant provide Minor Works Certificate.
I work for the NHS as electrician. Unless I have read your reply wrong.
Thanks

If this is a rental property the agent will require proof of the works being carried out.

Yes it is rented property. Empty at the moment. New tenants waiting to move in.
So, would I be correct in saying the landlord will have to pay the £180 again to get signed off.
Thanks

Hi westward10,

I am not self employed electrician so I cant provide Minor Works Certificate.
I work for the NHS as electrician. Unless I have read your reply wrong.
Thanks
Anyone can provide a minor works cert. as long as you have the knowledge to do the work correctly, the appropriate test equipment and a certificate to fill out. you are good to go.

The only thing you should be wary about if you are doing this on the side as a favour is that you may not have the correct liability insurance to back you up if there was ever a problem in the future.

Remember, you dont have to give the work to the guys that did the report, and you dont need to get a new report done after it has been repaired, just keep a record of the repair on file.

Hi,

My friend has just had EICR test done on 3 bedroom house. 5 year old house.
The house failed on - bathroom light under 2.25m inside bathroom zone with inadequate ingress protection.
The cost for the assessment was £180.
I am qualified in NVQ 3, HNC in Electrical Engineering. 17th edition amendment 3 BS7671.
I can sort the light. However, my friend has been told after the repair it will need to be re-assed at another cost of £180.
Is this how it works to charge again if you have failure and the electrician has only the failed part to check.
Comments / advice are welcome.

Hi James,

I dont have liability insurance.
I am looking to get my 18th Edition and part P. As well as liability insurance. looking around for course costs.
Looks like the landlord will have to get self employed electrician to repair the fault who has liability insurance.

Thanks

Hi James,

I dont have liability insurance.
I am looking to get my 18th Edition and part P. As well as liability insurance. looking around for course costs.
Looks like the landlord will have to get self employed electrician to repair the fault who has liability insurance.

Thanks
liability insurance only covers you for causing damage. nothing to stop you replacing the light and filling in a MWC. you should be able to test the circuit . Zs and RCD trip times should be recorded. and in any case, it should only be a C3 on the EICR (improvement recommended, not unsatisfactory).

Hi,

Telectrix replied it should have been C3 and not C2.
What is the process for raising these type of disagreement to the company who carried out the testing.
What evidence can I provide.

You could photocopy of 465 of your 18th edition regs book as that has one version of a minor works certificate on.
Or there is an editable one on this webpage apparently.

Hi,

Telectrix replied it should have been C3 and not C2.
What is the process for raising these type of disagreement to the company who carried out the testing.
What evidence can I provide.
Depends where the light fitting is inside/outside the zones, depends on the IP requirement, and therefore the C2/C3 Coding!

Reply to EICR test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net